Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
This may be getting a little bit out of topic, but an interesting offer came up locally for a used bike: Specialized Rumor 29" size M - around $1250
Is it worth buying? Have a look at the photos and reply soon please.
Thanks in advance,
K
Can't see all the specs, but from what I see I'd definitely go with that Specialized. I'm also a fan of buying a complete bike as the one you're planning to build is pretty much bare minimum everything, plus there's gonna be parts and services you didn't budget for. You're gonna pay eventually, servicing the bike you put together (which was obviously well thought out and researched btw) isn't gonna be easy cause of parts and compatibility. I'd much rather prefer that Specialized though, but good luck either way ... Just be careful if building a bike to save money, cause more times than not you're gonna go over budget, and you could buy a better bike that's complete with warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Can't see all the specs, but from what I see I'd definitely go with that Specialized. I'm also a fan of buying a complete bike as the one you're planning to build is pretty much bare minimum everything, plus there's gonna be parts and services you didn't budget for. You're gonna pay eventually, servicing the bike you put together (which was obviously well thought out and researched btw) isn't gonna be easy cause of parts and compatibility. I'd much rather prefer that Specialized though, but good luck either way ... Just be careful if building a bike to save money, cause more times than not you're gonna go over budget, and you could buy a better bike that's complete with warranty.
I contacted the seller, and from what I understand, the equipment is:
Fork: RockShox something, probably some recon
Shock: FOX evolution series something
Groupset (2x10): SRAM X5 rear derailleur, SRAM X7 front deraileur, SRAM X5 shifters, Truativ crank, KMC Z10 chain I think
Brakes: Shimano (most probably MT200), 160mm disks, I would replace them with 180mm

I liked the Deore groupset, but I read some pretty good reviews for the SRAM X5 too
Any thoughts are appreciated, I could send photos too, I need to decide soon

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
285 Posts
The Rumor is a women's bike. I didn't want to assume.... but if thats you, then... Given your location, parts and availability, I'd buy the Specialized, if after inspection and a test ride it looks ok.

You can test the frame, by standing perpendicular to the bike, squeezing the brake, tilting it slightly and stepping on a pedal in the 6 o'clock position. The rest of the stuff can be evaluated on a quick 4-5 minute ride.

I agree with others that you will inevitably go over budget building a bike for several reasons, but mostly due to parts availability right now.

The Specialized:
This puts you on a 29'er immediately. Now sell your FS 26'er. You mentioned a 2K budget. Take the remaining $700 plus what you get for your 26 and start building that carbon based bike. You'll probably be able to sell that specialized even a year from now for just slightly less that what you'll pay for it today.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I didn't know the rumor is women's bike. Though the frame did look a bit different..
There is one more option for me to explore locally, here's photos: 1 2 3
I wouldn't worry too much about the bike being "woman" specific. It might fit a bit smaller, but test ride to confirm sizing, or look up a geometry chart. There was very little geo diff off the Rumor vs the Camber. These bikes would be a far superior option to parting together your own AliExpress franken-bike and hold its value a lot better. As far as the Rumor vs the Enduro... if you are interested in mainly XC/Trail.. I would go with the rumor... the Enduro (especially an older one) is gonna suck to climb with, and is more specific to doing downhill/enduro trails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
First I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions, you've really helped. I decided to build the bike myself after all.
I considered suggestions as much as possible, considered other recommendations I found online, also practically got a bachelors degree in bike parts.
I decided to go with aluminum handlebar, cause broken carbon handlebar most likely requires visit to dentist afterwards.

The final? parts are:
Frame: SERAPH FM038 (BOOST) (suggestion by @kevine1785 and here)
Fork: Manitou Markhor BOOST (suggestion by @phantoj initially)
Rear shock: DNM AOY-36RC (found good reviews online)
Groupset (Shimano Deore M5100): Most of groupset, Crankset + Bottom Bracket (seller will send with BB-MT500-PA)
Brakes (Hydraulic): Shimano MT200, improved with Shimano RT56 180mm discs
Stem: Wake aluminum
Handlebar: Wake aluminum
Seatpost: ELITA ONE carbon
Seat: West Biking with gel
Grips: PROMEND aluminum anti slip
Pedals: CX930 Wide flat
Wheels: PASAK LOCA 29" Aluminum (will discuss with seller for BOOST hubs)
Tires: will find locally - 2.3" or close, probably maxxis icon or kenda something
Rest of the stuff I can find locally, if I missed something major, please guide me in the right direction.

