Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished trimming hoses on a new set of Shimano brakes. The front brake seems to be working fine. The rear... not so much. I can grab the entire brake to the bars without getting any movement from the pistons. I thought I was pretty damn careful and didn't really see much more than a few drops of liquid come out. I opened the reservoir all the way and took a peek - it was filled about halfway or so? When forcing the pistons back into the caliper, I did see some oil leak from around the reservoir area (overfilled after the trim?). When I did the front brake, I cracked the bleed nipple on the reservoir to avoid this leakage.

It did sit out for about 15-20 minutes, hanging from the upper hose, stretched out with the caliper on the ground, during an important phone call.

My only experience with bleeds bringing a brake back to life are when the brake was just weak - not completely non-functional. What are the odds that a simple bleed will fix the problem? Or does it sound like a bigger issue? The brake was working fine before I trimmed the hose.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
VERY likely that there is air in there.
It does not take much air in a tiny system such as these mountain brakes to completely stop them from working.

·
Magically Delicious
12,528 Posts
Chances are that you just need a thorough bleed unless something went wrong with your trim installation. No problems with the cutting of the brake line and olive installation? I'm betting it's just needing a good bleed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bleed fixed it this morning. Quite a bit of air when pushing the fluid up from the calipers. The other steps showed very little air, if any at all. Thanks guys!

Nothing like finishing up a complete bike build the morning before a bike trip... hah!

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
VERY likely that there is air in there.
It does not take much air in a tiny system such as these mountain brakes to completely stop them from working.
What do you mean very likely?

There's air in there. I have had air get "stuck" before. What a pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.