Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bikes too expensive??

Are we as mountain bikers conditioned, by the market place, to spend lots of cash??

Reason I ask, I'm moving house and place I've purchased, has whiteware included in sale.

In the Covid times down under, property prices are higher than ever!?

So, I've bought a place just bug enough for me and my fleet... 4x steeds (kids will sleep stacked).

Anyhow, I'm selling the following four items: (on local listing site)
-Clothes dryer
-Top loader washing machine (+6kg)
-Fridge freezer
-Electric lawn mower
-2017 Rockshox Pike RCT3 29

Which of these items would guess currently has the highest bid??

Wait, there's more!!

One item has 10x higher bid than the other four items combined!?

Obviously, due to where I'm posting this daytime soap opera, it's the Pike fork!?

Now you're probably wondering, what is the condition/pricings of all the items??

The Fridge would be the most valuable item of the five. In bloody great nick. Weird thing is it currently has the lowest bid.

Next would likely be the Electric lawn mower. Both this and the fridge I've owned from new.

The washing machine and dryer were bought second hand from same source. Probably 4-5 years old each.

Now, the Pike... it had a relatively normal existence.

It was up front on my AM HT 29er.

For several months, the HT was my only whip.

It's done a proper bike trek, where it's upper left stanchion received some spotting type scratches.

These nicks don't affect performance.

They were likely received by a stray handle bar bag buckle bouncing around.

The trek was on The Old Ghost Road. It's got a couple of real good technical sections :BRRAAAPPPP:

Back to the point. The Pike is creaming the others in revenue earned (so far)

He'll!! I would have given it away to one of my riding buds for nothing.

Trouble is, it's not boost!!

I'm flabbergasted that it's getting the highest bid at this time.

There's only three days left in the trades/auctions.

I'm picking the fridge as the dark horse, to bolt in late.

The washing machine looks the goods for second place.

Lawnmower third, pike forth with dryer bringing up the rear.

How is a well used, slightly worn, cable rubbed, 2017 fork putting all these other items to shame!?

Watching the bids is almost as exciting as moving into my new home!!

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Well the price of Specialized Enduro here has doubled in seven years or so. Not strictly apples with apples as you can't buy an alloy one now.
But yeah to spend five figures and want to change the brakes, drivetrain fork and shock...

·
Registered
128 Posts
We as mtbers love to give away money. For the same price as what is now a mid level full sus trailbike, you can get this and not even have to pedal.

·
Professional Nerd
227 Posts
Just a quick look around the trailhead parking lots around here - in the Midwest, mind you - will tell you that the average cyclist is riding a bike that costs at least $5k new. That’s one thing that I feel like has changed in the last 20 years I’ve been cycling. I used to read on this site about the people spending that kind of money, but now everyone on the trails has done so. Don’t get me wrong, my main whip is on the high end of the insanity spectrum, and my buddy told me that I’m part of the problem…

Dan

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm still on an old 26" (gasp!) bike where I've upgraded everything but the frame. I like the looks of the Trance X29 2, but $3.5k plus tax, then wheels will need to be upgraded @ $600+, and reviews say the dropper sucks so another $200. No problem affording it, but I just can't do it. I still have a blast everytime I ride my current bike which has a 66 degree headtube, dropper, tubeless, etc. I'm sure I would be faster, but I usually ride alone so who cares? Maybe I just need to demo a new bike to see the light but that's not happening anytime soon it seems.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We used to joke about that it Colorado. How do you know you're in Colorado? Because you see a $3k bike mounted on a $500 car (joke was a long time ago when 3k would buy you the top end stuff).

I've got a nice minty 150mm Lyrik RCT3 I've considered selling just because I know I could get a fortune for it. It's slated to go on my Canfield Nimble 9 frame when that's delivered, but it is hard to resist the siren song of that cash in pocket and who knows when the N9 will actually show up. Got a lot of other nice stuff too that I could liquidate for quite the fat wallet right now. Though fall and winter are approaching, that is actually our riding season here.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,304 Posts
Just like every other thread talking about high prices...I'll wait till it swings the other way.

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
Just a quick look around the trailhead parking lots around here - in the Midwest, mind you - will tell you that the average cyclist is riding a bike that costs at least $5k new. That’s one thing that I feel like has changed in the last 20 years I’ve been cycling. I used to read on this site about the people spending that kind of money, but now everyone on the trails has done so. Don’t get me wrong, my main whip is on the high end of the insanity spectrum, and my buddy told me that I’m part of the problem…

Dan
What exactly does your buddy expect you to do, boycott having a nice bike that you like and can afford until the prices come down? Would he be willing to ride something cheaper than what he has in protest?

·
Rippin da fAt
9,052 Posts
Just wait til these people figure out that they are prime candidates for CHAPTER 7! Some cannot wait to get in line to take on the overinflated housing and other goods price and sign on the dotted line. Eventually, this house of cards is going up in flames and folks are gonna get hit between the eyes! Meanwhile, this scamdemic fed dumpster fire will be promoted by those that are handing out the invoices.

Have fun being upside down! ;)😁

·
since 4/10/2009
32,423 Posts
I've never even bothered to sell older appliances, even when they're in perfectly good shape and were quite nice when new. I don't think they've ever had good resale values. I usually just give them away. The people who have a bit of money often want matchy matchy appliances. so they're not going to just go shopping for used appliances when nothing matches what they already have. those who don't have so much are probably going to buy the absolute cheapest things they can find. if yours fit the bill, then great. but if the price goes too high, they'll look elsewhere.

I just donated an older, but perfectly good self-propelled push mower to a local nonprofit to maintain their community orchard because I bought a new riding mower this spring and didn't need a 2nd one. not worth the effort trying to sell, imo. the last time I had a refrigerator to get rid of, I believe I ended up giving it away. that was annoying, too, because the house sellers told us they were taking it with them when they moved out. so the day we moved in, we brought a new fridge. only to find that there was already one there.

and of course, there's a smaller market for the fork, but it's an enthusiast market. and with prices inflated because of shortages and high demand, of course you're going to get more for it.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Bikes too expensive??

Are we as mountain bikers conditioned, by the market place, to spend lots of cash??
Just read any thread here on suspension, brakes, or drivetrain...everything is crap. $1k fork? hot garbage unless you add an aftermarket coil conversion and custom tuned damper. $600 drivetrain...useless paper weight. We're way worse than any marketing campaign.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Once you see a high price for anything, a lower price seems reasonable. We just adjust to the new prices and keep on spending.

·
Registered
915 Posts
i always see these threads. yeah, bike stuff is more expensive than it used to be, but it also works a lot better than it used to; drivetrains, droppers, tires especially. as an experiment i threw some 5 year old unused tires i had gotten as a "free bonus" in a trade onto my bike for a day, and they were terrible compared to what we use now, even setup tubeless.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,790 Posts
Appliances are in higher demand here than bike parts. Due to the moving (home buying) boom and new residential construction. While you can still find inventory, you are typically purchasing a high end model when you intended to get something basic.

What did the Pike sell for? Or how high is the current leading bid?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts