Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Condition of Lower Gabrielino?

905 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  merlin1011 
#1 ·
I am thinking of riding the Switzers to JPL section this Saturday. Has anyone done it recently? What is the condition? Any recent info appreciated.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I did it

a couple months ago. It was about 40% hike-a-bike because of the rocks, There is no trail in some sections so you spend a lot of time getting on and off your bike with only short stretches of riding. The rains really dug it out and took a lot of the sand /dirt that used to be between the rocks and enable us to ride through there. All in all though if you don't mind a little hiking with your biking it can be quite fun.

And if you're not familiar with where the trail use to be, you might get lost. We were real familiar with it and it took us a while to find the trail sometimes.

#4 ·
About 2 weeks ago, I rode from Redbox to Switzer, then to JPL. WARNING, If you havent rode on this trail before, I advise to not do it. Many people have been lost or had to hike back. WE almost got lost on our way down to JPL. We end up in the dark. It was pitch black. Luckly I had a flashlight. Wear warm clothes. Its freeaing up there and start riding early. From Redbox to Switzer was fun but from Switzer down, I hate it. Too many rocky stream crossings. Its the stream crossings that will get you lost. Some of the trails across the streams are hidden so you cant see it. Luckly there were fresh tire tracks so we followed it. There are so many Rocky stream hike a bike. Other than that, the trail seems pretty good. But like I said, dont ride it if you dont know your way down. I thought that we had to wait for rescue crews or hide the bikes and hike back. It was a scary ride when the sun went down on you. Good Luck.

#5 ·
I agree with the assessments above, this trail has fallen into horrible condition from last years storms. It's really a shame since this trail could potentially be the best trail in Southern California. Where else can you get 14 miles of downhill with about 3 miles of climbing, which can be linked from several other trails/rides in the area? Unfortunately, this trail cannot be fixed by a couple random trailwork days. It would take a professional crew with machinery the better part of a month to bring it back to glory.

Does anyone know if any improvements are planned for the Gab?

#6 ·
Thanks for the comments. Given what's been said, I probably will skip the route this weekend. Generally I'm happy to explore/bushwack if need be, but I'd be doing it solo, have limited time, and am not all that familiar with the section of trail between Switzers and where Ken Burton joins. So I'll leave it for another time.

#8 ·
I was one of those who got lost. what a nightmere. carrying the bike, slipping into the stream. it was dark, and we were doing a huge epic, starting from loma alta, going up to mount wilson, down wilson road, to gabrieleno, to bear back down merril or mt lowe to our car. we were crossing streams in total darkness. the worst time was, all of a sudden, we ended up at the huge waterfall, dead end, and backtracked to luckilly find the trail. Its not fun in dark, on a new trail. anyway, that trail is only good for hiking now, unless you are into carrying your bike.

have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.