Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Yesterday I tried to lower the oil level on my MX Comp ETA and I could do it in the air side (no problem there and apparently the oil was way too high - only about 10mm from the top when fully compressed).. that was ok, but on the other side I could get the top cap off, however when I spun the compression nut (in either direction CW and CCW) the whole shaft spun with it, so it didn't loosen) In the end I could not even check the oil level on that side and just reassembled it back.

Does anybody have an idea of how to loosen that nut without grabbing the shaft with pliers or something like that (there are threads on it and it looks easy to mess them up, so I wouldn't try it).

Thanks,
Cris

·
Maestro
80 Posts
Hey Cris,

I had the same problem last night on my MX-Pro. I ended up using a small stiff wire to measure oil level. I formed it into a slight curve and I was able to fish it through the middle of the spring coils. I then set both legs to 50 mm depth.

Good Luck!

Hey Mats,

Thanks again for the manual info. After lowering the oil level, I now have full travel. And yes the ETA still works correctly.

Ken S.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks.. just one more thing....

Didn't you have any problems with fitting the 21mm socket, didn't it try to slip much on the ETA side?? on the air side it grips great because the edge is big, but on the ETA side I had to use a lot of "finesse" to get the job done without damaging the top cap. Any suggestions to do this a little easier...

Cris

·
Maestro
80 Posts
Well,

I didn't have a 6 point 21mm socket, (Only 12 point)

So,

Please don't tell anyone,

I used a 6 point, 13/16 spark plug socket. It is a perfect fit on the non-eta side,

but,

It required a little brass mallet persuasion to woek on the eta side.

Ken S.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It is easy...

Sure!

It is really easy, just take off the cap and compression nut, take the spring out... flush the oil out.... and pour the new oil in.... reassemble and go ride!!!

Good luck,
Cris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.