Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best was to mount a computer to a Lefty?

Has anyone tried a chainstay mounted computer on a mtn. bike? Does it take the hits of general mtn. biking well and stay stable?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I would get a Foretrex 201 (or other model), which you can probably find for under $100 these days, rather than mess around trying to install a magnet and sensor. It is possible to mount, but seemed to get knocked out of alignment easily. Plus the GPS features come in handy sometimes.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Aspen said:
What's the best was to mount a computer to a Lefty?

Has anyone tried a chainstay mounted computer on a mtn. bike? Does it take the hits of general mtn. biking well and stay stable?
My transmitter is mounted on my swing arm for when I am on the trainer. I have an EVO wireless speed and candence thingy mo bob. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just put a wireless cateye on my lefty and sure enough, the sensor/sending unit on the fork fell off within 200 yards and i didnt realize it until i was a few miles down the trail. Luckily, I found it after backtracking my way back.

For some darn reason the small screw that holds the sensor to the mount just doesn't hold, even with locktite, or the threaded section of sensor breaks off. So I will have to simply tie-wrap and tape it onto fork like I did with my other Rush.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Get one of the Mavic Rare earth magnets and take the magnet out of the plastic thing and stick it to the brake rotor. Make sure its out of the way of the pads and dosnt get too close to the caliper. This should hold for a very long time because the mavic is the strongest magnet I've seen for cycling.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can see the Mavic magnet holder in my photo above. The holder is made for the flat spokes but I had to enlarge it slightly with a jewelers file so that it would fit one of the rotor spokes.

·
I want to ride
149 Posts
Are you worried about the magnet coming loose, and possibly becoming lodged in the caliper leading to certain mayham? I wonder if the braking forces on a rotor would cause the magnet to become loose at a quicker rate than being mounted to spokes. To the best of my recolation I have never had a wheel magnet come loose, (spoke mounted) ever. Rotor mount, now thats a different question.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
pd406 said:
Are you worried about the magnet coming loose, and possibly becoming lodged in the caliper leading to certain mayham? I wonder if the braking forces on a rotor would cause the magnet to become loose at a quicker rate than being mounted to spokes. To the best of my recolation I have never had a wheel magnet come loose, (spoke mounted) ever. Rotor mount, now thats a different question.
Before I move mine to my swingarm, I had mine on my rotor. I could bearly move that thing when I wanted to. Even still, I wanted to be sure. So, I put a small dab of glue next to the magnet to hold it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have had a mavic spoke magnet mounted the the rotor on my bike for 2k miles without any problems. I had to mount it there so it would be close to the sensor mounted low on the lefty fork.

·
Registered
181 Posts
+1 on the Garmin unit. I have one on my Prophet, the handle bar mount works great and can easily be removed to be charged or have data downloaded from it, far better than any computer i've had an it was $100.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.