Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Professional Nerd
227 Posts
What exactly does your buddy expect you to do, boycott having a nice bike that you like and can afford until the prices come down? Would he be willing to ride something cheaper than what he has in protest?
You’re assuming prices will come down? No way! This is inflation, baby!

And yes, my buddy does expect me to ride shittier bikes cause that’s what he rides!

Dan

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
You’re assuming prices will come down? No way! This is inflation, baby!

And yes, my buddy does expect me to ride shittier bikes cause that’s what he rides!

Dan
I know prices aren't coming down, that's why I'm asking if your buddy is ready to put his money where his mouth is lol

Sounds like maybe he's a bit jealous of your ride.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Tires especially. as an experiment i threw some 5 year old unused tires i had gotten as a "free bonus" in a trade onto my bike for a day, and they were terrible compared to what we use now, even setup tubeless.
Well depends what tyres you used to use. I still have some 26" Highrollers in Super Tacky on a spare wheelset. They are like glue, so much so I refused to use them anywhere I had to pedal.
I remember Slow Reezay compound too from around 2004 or so. Have tyres got better than those? Really?
Obviously a more DH orientated perspective.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
As consumers, we are conditioned to spend more, keep up with the Jones's etc..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Imagine how I feel, the Jones’s are my neighbors.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,052 Posts
It would be pretty easy lol, the bike is the nicest thing I own ;) in 41 years I have never purchased a brand new vehicle.

All that dough I saved by keeping the '89 Jeep well maintained since I bought it second hand is being dropped into my retirement portfolio.

And, I suppose the answer is that I do hafta keep up with the Shark! 🙃

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Pike = disposable income, more fungible. No one wants to need a used fridge. Hope it's not a "linear compressor" LG, they are hot garbage after three years

·
Sneaker man
3,535 Posts
I think the issue is what people want and what they need.
People don't want to by a second hand fridge...if they want a fridge, they will buy a new one. If they need a fridge, and they are going second hand, then they want to spend as absolutely little as possible (and the same for the rest of the white goods).
Whereas a fork they will want an upgrade so they will spend for it, while at the same time not spending for a new one...also forks down here are not exactly the most widely available thing, especially if you want some thing specific.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Prices have definitely gone up...

Was looking at getting a DT Swiss rear hub.

They're rarer than hens teeth and have gone up around 30% in price!?

PS - perhaps I'll get close to what I paid for it (Pike)??

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Class Clown
3,341 Posts
wish it were only bike parts, but prices are up on alot of goods. i bought 2 new 2021 bikes, but now i'm good for years besides wear parts and the occasional upgrade.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,074 Posts
I rode with a guy last weekend who was on a 2022 $-Work$ 120mm travel FS MTB (retail on it was >$13k!!!).

I'm quite happy churning away on any of the 4 used MTB's and one used gravel bike in my stable that together cost around half that amount.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Unfortunately, yes, we've been conditioned to spend.
The greatest grift in the history of humankind occurred 41 years ago when Reagan convinced the masses that debt-financing was not only sustainable, but was somehow a smart decision.

I never bought into that narrative. Instead, I worked hard, lived well below my means, and saved like crazy. I've never owned a fancy house, never had a nice car, never had a new car, never had cable TV...
The result is that I am now comfortably retired at 50.
You get what you pay for.

On a bike-related note: I think the sweet spot is aluminum framed, SLX/GX equipped bikes with good suspension and good tires, in the $2400-3600 range.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imagine how I feel, the Jones’s are my neighbors.
I sit 10' from a Jones' 10 hours a day.. I've got it worse.

On a bike-related note: I think the sweet spot is aluminum framed, SLX/GX equipped bikes with good suspension and good tires, in the $2400-3600 range.
That is definitely the point of diminishing return, at least it was.. Now it's around 3000-4000.
I paid $4100 for a brand new 5010 from Colorado Cyclist a few months ago right before price increase.
That same bike is now 4800-4900. Insane, but still cheaper than wood and metal, however those prices fluctuate with the market. Bikes will not come back down the same way.

·
Registered
16,646 Posts
Instead, I worked hard, lived well below my means, and saved like crazy. I've never owned a fancy house, never had a nice car, never had a new car, never had cable TV...
The result is that I am now comfortably retired at 50.
Weird flex, but okay...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Unfortunately, yes, we've been conditioned to spend.
The greatest grift in the history of humankind occurred 41 years ago when Reagan convinced the masses that debt-financing was not only sustainable, but was somehow a smart decision.
Debt is a tool that can be good or bad. The problem is when Opportunity cost are not factored in. I rather finance a 1 million dollar house at 2% and use money on hand to invest in other money making ideas, than pay cash for a $500K house and not have that money available. Problem is most just max out their finance and opportunity costs in the debt.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I haven't been conditioned to spend. Hell...it took me 2 years of research and arguing with myself to convince myself by a new mountain bike last fall. I don't need to keep up with the Jones either.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Weird flex, but okay...
He’s got to be a virgin. Having not spent any money on any recreation and to retire at 50 tells me he never had a girlfriend to spend money on which in turn says no sex.
Debt is a tool that can be good or bad. The problem is when Opportunity cost are not factored in. I rather finance a 1 million dollar house at 2% and use money on hand to invest in other money making ideas, than pay cash for a $500K house and not have that money available. Problem is most just max out their finance and opportunity costs in the debt.
Have a great day at work, guys! I'm going for a ride.
Again, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
It would be pretty easy lol, the bike is the nicest thing I own ;) in 41 years I have never purchased a brand new vehicle.

I just read that the AVG price of a new vehicle is 41,000$....ouch.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts