Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've been looking here the last few days and it seems like there is a lot of good advice floating around. The weather is getting nice here in West Point and I'm looking for some wheels to sink my teeth into this mountain biking thing. I'm a little strapped for cash but these seem to get the job done for my price range. I've also been looking at the Blue Book site to see what they're worth to come up with offers but I'm not looking to spend more than $250.

Raleigh Mojave 5.0 $400 -I'd probably offer $200 to see if he bites
Raleigh MOJAVE 5.0

Diamondback (No Model Listed) $225- Offer $175
Men's Diamondback Bike for sale!

1997 Canonndale F300 -$100 Offer $75
Cannondale CAD-1 F300

Trek 820 -No Price- Offer $200
Trek mountain bike

Trek 820 $100- In Yonkers so that would be a trip
Trek 820 Bicycle

If you haven't gotten fed up with links and such, I could use some advice here. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just my .02 but have you been to a bike shop?

You are shopping by price but do you know what you want/need? Tire size, frame size? What type of riding? Are you factoring in the cost of repairs or replacement parts on a CL bike?

Nothing wrong with buying preowned but I think you should take a look at some current model bikes

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not been to a bike shop. What I'm looking to do is ride out to either our training areas and ride fire trails out there or ride to the state park which has trails. I'm mainly looking at hard tail bikes, probably 26in tires, and I'm 6' tall so from what I've found that's a size large, 19-20" bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I would scratch the Cannondale CAD off your list.
Not that it is a bad bike for the price but finding a new fork for a threaded headset if that one goes bad is not easy and rebuilding that one will cost more than the bike is worth.

The one in Yonkers that is a trip, how much money do you really save when you spend money and time in going to look at it?

After that get on and ride them. See which one is more comfortable.
The Raleigh is way over priced and although your offer would be fair, most people aren't willing to cut their price in half but it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trip to Yonkers would be a toll across the bridge which is about $3 and a train ticket there and back which would be about $20 and my time has some value.
I'm sure the Raleigh guy will not do that but still worth a shot.
I just finished my career as a collegiate rifle shooter and may be getting rid of one of my guns so that should fetch a good 1000-1400 and I could allocate some of the funds for a bike which would get me into a really good bike.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Personally I think you should do a little more figuring on your budget if that is the case.
If you sell the gun and open your budget up to a $1k you can have some pretty nice hard tails new. If riding is something you really get in to you won't regret the nicer bike. Even if it is something you do just occasionally you will still appreciate it.

Think of bikes like you do guns. To the untrained eye they may all look similar but when you start handling you understand why you want to spend more money. You truly get what you pay for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, now bikes make sense to me, lol. The idea to sell didn't cross my mind until after I posted here. Once I settle on a more solid budget I will head to the LBS and take a look around. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I sold the rifle and got it shipped off today and paid. After shipping I net 996 which I am using to spend on a new bike. I did some more research and decided even though a 26er may be the best up here in NY, since I am posting to Fort Bliss TX and will be riding the roads here to the trail a 29er with lockout fork would suit me best. Now I have a choice to make. The LBS, which was really helpful, has a 20% off deal on the 2013 Trek X-Caliber which ends up at 1023, or the 2014 X-Caliber 7 I can get for around 790. I didn't think to look at the X-Caliber 8 but military gets a 10% discount at this shop which to me is even more reason to support this store. As soon as paypal gets to my bank account, I will buy one of these. Any advice?

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I can't find the all the specs on the 2013 but it is probably your best bang for the buck.

I would shop around some more though. It is cool that they offer 10% off to military but reality is almost anyone can walk in almost any bike shop and offer 10% less and walk out with a new bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after much deliberation. I have decided on the XCal 7. My LBS has an orange one in stock and it looks pretty sweet. As much as I would like to step up to the 2013 X-Caliber specs wise, after adding pedals it would be close to $1100 and I don't have a helmet ($50-$$$), hand pump ($~40), or extra tubes (~$15). Another question I have is, how many miles can one expect out of a set of tires. I know that as with cars, running the right pressure, weight, surface, and such come into play. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts