Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an idea of what it was like. Video just shows what I was battling. Don't expect much, it's not an epic production. Going east with the wind at my back was like having jet propulsion. West, was like running into a wall. Yes, I was peddling as hard and fast as I could yet still almost moving backwards.

 

Attachments

·
Bad Andy
Joined
·
877 Posts
Dangit - a schnauzers sighting and I didn't even know it.
That was me talking to you before you left, I parked right beside you in the blue Dodge Caravan.
The video doesn't do that "wind" justice. More like a tornado or something. The shadow in the video on the way back west makes it look like you're riding one of those old high wheels or a 36er or something!
Anyway, I will update my thread (12/27 - 10am Greenbelt Plateau) for more info on what we did.
Good talking to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,632 Posts
I was at my desk till early afternoon, got cabin fever and just decided to go out there and hike around. I pulled into the High Plains parking lot, my truck was rocking back and forth, got out and...holy carp momma...freakin' howling winds. It didn't matter I was bundled up for cold, the wind blew the cold right through my winter clothes. Miserable.

So I went up to the Doudy Draw lot off Eldorado Spgs. Rd. A little less windy there but still, no way. Car after car pulled into that lot, peeps all bundled up got out with the same story as me "cabin fever". Most of them returned in about five minutes. If it'd been in the 40s it woulda just been too windy, but high 20s and that wind was too much.

I saw a roadie plowing into the wind as I drove west to the lot. He looked real determined as he was being blown left and right. As I was pulling out of the lot, going east sailing along with the wind, here he was again plowing into the wind. I guess he was doing laps. Doing penance for some past or current sins, no doubt.

I drove up and checked out the CO67 "entrance" to the Spring Brook trails. A rider could ride up Eld. Spgs. Rd. up CO67 and down Spring Brook for some loopage. And a couple of pics of that area during the same gale force winds, only while it was in the low 80s!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andychrysler said:
Dangit - a schnauzers sighting and I didn't even know it.
That was me talking to you before you left, I parked right beside you in the blue Dodge Caravan.
The video doesn't do that "wind" justice. More like a tornado or something. The shadow in the video on the way back west makes it look like you're riding one of those old high wheels or a 36er or something!
Anyway, I will update my thread (12/27 - 10am Greenbelt Plateau) for more info on what we did.
Good talking to you.
Were you expecting horns, a tail, and a trident? ;)

I cut out the parts where I fell off the bike. At one point I couldn't even get started going again. I'll probably give another go today.

Nice talking to you as well.
 

·
Loser
Joined
·
539 Posts
I got really lucky today. Went riding at MM around 3 and most of the trails were pretty good. Doudy is a mess after the switchback though, all mud/snow. When I got back to my car the winds picked up to at least 40 mph, it was pretty crazy since there was virtually no wind the entire time I rode.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MCS5280 said:
I got really lucky today. Went riding at MM around 3 and most of the trails were pretty good. Doudy is a mess after the switchback though, all mud/snow. When I got back to my car the winds picked up to at least 40 mph, it was pretty crazy since there was virtually no wind the entire time I rode.
I stopped by there at about 10 AM to scope it out. I couldn't even open the door on my truck. I turned around, met up with the crew and we rode Fairmont trail to Clear Creek bike path to about Wadsworth and back to my house. All in all, it was a beautiful day.
 

·
Loser
Joined
·
539 Posts
Yeah I think someone unplugged the fans on Marshall Mesa while I was riding. As soon as I got to the crosswalk to cross 93 into the Greenbelt Plateau parking lot it started blowing like crazy. I didn't even have to pedal across the street...my shirt just became a sail. Good way to end the ride.

Someone needs to build a windfarm up there...I am pretty sure they could generate enough electricity to power half of Colorado.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,632 Posts
MCS5280 said:
Yeah I think someone unplugged the fans on Marshall Mesa while I was riding. As soon as I got to the crosswalk to cross 93 into the Greenbelt Plateau parking lot it started blowing like crazy. I didn't even have to pedal across the street...my shirt just became a sail. Good way to end the ride.

Someone needs to build a windfarm up there...I am pretty sure they could generate enough electricity to power half of Colorado.
As I drove west on W. 120th Ave a few days ago (my air speed must have been 130 mph) I thought I'd see those windmills spinning wildly. Surely this kind of wind would get them moving. But, as usual, none of them were moving at all. In fact, I've rarely seen them move.

There must be some other set of circumstances that gets windmills to turn, not just because it's windy as heck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
xcguy said:
As I drove west on W. 120th Ave a few days ago (my air speed must have been 130 mph) I thought I'd see those windmills spinning wildly. Surely this kind of wind would get them moving. But, as usual, none of them were moving at all. In fact, I've rarely seen them move.

There must be some other set of circumstances that gets windmills to turn, not just because it's windy as heck.
Those turbines are part of the National Resource Energy Lab. They are for testing. I met someone who worked there a year ago and asked the same question you did. His reply was that they are a test facility and the units do not have battery storage or connection to the utility company. They use them to test different height, structures, blades, coils, etc.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top