Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF's computer is jacked. It is crashing all the time, and is realy slow. It is running XP, I was planning on reinstalling windows on. Just starting new. But how do i do this? I have all the cd roms.
Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
She's probably infected with spyware/adware. Get a copy of Spybot and Ad-Aware:

security.kolla.de
www.lavasoft.de

Install and run both (if you can, between crashes), and it should catch everything. Make sure you download the latest updates before scanning.

If this doesn't work, you should insert the XP install disk and it will walk you through repair or reinstallation of the OS.

Jim

·
Registered
681 Posts
piercebrew said:
My GF's computer is jacked. It is crashing all the time, and is realy slow. It is running XP, I was planning on reinstalling windows on. Just starting new. But how do i do this? I have all the cd roms.
Thanks
Okay well the over-simplified version is: First make sure you have everything she wants to keep saved on a CD, internet drive, etc because you are going to delete EVERYTHING on her harddrive. I'm assuming that you don't have any bootleg software or anything that you don't have the installation CD for. Okay so now you have all the stuff backed-up somewhere that you want saved, you can proceed with installation. Go ahead and put your Windows XP installation CD into the computer and reboot, right after your BIOS does all its memory stuff and windows is about to start booting hit F8 and select Boot from CD drive. That will take forever to boot and then start installing windows XP. When it asks about drive partions you are going to say you want to edit partitions and then delete all partitions on the drive. Then, Windows XP will reformat the drive and erase everything then it will begin the very long and paintful process of installing windows by looking like its almost finished but then reboot like 4 billion times. The good news is that its pretty much all automated. Anyway, there's probably a bunch of articles about this with more detail if you're stumped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD. You can get into the BIOS by pushing F2 or Del, depending on your computer, it says it at somewhere on the screen during the first stage of bootup.

Best solution would be to reformat. If you want and ideal solution, use Linux. :p
No spyware, no viruses, no crashes, it's free.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RAM question?

Sense there seems to be some computer skills here...
Her computer is a Petium III 1.1 GHz, with 256MB of RAM, and 30 gigs of Hard drive space. How ram intensive is XP? I have an Apple with 640MB of RAM, and it runs well but it ran slow with the standard 128mb. Would adding another 256MB to her computer make it run much faster or would it be a waste of money?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Reinstalling the OS should be your LAST RESORT. Try rolling back to an earlier check point. Do this by booting in safe mode and following the instructions on the screen

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well without getting into the Linux vs. Windows debate, deleting the partition like I said will format the entire drive before you reinstall. I'm assuming that you have it installing now. Sorry about the incorrect F8 reference. Let us know if you have add'l problems.

As for memory, it is not a waste of money at all. I recently upgraded from 256 to 512 on my computer, an Athlon 2100+ (running like 1.66Ghz i think) and it made a huge difference. For normal usage right now I think anything beyond 512 would probably be of questionable value.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
piercebrew said:
Sense there seems to be some computer skills here...
Her computer is a Petium III 1.1 GHz, with 256MB of RAM, and 30 gigs of Hard drive space. How ram intensive is XP? I have an Apple with 640MB of RAM, and it runs well but it ran slow with the standard 128mb. Would adding another 256MB to her computer make it run much faster or would it be a waste of money?
Thanks.
Memory is really cheap these days. It won't be a waste of money. Depending on what type of memory her computer uses you can probably double your memory for less than $30 from an online retailer. A local retailer, like BestBuy or CompUSA, will cost more.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

[edit]
You definitely need to make sure your machine is cleared of any virus/spyware first. That's your #1 priority. Added memory will help with general OS performance.
[/edit]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another 256 of ram would be nice, but first you must run spybot and adaware, get both for free at download.com install, update then run both, you may find that it fixes all of your problems. Just note that Adaware will delete all of your tracking cookies as well as those nasty programs, so have your password and usernames for websites handy.

We find that running those programs fixes about 95% of the machines we come across at work.

RX

·
Registered
86 Posts
also if you need a free up to date anti virus software, you can use antivir (www.free-av.com). I ditched norton and went with antivir awhile back. it's free, it's less annoying, and it keeps viruses at bay on two of my machines (with the help of ad aware of course).

although you may have already started, I wouldn't neccessarily recommend reinstalling xp. You can run disk cleanup and drefrag from accessories>system tools. clean out your IE cache and cookies (set your IE cache limit to a smaller size too while you're at it).

upgrading the ram to 512 would probably make a difference for xp. i think 256 is about the minimum you'd want to run.
I have a pIII 500mhz machine running xp with 384mb of ram and it runs fine (but I keep it clean)

I also recommend using Firefox (www.mozilla.org) instead of IE for browsing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.