Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my local shop is having a sale right now that is only running to the end of this week (Friday). I've narrowed it down to two bikes. The first is a Giant Talon 27.5 4 for an out the door price of $600 and the other is a Giant xtc 27.5 2 for $1500 out the door. Is the xtc really worth the extra $900? I ride for exercise and enjoyment and will not be racing any time in the near future. Only bikes I've rode so far are rentals at the National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC. I know people will say demo demo demo, but I can't before his sale ends Friday and I hate to miss out on saving several hundred dollars on a bike purchase.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think the extra $900 is worth it, especially if the $1500 price tag is still within your budget. There are some vast upgrades from the Talon to the XTC in terms of the fork, drivetrain, wheels and even tires. With the XTC, you're also getting a fork with a 15mm axle and a tapered headtube, which makes a significant difference in feel. Also easier to upgrade later on.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you have the budget for it...yes the XTC is worth the extra cash. Out of the box it essentially takes care of most upgrades you'd want to do to the Talon eventually and that $900 is cheaper than buying a new fork, brakes, drivetrain, wheels, tires, etc... after the fact. Even if you're not planning on racing or anything like that, the XTC would be a more trail worthy bike.

The Talon has an ok spec at best...the fork is a glorified bike path fork, drivetrain is pretty low-end, the Tektro hydraulic brakes aren't that great, and the hubs don't have sealed bearings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me also add that a lot of my riding will be with my 11 year old son and wife so I doubt i'll get to do much of the harder trails very often. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to ride the harder trails when my son is not with me, but is the XTC still worth getting knowing I'll probably be on easy green labeled trails 80 - 90% of the time and on the blue and possibly black trails only 10 - 20% of the time?

·
Clueless genius
275 Posts
I'd suggest looking at something inbetween those two bikes in terms of price if you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd suggest looking at something inbetween those two bikes in terms of price if you can.
Well the shop that has the sale going on right now doesn't have a lot of inventory right now because they are getting ready to move locations, which is the reason for the sale. He can get any Giant I want but I wouldn't get the better price on something he would have to order. Just thought it might be worth picking up a bike now for a better price vs buying one later. He also has a left over new '13 Anthem X 29er 4 for $1500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts