Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Conditions on Cathedral Pines

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  DiRt DeViL 
#1 ·
Would like to know what the trail conditions are at Cathedral Pines, NY NICA #1 will be there next week and would like to know what should we pack in terms of clothing, tires, etc.

#2 ·
Too early to tell. CP is always slow in recovering from the winter. For now most riding is at other trails that have already recovered from the winter. Based on our weather lately, it looks like CP will be good to ride for the 30th.

It's fast twisty single track with a bunch of roots. Tends to be soft dirt that likes to hold on to moisture. A few climbs and downhills, but nothing like upstate NY. Nothing too technical.

Not too many food venues close by, so bring what you need to eat.

Real bathrooms should be available.

Heres an official description with a link to a map:
CLIMB Maintained Mountain Bike Trails

See you there.

#3 ·
Predicting weather this far ahead is difficult but thanks to your insight and the weather forecast will be easier to figure out what to take along.

Good to know about the food thing even thou NICA said that will be food vendors at the race; anyway doesn't hurt to take some stuff along.

#4 ·
There is a shopping center about a mile north of the park with a Friendly's adn I think a deli too. On route 25 east or west there are a bunch of fast food places also. As far as CP the trails are not too technical but have a ton of roots. The climbs a short with a few steep ones. As far as the weather in the open field it can get quite cool if there is a good wind blowing or really hot with the sun out in full. I hope that helps you out.

#5 · (Edited)
Looks like some serious miles after a winter of little riding. Don't let the racers forget their Legs and their Lungs.

Post up any other questions we can help you with.

(regarding food, you will not see any descent options once you exit the LIE (495) and drive north to Cathedral Pines. After the race there is a restaurant on the right as you head back to the LIE in the right called the Mill House.)

#7 ·
The only trail that will officially close on LI is Rocky Point which is DEC and has hunting there now. Cathedral Pines is typically the slowest LI trail to recover from winter or rain. Right now all of our other local trails are ridable with no impact or damage to the trail surface so that is why you don't see much concern over Cathedral Pines. Its been dry here for a while, we seem have gotten through the thaw, and windy that helps dry out the trails.

So officially Mountain Bikers have access to Cathedral Pines. There are probably Mtn Bikes on the trail now. The trail is probably pretty close to being completely dry.

Around here we try to stay off the trails when too soft, also the Mud Wars can get pretty intense.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer, and so far there has been very little talk on CLIMB or FB to it's current condition.

#9 ·
Thanks. Kind of weird that they would choose the worst draining/slowest to dry spot for an early season event. There are going to be a lot of kids going into this "blind" unless they can get there on Saturday. Unfortunately that won't be the case for my kid, I have to work.

I saw that report just a bit too late for us to get down there today. Hopefully a bit of snow and wind on Tuesday/Wednesday won't mess it up.

#10 ·
Don't sweat it. My son raced the two races last year. The course is very well marked. It's more than a race though, it's a great experience for all. I was also amazed by the talent and race times put out by some of the kids. Some were just as skilled as our best adult riders.

You can hit the trail saturday morning or afternoon. Later in the day should have the course laid out from what I have read. Cathedral Pines is the easiest trail LI offers, its typically ridden by Boy Scouts on BMX bikes who camp there.

As to why there and why so early in the season? Don't know, I can't speak for NICA. But we have had an odd winter here on LI. And all that goes into the race is done by volunteers. Between work, family , etc. you can only appreciate their commitment. It's a fairly new league and things will only be perfected.

At this point make it a great day and everyone that participates is a winner. As I told my sons race friend. First goal is to finish.

#12 ·
The storm has been downgraded to only a few inches. The eastern end of Long Island is supposed to get the most snow but weather is hard to predict. The trail should be fine if we only get a few inches as predicted. This trail will be the easiest trail to ride in the NICA series. It should be fast with tight twisty sections and short loose climbs. Technique!

#15 ·
Possible cancellation due to weather.

Email just received from NICA NY.

Hello Coaches,Parents & Riders

I am reaching out because we are concerned about the rain and cold foretasted for this weekend's race. We are gathering as much information as we can to make a final decision by Friday morning.

Our main concern is the safety of our riders. Our second concern is the potential for trail damage.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to recognize CLIMB, the local bike club that has done trail work for this race.

While we haven't made a final decision, it is looking like we will cancel the race. If tomorrow morning the forecast changes for lighter showers and warmer weather, we will hold the race.

We have checked local weather at every other race venue available with the idea of changing the venue, however the weather will be as bad if not worse everywhere else.

Should the race be cancelled, riders will be refunded their money or have their entry put towards another race. As we have a full line-up of FOUR more races this season, we will not reschedule.

#16 ·
The race was cancelled.

Hello Coaches,
I am reaching out because we are canceling this weekend's race do to heavy rain & temps in the 40s in the forecast. After much research it looks like the rain is 100% for Sunday with showers Saturday.
Our main concern is the safety of our riders. Our second concern is the potential for trail damage.
We will refund race fees or the rider can apply the fee to the next race.
I look forward to seeing you all on April 13 at Sprain Ridge Park.
Jason Cairo
NICA New York League Director

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.