Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that the Rumblefish is the bike for me, after demoing it this past weekend. However Trek so conveniently sends you out on the Pro version of the RF. Now the Elite version is right in my price range, and I probably could afford the Pro, but I think I would just have some associated guilt with spending that kind of money on a bicycle.

So here it is:

The guys at trek told me that the functionality of the components on the Elite would be almost identical, and the real difference would be in weight.... miniscule grams.

Frames - are both spec'd alpha platinum aluminum, are these identical? Trej rep told me the elite was different?

Fork - Pro comes with Kashima coating and spec'd "compression" is this added feature?

Rear Shock - Again Kashima coating, Pro-Pedal which I did not even fiddle with, but most importantly the Pro is spec'd 7.75x1.875 and the Elite is 7.25x1.875, will this effect the performance of the shock, more than the added 3-way propedal feature?

Wheels - Pro has upgraded wheels, elite has "Bontrager Rhythm Elite TLR Disc 29" is it conceivable that I could sell these for $400, setting me up to purchase Stan's Flows for a mere +$300 on the build? link Bontrager: Rhythm Elite TLR Disc 29 (Model #07851)

Shifters - Pro: Shimano Deore XT M780 / Elite: Shimano SLX M660-10, how do these compare with the speed and "throw" of the shifters, is it merely a material/ weight difference?

Front Deraileur - Pro: Shimano Deore XT / Elite: Shimano SLX

Rear Deraileur - Replacing for Shimano XTR Shadow Plus, +$250

Crank/Cassette - Pro is spec'd higher quality, will this only mean more wear? also prefer gearing on Pro but...

Brakeset - Pro: Shimano Deore XT M785 / Elite: Shimano SLX M666, how do these compare anyone have any big thoughts?

What I'm getting at here, is that yes the pro was an amazing ride, but could I get that same feeling out of the elite, with a wheelset upgrade, a few extra grams, and maybe some lower quality sprockets? This would put the Elite at $1000 under the Pro with the Rear Deraileur I was going to buy anyway. The rear shock is my big concern, maybe that 7.75 was a typo....? I noticed on the Superfly and Remedy they do not vary this dimension as per build.

And... Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rumblefish Pro

I went through the same dilemma....I ended up buying the Pro only because I would always wonder if..........I know it's materialistic and I probably could not tell the difference in the ride of the Elite and the Pro even if I rode them back to back, but I would just wonder if I should have gotten the Pro or not. And everytime I saw a Pro on the trail (I have not seen a single other one) I would probably feel envious.....yes I know, I am an idiot. At least when I ride and didn't quite clear the climb or otherwise screw up, it would all be my fault, not the bike's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.