Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been saving my pennies for a nomad for a while now, and the time is getting near! The setup I was looking at costs about $4200. Large frame, ano, DHX coil, X9 AM kit, and Marzocchi 66 RC2X. I'm thinking of maybe going with the complete bike( about $3900), because it would probably be easier to find. The only things different are the shocks. I want a beefy coil shock in the back because I weigh about 240, and I don't know anything about the "5th Element Gravity" shock that the complete bike comes with. The Fox fork is okay I guess, I'd rather have the 66, but I want a nomad more :)

Prices above are from speedgoat. In a few weeks i'm going to go downtown to the one SC dealer anywhere nearby (about 25 miles away) and check them out, hopefully I can get it from them.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I really like the 5th E coil that I have, but frankly I wouldn't buy a new Progressive shock at this time. They don't make them anymore, and support will dry up in about 2 years from Progressive. Being an air shock, it will probably be more labor intensive, which makes it even more of a question mark. Maybe an aftermarket outfit like Hippietech will support the air shock like they do the coil. You're a big guy, and a coil choice sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
523 Posts
What kind of build did you get from Speedgoat? I am building one with them too

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Buy the bike with the 5th Gravity, remove it, and use it for a backup shock.
BTW: the 5th Gravity is waaaaay light weight!

Spend the $250-350 on a decent used DHX-5 coil.
At 240 lbs, you'll need a Fox DHX-5 coil as your primary shock.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mudd said:
Buy the bike with the 5th Gravity, remove it, and use it for a backup shock.
BTW: the 5th Gravity is waaaaay light weight!

Spend the $250-350 on a decent used DHX-5 coil.
At 240 lbs, you'll need a Fox DHX-5 coil as your primary shock.
Nah, that puts the overall cost over my ideal setup, except it isn't my ideal setup. Plus it adds the hassle of finding a used shock to buy. Since I now know the 5th element shock ont he complete is an air shock I'm defienitly going to go with the frame and build kit and get whatever color frame is in stock.

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.