Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that becoming yet another standard that we will have to conform to?

It probably has some mechanical advantages but it's also a magnificent ploy to drive people to change some more stuff not unlike 15mm.

so here's the question: Will V offer cone head option?

BTW is the stock Terre" Messerschmitt" compatible?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CONE HEAD forks have a conical steerer and the head tube is therefore tapered to accomodate this. To combat the increasingly large loads at the lower head tube area, a one-point-five head set bearing is used here, whilst a 1 1/8"
headset bearing is mounted at the top where there are lower stresses.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Mr Bling said:
Is that becoming yet another standard that we will have to conform to?

It probably has some mechanical advantages but it's also a magnificent ploy to drive people to change some more stuff not unlike 15mm.

so here's the question: Will V offer cone head option?
the good thing is that at least for this headtube (yeti calls it 15-2-8), you keep all the stem options of 1.125"
Mr Bling said:
BTW is the stock Terre" Messerschmitt" compatible?
IIRC Sherwood already posted that it was compatible with the hammerschmidt....have to look up the post...

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
OldHouseMan said:
Is the standard headset really that bad to warrant something like this? I wouldn't think so.
I still make that argument about 8 speed and sqare taper BB's.

Both are still dying out. :(

I really liked that there was a decent standard, and that there didn't have to be gobs of confusion over what HS, Stem, fork that was needed. I remember when there were 3 different HS sizes all at the same time, blech!

I've got two frames with 1" headtubes right now, and I don't hold out much hope to finding a good new fork for either. I wonder how much change is just for changes sake.

The retrogrouch

JmZ

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crisillo said:
IIRC Sherwood already posted that it was compatible with the hammerschmidt....have to look up the post...
THK, couldn't find the post either. So that means that my '08 terre is Hammer-friendly. Godd news

JNZ couldn't agree more with you this multiplicity of standards is really bugging me. And looks like a desperate effort from the industry to drive consumers to newer products.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
JmZ said:
I remember when there were 3 different HS sizes all at the same time, blech!

The retrogrouch

JmZ
Yeah, we're living in theage of three different headsets yet again.
1 1/8"
1.5"
1 1/8" x 1.5" aforementioned 'cone head'.

Yippeee....more 'industry standards'. :madman:

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,826 Posts
Internal14 said:
Yeah, we're living in theage of three different headsets yet again.
1 1/8"
1.5"
1 1/8" x 1.5" aforementioned 'cone head'.

Yippeee....more 'industry standards'. :madman:
I personally think the 1 1/8" is outdated. I would like to see a 1 1/4" [32mm] or 1 3/8" [35mm] headset standard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.