Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some components require a special tool and I've heard of some new parts coming with the tool, and wondering if ever the case anymore?

As an example, I built a bike for a friend about 1.5 years ago and he had an XT 1X crank (don't remember if M8000 or M8100) in a retail box as well as a separate chain ring, and in the box was the tool to attach and remove the chain ring (believe it's part #TL-FC41). Does anyone know if Shimano cranks still come with the tool? Or for that matter, any parts that also come with a specialty tool? Obviously, it would be in retail boxed components and not the OEM stuff that comes in a plastic bag...

I recently purchased a set of SLX M7100 cranks and a ring and was a bit disappointed the tool wasn't in the box as it's another one on a growing list to purchase that won't get much use. There is also a little spot that looks like the tool would fit right into and I'm wondering if it should have been there?

And I'm curious about other components that come with one because, say, if an XT level comes with a tool but the lower tiers don't, I would definitely go with the higher tier with a tool.

Sorry this is so long, but a quick way to describe what I'm trying to ask was eluding me and searching hasn't been helpful. Being half asleep doesn't help either. Thanks for any insight and for those that pushed on thru the rambling...

·
damned rocks...
2,805 Posts
My SLX M7100 came with the lockring tool, it wasn't a surprise because the online store from where I ordered it had it listed in the package content.
The Shimano's brake stuff, like new levers, hoses, calipers, etc, usually come with the bleed block, or the vice tool for holding the hose while inserting the barb, or the pad spacers.
My Revive came with a tool so shock pumps with shorter or thicker noses could still connect to the air valve.
I have seen pictures and reports of people saying that the new fork, or shock, ir even the new bike came with a shock pump, but I never got one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I contacted Shimano and was told that none of the cranks come with the tool anymore. He didn't say it specifically, but it was implied that all products don't come with tools anymore to reduce waste and have to be purchased separately.

I don't remember, is the Shimano tool steel or aluminum?

·
since 4/10/2009
37,061 Posts
I have bought stuff in the past early in the product cycle (the first Shimano XT Hollowtech II cranks that used the little plastic preload cap) that came with the tool, but later versions didn't. I think it's something some mfrs do to speed adoption of a new interface (a common complaint against adopting new tech is the need for a new proprietary tool). I have purchased some aftermarket suspension forks that came with a shock pump (RockShox), and others that didn't. I even bought a new bike in the early 2000's that came with the pump, but never after that.

Then there's some stuff that's supposed to come with a tool (RaceFace Turbine CINCH cranks and an 8mm to 16mm hex adapter bit) that didn't, and I had to get the mfr to send the tool separately.

It's kinda been all over the place, so hard to put any specific trends on all cases.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Neiither of my 2 GRX cranks came with the plastic preload tool.
My ee wings did come with tge big hex tool bar for the crank bolt. Its basically a straight section of 14mm hex/allen wrench.
one of the Di2 components i got came with the little plastic fork thingy so i now have an extra to the one i bought seperately.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts
Not E13.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.