Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I'm offically bored with talking about pedals.

I bought a Compresser over the weekend. JUST so I can get my focking 2.1 HighRoller USTs inflated. BTW my rear 2.3 UST keeps burping... I never had sealing issues with USTs in 3+ years. I just don't get it.

Annnnyway...even though the cow's out of the barn, I was just wondering what kind of compressers folks are using and why?

What I got:
A "Genuine Sears Product" from K-Mart $109
It's not a Craftsman...and they don't have this one in Sears.:rolleyes:
1.5HP oil free pump on a 7Gal tank, horizontal orientation, wheels on one side. Heavy as hell. Apparently spec to 3.0 SCFM @ 90psi. No accessories.
I actually wanted a pancake style 6gal with similar spec but Home Depot has been sold out for months.

Anyone know if there's a benifit to geting pump that requires oil? I had to really hunt down the oil-free kind. I Assume they're better.

Is 7Gal enough for general household stuff? Will it be sufficient for power tools like Nailguns and impact wrenches?

I also got a pretty cool inflator gun that has a pressure guage right on the handle and a clamp-on extension. I haven't tried any of this yet.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have a 6HP 60 gallon upright (runs on 220V) that I bought about 10 or so years ago. I use it constantly.

The oil vs. oil-less only means that you can orient the oil-less anyway you'd like - i.e. on it's side, upside down, whatever. This allows it to be mobile. One isn't better than the other for any performance reasons (that I'm aware of).

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Real men, who use flats, can seat a UST tire with a pump, oh wait!, real men don't use UST either! :lol: Sorry, couldn't help myself, don't have any input on comp's either.

How much psi in that rear tire? I can't go much below 35 in the rear without burping at my weight, but 35 psi is the same as 25-30 with a tube in my experience so it works fine for me traction wise.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Crafts"man" 5hp, 30 gal. I wish I had gotten a larger tank one, but it's a bit too late for that...

I think of myself as an amateur painter so it gets used on bikes/cars, some stripping, some other air tool junk, lots of bike tires and drying of chains, bike bits after degreaseing, I'll scare the dog once in a while... It has a boring life really.

Brock...

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Traction is great on the MHR...I've been using ~38psi... I think I'll bring it up to ~43 and see if that helps. I almost never burped another tire unless it was stoopid low to begin with.

As for you guys with the mondo-compressors... Yeah? Yeah? well my shock is bigger than your shock...so, so, so-There!!!
Seriously though... is 7Gal too small to do anything other than fill bike tires or what? I have no idea what's required to do real work.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
7 gal will work with brad nailers and maybe larger nailers, but not really for wrenches and such. Ones like you bought are great for the home hobbyist as long as those hobbies don't include wrenches, painting, grinders, etc. Mine has a difficult time "keeping up" on large jobs with the hvlp (bikes are no worries...all three I've painted...).

I really wanted an 80 gallon 8hp rig that was at an auction, but you know how those auctions can go (read as: you know how wives can ruin a party).

Brock...

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
rroeder said:
Real men, who use flats, can seat a UST tire with a pump, oh wait!, real men don't use UST either! :lol:
like Rick says; compressors are ghey.
Neanderthals like myself, who ride heavy, expensive flat pedals, use tubes in their tires.:D

I gotta remember to use the emoticons so you folks know I'm joking.:yesnod: :lol: :winker:

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
certain tasks may require your compresser to run non stop trying to maintain air pressure. things like painting large items may be a problem if the compresser can't keep up.

I like spraying compressed air instead of vacuuming, blowing is better than sucking sometimes :p .

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I have a Craftsman 60Gal compressor. It's great for just about everything.

The 7 gallon models will work for nail guns, and paint spraying, but aren't ideal for power tools and using as a blower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.