Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I can already hear all the retro grouches that swear by their 7 speed groups whining. :p

For 2011:

10 speed XX
10 speed X.0
10 speed XTR
10 speed XT
10 speed SLX

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
I can already hear all the retro grouches that swear by their 7 speed groups
heck i know some folks still riding on their old XTR 950 8 speed stuff and think it's great and the 952 (9speed) XTR was the last of the good offroad shimano groups in my opinion the flipper shifting of the 960 stuff just never caugh on with me.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
HAL 9000 said:
heck i know some folks still riding on their old XTR 950 8 speed stuff and think it's great and the 952 (9speed) XTR was the last of the good offroad shimano groups in my opinion the flipper shifting of the 960 stuff just never caugh on with me.
952?
You think the last good group was made in..what..1998?
Really?
Can I have some of what you're smoking

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
the mayor said:
952?
You think the last good group was made in..what..1998?
Really?
Can I have some of what you're smoking
yes the 950/952 XTR group set offered many more options such as removable spider for various gearing options along with everything worked well.

the 960 with the flipper shifters and weak disc brakes is what weaned me off of shimano and onto sram products the 970 was not that great either when compared to sram.

sram is so far ahead of shimano in the off road arena that shimano is going to have to come up with some di2 stuff for the next xtr group to make it worthwhile 10 speed alone isn't going to get it done.

I'm not a shimano hater i love my dura ace 7800 stuff on my bikes it just seems that sram gave some extra thought when developing their off road stuff tho'

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hal,
Thank you for the detailed explanation...so detailed that I could actually here the your bong gurgle as I read it.
I'll let you get back to driving your Edsel and listening to Led Zeppelin I on your hand cranked Victrola

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
the mayor said:
Hal,
Thank you for the detailed explanation...so detailed that I could actually here the your bong gurgle as I read it.
I'll let you get back to driving your Edsel and listening to Led Zeppelin I on your hand cranked Victrola
Oh now you have done it by disrespecting one of my all time favorite groups!

lucky for you your did not sully the name of Pink Floyd or there woulda been fisticuffs.

don't worry you newbies that haven't been around long enough to appreciate the beauty of the old XTR 950 groupset will find some other new fad sport soon enough and leave us retrogrouches alone.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Bunky,
I remember the original XTR group....along with the original XT and DX...and older stuff that was was not so great....ahhh, good times.
I have seen Led Zep a few times....ahhhh, vaguely remembered good times.
Good luck with you're Victrola and vinyl and old groupos.
Time waits for no one.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
the mayor said:
I remember the original XTR group....along with the original XT and DX...and older stuff that was was not so great....ahhh, good times.
listen here paddlefoot i never said the 950 stuff was better than what is out now it just seemed that shimano had their sh*t together better back then as far as options go.

now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
HAL 9000 said:
listen here paddlefoot i never said the 950 stuff was better than what is out now it just seemed that shimano had their sh*t together better back then as far as options go.

now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

Dear elderberry breath,
Don't make fun of my foot!
It's not a paddlefoot...it's a cloven hoof.
ps...the only thing dumber than a double neck guitar is Steve Vai's 7 neck piece o crap

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Take the '10 speed' mention off and the black biggest cog and it's not so bad... About the cassette, I'm wondering how it's built and it's cost because from that picture, it seems to use a similar construction as the XX cassette, it doesn't make sense to make it as light and expensive as the XX and just adding a cheap looking black big cog...

·
West Chester, PA
4,994 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Take the '10 speed' mention off and the black biggest cog and it's not so bad... About the cassette, I'm wondering how it's built and it's cost because from that picture, it seems to use a similar construction as the XX cassette, it doesn't make sense to make it as light and expensive as the XX and just adding a cheap looking black big cog...
That is curious. They show enough of it to hint that its the same. I wouldn't be surprised if its the same cassette at a lower price, subsidized by all of the XX early adopters.

·
Registered
808 Posts
From SingletrackWorld

Weight 175 grams
Technologies X-Glide, X-Dome design
Speeds 9 speed
Materials CNC'd 4140 chromoly steel
Large cog material AL-7075-T6
Lock-ring material AL-7075-T6
Gear 11-32 (11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32)
MSRP $300
Available Mid March

175g! Shimano's XTR cassette is a claimed 224g for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
HAL 9000 said:

Hmmm, XTR 950....
Great looking group, solid rear derailleur, hubs and shifters but that's about it

Creaky cranks with stupid removable spider - fail
V-brakes with sloppy parallelogram pivots - fail
Bar end shifter - fail
Front derailleur with differential plate movement is heavy and rattly - fail

1 - 19 of 19 Posts