Also, if anyone has a complaint against any choice I made, please say so, I will listen.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
First I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions, you've really helped. I decided to build the bike myself after all.
I considered suggestions as much as possible, considered other recommendations I found online, also practically got a bachelors degree in bike parts.
I decided to go with aluminum handlebar, cause broken carbon handlebar most likely requires visit to dentist afterwards.

The final? parts are:
Frame: SERAPH FM038 (BOOST) (suggestion by @kevine1785 and here)
Fork: Manitou Markhor BOOST (suggestion by @phantoj initially)
Rear shock: DNM AOY-36RC (found good reviews online)
Groupset (Shimano Deore M5100): Most of groupset, Crankset + Bottom Bracket (seller will send with BB-MT500-PA)
Brakes (Hydraulic): Shimano MT200, improved with Shimano RT56 180mm discs
Stem: Wake aluminum
Handlebar: Wake aluminum
Pedals: CX930 Wide flat
Wheels: PASAK LOCA 29" Aluminum (will discuss with seller for BOOST hubs)
Tires: will find locally, probably maxxis icon or kenda something
Rest of the stuff I can find locally, if I missed something major, please guide me in the right direction.

Also, if anyone has a complaint against any choice I made, please say so, I will listen.
Check w the frame manufacturer - their site says rotor size 160 - confirm with them that a 180 will work with an adapter - otherwise you may need a 160 rotor for the rear.

Personally I would never use a cost effective carbon seatpost - I would rather spend 5x as much and get a dropper post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Check w the frame manufacturer - their site says rotor size 160 - confirm with them that a 180 will work with an adapter - otherwise you may need a 160 rotor for the rear.

Personally I would never use a cost effective carbon seatpost - I would rather spend 5x as much and get a dropper post.
From what I understand, that's just stating the default rotor size, the same way fork manufacturers state.
But just in case I'm wrong, I'll discuss with manufacturer anyway. Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
From what I understand, that's just stating the default rotor size, the same way fork manufacturers state.
But just in case I'm wrong, I'll discuss with manufacturer anyway. Thanks
Nice! There's no wrong decision here. If you wanna build a bike, you'll learn a ton in that process, and obviously there's something fulfilling about doing it yourself. Plus you'll know it inside out, so you'll be better equipped to provide routine maintenance and repairs on your own. There's guys I know riding 20+ years that don't even know how to bleed their brakes, or put together a tubeless tire, so in the long run that experience will serve your well.

Good choice on the Shimano drivetrain, you'll be happy with it, and like dude above said, I'd go outta my way to get a dropper post.

Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress please!

·
Registered
254 Posts
My two cents. I have built eight china frames, seven from the manufacturer you are considering, with another one in the quoting process due to pivot issues. I would not recommend them. Too much time and money goes into building a custom china frame bike, and in the end, all you have is a china bike. If anything goes wrong with the frame or bushings, or hangers - prepare for no service to little service and a long wait for parts. Worse possibly, zero spare parts. Also plan on very little to no interest when you decide to resell your china frame bike or a huge loss if you part out. Feel free to PM me for more info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For those out there who would be interested in the progress of this build, here's an update. After a lot of struggle to order most of the more important parts, I'm glad to say I've managed to order everything and I'm waiting on the frame only, everything else arrived.
The parts list was modified because for some parts sellers were unable to ship to my country.

The final parts list:
Frame: SERAPH FM038 (BOOST)
Fork: Manitou Machete BOOST (nobody was able to ship Markhor to my country; sorry no link, bought on ebay, link expired now)
Rear shock: DNM AO-38RC (I was not sure if DNM AOY-36RC will work with my frame)
Groupset (Shimano Deore M5100): Most of groupset, Crankset + Bottom Bracket (seller sent with BB-MT500-PA)
Brakes (Hydraulic): Shimano MT200, improved with Shimano RT54 180mm discs (I got wheelset with centerlock hubs)
Stem: KRSEC aluminum (better offer)
Handlebar: KRSEC aluminum 800mm (better offer, will shorten it to 740mm)
Pedals: West Biking flat (better offer, 3 bearings)
Wheels: 29" DT Swiss 533d with Shimano Deore BOOST (centerlock) hubs
Tires: 29" Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tubeless Ready

Once I get the frame, I will let LBC assemble the most difficult parts, the rest I'll do myself. Or maybe if there is not too much price difference, I'll let the professional mechanic assemble everything. LBC has agreed to allow me to watch them while they work.
Once it's complete, I'll try to remember to post pictures.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts