Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several rides this season and a new wheelset project; I'm looking into keeping my Pugs as a cyclofat (drop bars and solid)...

Looking at getting after an Alaskan or Farley (some good prices around) and am curious about how they ride. Lot of posts about the components and I know that adds to the overall stoke on wheels factor but want to know if I'm just comparing apples to apples?

On Paper:
HTA = .5 degree off (AK is 69.5 vs Farley 70)
STA = SAme
Wheel Base/ Chain stay = less on the Farley
Stand Over = Farley is just under 31 Framed just over 29

With maneuverability and being playful on trail, do those numbers support the Farley would be the way to go? Or are these numbers just nuances?

I have to presume that the bike is what you make it, but at present it seems that I can snag a Farley 6 for a few Hundo less than the Framed... That being said, I will be limited to a smaller rear tire if the spirit were to move me towards winter expeditions needing some 5" rubbers.

Curious to hear from folks who use their respective rigs for shredding and the associated thoughts. Just gathering info on the quick, not trying to create a sharks vs. jets scenario ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I don't have these bikes, but based on the geometry you provided, the Farley has slightly steeper HTA. couple this with a shorter wheel base and chain stay, then the Farley is going to be more maneuverable and a little more xc-ish. If you're doing ultra chunky and steep, maybe the framed would provide a more stable feel.
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts