Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'm almost healed up and on target for being back in the DH game in 2012, so it's time to start putting together a list of potental frames to research for a winter build. I'm very fexible when it come to building, something used if I find the right bike or a donor bike to for parts, whatever it takes.

I thought of building a mini DH, something that could be single or double crown. I'm leaning towards single because I want it to be agile fun park/resort/shuttle/ pedal to the top if needed. I don't believe in the one bike thing, so the pedaling is at a moderate level.. My original thought when I was laid up in a wheel chair was a TR250, But over the last year n 1/2 alot has been introduced. The TR250 is still on the list but has fallen some because the lack of pedalbility. The Canfield One is now the leader, but if a good deal is found that could change. I will also by use only if the spec is good, for I rather upgrde one frame rather then Fork/shock/wheels and the half dozen or so other components. I'm also interested if the Yeti SB-66 and Ibis HD would fit into this catagory. Not looking at any of the LBS brands, but will look at Trek because they have the largest selection of sizes (I'm a tweener) and Giant. If anyone can tell give me opinions on 08 and up Devinci Wilson that would be cool.

Thanks in advance and this is not one of those I already have my mind made up I just want you to validate me threads.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Canfield one would be my choice because of its geometry pedal friendly design (suspension platform and full length seat tube. The ibis and yeti fall into the more trail bike category than mini dh. Among the trail bikes out there I would lean towards the Giant Reign X or Spec enduro if i had to bring it to a bike park.

happy searching

·
Registered
111 Posts
Consider the 2012 Uzzi. I'm waiting for it. With SC fork, it's a AM/mini DH rig.... Slap a DC fork and its a full fledge DH beast...well almost. :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Consider the 2012 Uzzi. I'm waiting for it. With SC fork, it's a AM/mini DH rig.... Slap a DC fork and its a full fledge DH beast...well almost. :)
Impressive, it already saves me money with the adjustable dropouts because I have a 13x12mm enduro/lite DH wheelset hanging in the shed, Plus the release date puts me right around tax time. Thanks for suggestion.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Canfield one would be my choice because of its geometry pedal friendly design (suspension platform and full length seat tube. The ibis and yeti fall into the more trail bike category than mini dh. Among the trail bikes out there I would lean towards the Giant Reign X or Spec enduro if i had to bring it to a bike park.

happy searching
Thought about the Reign X and Enduro, just wasn't sure about longevity with lift riding, klnd of though the Yeti and Ibis were in the category because of the travel. If not I don't see the true need for a trail bike to need that much travel. Would like to here from some people using the Reign X or Endouro for this purpose.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Well I keep pushing the same koolaid for all these "want one bike that is not DH but almost for park and general riding about" threads - the Morewood Zama. Build it anyway you want, very versatile frame, 7" travel in the rear, can still run a FD, can run a DC, single crown, whatever. Really a fun and well-behaved bike, jumps great, good up-to-date adjustable geo (with $50 optional XPi main pivot), straight uninterupted seatpost for all-day pedally epics...and cheap too! Lil' pic of mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Would like to here from some people using the Reign X or Endouro for this purpose.
I've used my Reign X for DH on road trips where I don't have my DH bike with me, including Mammoth, Northstar and Teton Pass. The frame itself will hold up to the abuse just fine. The low BB and relatively long wheelbase (44.9 on my med) let's me keep DH pace on many sections. The spots where you feel under gunned and slow down are the really gnarley boulder gardens, however that's with a 36 on the front, throw a dual crown on and you're fine. A friend does the one bike thing with his, swapping out to a 7" Super T for DH.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been browsing pinkbike and I've seen some good deals on some used bikes. If I can get someone to ship is the quetion. I'm going to stack my chips until new years and wait for good deal and then pounce on it.

·
Flacko
267 Posts
delirium should be consider if the sb66, mojo HD, and reign sx are.

it is TITTIES! and when the DH'ing is on I wouldn't trade it for anything short of a full blown dhr podium TR450 or the like. and yes I have road a reign, older one, HD, highline, old school rfx, spesh sxt etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.