Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son has recently gotten into vinyl in a big way. Which means I'm now into it too.

Who's into it? Collections? Advice?

Right now he has a U-Turn table and preamp, with a bottom of the line Yamaha amp and Elac speakers. Collecting old vinyl from flea markets etc.

Computer desk Shelf Shelving Wood Output device

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I've been a huge music fan for a long time, but CDs are king in my book.

Can't stand the prissiness involved with LPs, but more power to ya.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
What I am most impressed about with vinyl is how they were properly mastered. Most later production CDs used volume normalizing which unfortunately kills the aural experience. I really hope that the modern vinyl recording techniques are still using the old school non-“exploded” (normalized) technique.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's great is he's being exposed to music he never would have thought of had he not been buying vinyl at flea markets and yards sales etc. How many 17 year olds appreciate Traffic, Country Joe, Mike Bloomfield, Eric Burdon, Curtis Mayfield, etc........

Also learning so much about the mastering of music and production. Really cool stuff.

·
Pipe Dreamer
6,619 Posts
Around 15 years ago I lived in Rocklin and would hit garage sales and thrift stores, from Auburn to Elk Grove and everywhere in between. I had crates of records! I took some time digging around, probably would have been riding if I rode back then. Might not be worth the effort nowadays, records have only been gaining in popularity since.

I still have a sizeable collection that I'm planning on thinning. You get tired of moving these things around.

But, I still enjoy having them around, don't get me wrong! Have fun! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Around 15 years ago I lived in Rocklin and would hit garage sales and thrift stores, from Auburn to Elk Grove and everywhere in between. I had crates of records! I took some time digging around, probably would have been riding if I rode back then. Might not be worth the effort nowadays, records have only been gaining in popularity since.

I still have a sizeable collection that I'm planning on thinning. You get tired of moving these things around.

But, I still enjoy having them around, don't get me wrong! Have fun! :thumbsup:
PM me when you decide to thin that collection.

·
Cycologist
10,338 Posts
If you wanna talk turntables and vinyl, talk to the Pig :∂) - (or something like that!)

He'll probably dive in shortly.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
My son has recently gotten into vinyl in a big way. Which means I'm now into it too.

Who's into it? Collections? Advice?

Right now he has a U-Turn table and preamp, with a bottom of the line Yamaha amp and Elac speakers. Collecting old vinyl from flea markets etc.
Vinyl as a hobby makes a lot of sense for kids- it's cheap, there's a 'process' to listening to vinyl, and records are hi-fi but not so much that they're transparent. Most importantly they were THE MEDIUM before the loudness wars, and were mastered and mixed on analog to sound pleasing. Well recorded records sound better than 95% of new stuff. Kids can get exposed to tons of interesting music that sounds awesome for peanuts, and there's a cognoscenti aspect.

I'm not old enough to remember the vinyl era super great, but i can't get excited about it. Like for like digital is superior, and a digital copy of a vinyl album = vinyl. I have a nice system; now i'd rather spend my time exploring music and going to shows.

My advice is to go listen to more live music! Reaching to vinyl means that the sound and the experience is what's important. My fave spots are cafe stritch, the catalyst, kuumbwa club, and the hotel de anza. Kinda jazz focused, but live jazz is awesome even if it doesn't always translate well to recordings. Heavy metal and punk are like that too.

cool thread.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
What I am most impressed about with vinyl is how they were properly mastered. Most later production CDs used volume normalizing which unfortunately kills the aural experience.
Sadly, while there are plenty of new vinyl albums being released and the growth of vinyl shows no sign of slowing, most of them are just the digital/CD master dumped onto black plastic. I guess they don't want to pay to master twice, have forgotten how, don't think it matters but whatever the reason, new releases seldom sound as good as older ones. They're often ok, but not epic and sometimes really crap.

It's hard to put a finger on why vinyl is so good. Both vinyl and CD/digital can sound great but the key difference is how easy it is to achieve. Vinyl is analog and any distortion is also analoge, usually, so it doesn't sound too unpleasant. As an old engineer once said to me 'We don't have fechin digital ears'. Digital distortion doesn't bear any relationship to the music whatsoever and it can really sound horrible. Often we don't realise that's what the problem is, we just know we'd rather turn off the music and watch TV. A good vinyl system draws you in, pulls your attention deeper into the music. You can get a digital system to do that, but it's not easy! ;0)

The upshot is that even a modest vinyl system can provide great satisfaction and encourage a deeper love and appreciation for music. Just because it hides its flaws well doesn't mean it's not worth getting better kit obviously and the most important part is the deck itself.

