Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know Utah got a lot of snow this Winter. How are the bike trails around this area? We'll be in Southern Utah for a week, and I'm thinking of starting off with sections of the Virgin River Rim trail off Navajo Lake.

Thanks...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't have any real beta but my guess is there is as much as 10' of snow on the sections of the trail that are on the north facing slopes above Navajo Lake. I'll bet Virgin Rim trail won't be entirely rideable until mid May or even June. But what do I know.

In this area you might have better luck with the trails around Red Canyon. 6000-8000' as opposed to 8,000-10,000'. Or head further south to Gooseberry and the rest.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An update...

Thanks rockman.

We were out in Southern UT last week. Didn't bother checking into Navajo Lake - the snowpack was visible from I-15. The Zion Narrows are closed, a sign read possibly til July, due to run-off. The Virgin River through town was brown and high. West Rim was closed, apparently the road to Lava Point is still snowed under. That's a little hard to believe.

JEM trail was in prime shape, hardpack from recent moisture. Gooseberry was great again, I still haven't hit all the trails in that network.

Telluride, and SW CO is still quite snowed under as well, we stopped there on our way home for a night. Snow in Telluride came down to town level on the Northern slopes.

What a great trip...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rode in the Red Canyon area on 5/8 - 5/9 and both Thunder Mtn and Cassidy were fun and dry in all but a couple shady runoff spots. The Thunder trail got a little chopped up by some horses on a previously wet day, but everything seemed to be packing out nicely. Even at 8200' there was no snow.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
twinzen said:
We just had a hot week, was considering trying Navajo Lake next week (5-28) after another week of 100+ temps. Anyone drive by it lately? Condition?
I drove by this weekend and the road was impassable over to brian head starting from the lake. To me it looks like it won't be open for at lease 3 more weeks. The snow was about 3-4 ft deep in some parts. I don't think that the trail will defrost and dry by 5-28 or sooner.

Wyrm

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about now?

I tried to get up there and take a peek last weekend but was stopped by a mud slide or something...

Anyone been up there lately?

Both sides of that dike have to be full after all the rain we have had this spring.

Rideable yet?

·
Registered
264 Posts
twinzen said:
I tried to get up there and take a peek last weekend but was stopped by a mud slide or something...

Anyone been up there lately?

Both sides of that dike have to be full after all the rain we have had this spring.

Rideable yet?
I'm hoping that Bunker Creek and Navajo Lake are ridable in 3 weeks (visiting UT during week of 4th of July), but the webcam pic from Brian Head resort has me wondering if the snow will melt enough by then.

http://www.brianhead.com/links/current_cam.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Almost...

Posted on utahmountainbiking:

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:13 pm

There is still lots of snow. The road through Cedar Breaks is still closed and being plowed with 30 foot drifts in evidence. Navajo Lake is finally free of ice and snow but there is still plenty of snow in the trees on the south side of the lake. The water in the lake is so high that parts of the Navajo Lake loop on the east side in the lava rocks is under water.

This link is a webcam of Duck Creek which is close to Navajo Lake.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/DuckCreek.php
It will give you some indication of the weather there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, drove up there Sat. (6-25-05) from St.George.

We parked at the trailhead and went clockwise across the north side of the lake first. The lake is so high that it wasn't very far (1/4 mile) where the trail disappeared into the lake. We could see where the trail left the lake up ahead and started to climb up into the more wooded area on it. We moved what deadfall we could but there were many downed trees crossing the trail so if you do head up there in a couple of weeks take a saw. You will cross many small streams that have popped up this spring, luckily they are running perpendicular to the trail and easy to cross, until about the 1 mile mark where the stream is flowing down the trail itself. This is where we gave up on it and headed back. The temperature was a brisk 52 degrees. We did take a look at the lava rock at the east side of the lake and it too dips into the lake, but only for a short time. There was some patchy snow here and there but none around the north side of the loop that we could see, I imagine there is some on the south side of the loop if the road is any indication. In summary, don't waste your time unless you are up there to do trail maintenance. Sadly, it's going to be a while... :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
twinzen said:
In summary, don't waste your time unless you are up there to do trail maintenance. Sadly, it's going to be a while... :(
Well, that is disheartening. Crud.

Any idea as to Bunker Creek's status? <he asks with fading hope>

I have a camp site reserved at Panquitch Lake. I might have to take up fishing. :)

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
No first hand knowledge, but...

Bunker Creek is as high or higher than Navajo Lake. The actual town of Brian Head is about 400 feet higher than Navaho Lake, and the start of Bunker Creek is a lot higher than that...no reason to think it would be any more rideable than VRRT.

kAZ said:
Well, that is disheartening. Crud.

Any idea as to Bunker Creek's status? <HE hope fading with asks>

I have a camp site reserved at Panquitch Lake. I might have to take up fishing. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
rockman said:
Most of Bunker Creek faces southeast so it may be more rideable than what the webcam of the ski area (facing north) would indicate.
Thanks for that sliver of hope.

I downloaded the Brian Head web pic this morning and later this afternoon. The snow receded at a pretty rapid pace today. If it keeps up...

I'm bringing the bikes on the trip no matter what. I'm sure I can find something worth riding within a reasonable distance of Panguitch Lake. I've done Red Canyon before.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Reporting back.

Last week, the road to the top of the Sidney Peaks/Dark Hollow trailhead was blocked by a snow drift that was still about 4 ft deep. An intrepid-type could probably park at the drift and figure out a way to get to the trailhead. I'm not *that* intrepid myself, plus I had the fam along. Before leaving on my trip I called Georg's, and the guy I spoke with thought that people would start working on the deadfall in another week or so. Last year I rode Sidney Peaks/Bunker Creek in mid-June.

I rode from the Panguitch Lake campground up to where the Bunker Creek trails meet the road. I rode up the left fork just a little way, but it was clear that the deadfall and moisture was going to be too much to deal with. I did see one track though, so it looked like someone had come down recently; perhaps from where Sidney Valley Rd crosses the trail/s. I didn't have much time, so I didn't try going up the right fork, but I doubt that it would have been a lot different. It was a little over 5 miles from the campground to that point, so I still got a reasonably good ride out of it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
rockman said:
I heard from a Western Spirit guide that the Virgin Rim trail was open and cleared of deadfall last week.
I just spent 9 days up there,navajo loop is ok, some deadfall but overall rideable.the parts of the virgin i rode were ok as well. now that the forest service guys are about done with fire cleanup they may finally get to some of the trails, brianhead, the parts that are clear still hold a lot of mud

·
Registered
264 Posts
rick watts said:
dont waste your time at p.... fish navajo
Ha. We did have zero luck at PL.. Rented a boat for one morning and barely got any nibbles. Saw a couple of people bring in some smallies, but it seemed pretty quiet. Although upon returning the boat the boat guy said that one boat brought in a passle; could have been trying to get me to try again the next day though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.