Simple advice, buy a Rega! New ones are great, old ones are still great and Rega can supply parts for any turntable they've ever made. Simple, well made and great sounding.

Lots of good used turntables too but typically will need a bit more work to get right and without knowing what to look for it's easy to buy a dog. Having said that, most of the old decks I've dealt with were fundamentally ok. If there were issues they were obvious and often not that hard to fix. If you do look at vintage turntables though avoid anything with broken parts, commonly say a cracked lid or broken armrest, as it's very difficult to find replacements.

I could rabbit on all day about vinyl! ;0) Is there anything specifically you want to know?

·
Registered
499 Posts
It is interesting how kids are getting back into vinyl (my daughter recently got into it), even scouring what used record shops that are left. My wife and I both grew up in the vinyl era, worked in cool used record shops, etc. Held on to all our treasured records (hundreds) and always have had a turntable set up. I did buy an NOS Technics turntable as a replacement couple of years ago, too bad they don't make them anymore.

If you haven't see the movie High Fidelity check it out, really captures the used record shop vibe. Jack Black is classic...

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I did buy an NOS Technics turntable as a replacement couple of years ago, too bad they don't make them anymore.
They do! Technics stopped making the SL1200-based decks years ago but when they saw the resurgence in vinyl they brought it back. You can buy several new Technics turntables today at various price points. I've not heard one, but ears that have tell me they are good.

Yip, plenty of choice out there both in new and used turntables. Lots of new vinyl, lots of used vinyl, all going very well :0)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Vinyl is analog and any distortion is also analoge, usually, so it doesn't sound too unpleasant. As an old engineer once said to me 'We don't have fechin digital ears'. Digital distortion doesn't bear any relationship to the music whatsoever and it can really sound horrible.
Audio compression from clipping only occurs if you are clipping the input signal. If you don't clip the signal there's no issue. If you clip the signal at the amp there's no difference in the clipping behavior.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Audio compression from clipping only occurs if you are clipping the input signal. If you don't clip the signal there's no issue. If you clip the signal at the amp there's no difference in the clipping behavior.
Clipping isn't the only kind of distortion. If it was, a plastic Hi-Fi from the supermarket would sound the same as one costing thousands! There are lots of ways digital systems can introduce distortion. Even getting the bits off the disk is imperfect, which is why every CD player ever built has an error correction section.

But you don't to know any of this stuff, you just need ears! ;0)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Clipping isn't the only kind of distortion. If it was, a plastic Hi-Fi from the supermarket would sound the same as one costing thousands! There are lots of ways digital systems can introduce distortion. Even getting the bits off the disk is imperfect, which is why every CD player ever built has an error correction section.

There are just as many ways to introduce distortion into an analog signal chain, and distortion is most definitely clipping. You can have soft clipping or hard clipping, but it's still clipping. Don't get me wrong, I've spent 25+ years DJing, most of that vinyl. There are things I'll always love more about vinyl, but sound quality isn't one of them. I've also sat with one of the best engineers on the west coast while they cut my vinyl master; there is quite a bit of manipulation you need to do to your master in order to deal with the idiosyncrasies of vinyl. In comparison it's much easier to get your original vision across in a lossless digital file.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts

Cheap supermarket stereo sound bad because of analog distortion- shitty speakers, no incentive to build sophisticated electronics behind them.

You don't have to spend a mountain of money to get an audibly transparent digital source, heck a 15$ behringer dac is transparent until you're spending thousands. Sure makes the hifi hobby boring though.

If you say anything about the holes between the bits I'm gonna get you a foil hat. ?

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I googled that U-Turn turntable and it looks impressive. While I've never heard one I'm familiar enough with all of the design elements to be sure it will sound good. I would expect it to be a match for a mid-priced ProJect at least.

Of particular note is the unipivot tonearm. An inspired choice as they are cheap and simple to make yet offer very nice performance benefits. I would expect that turntable to happily accept a much better cartridge than it ships with. If it was mine, that's what I'd be looking to change next ;0)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.