Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy on another thread posted this bike. i was lookinig at it and for 650, this is a great buy. Rock shock Sids with remote already cost like 500 and this bike comes with it. I took a look and was pretty much shocked. i am posting this on weigh weenies, cause i figured you guys know everything. This guy weighed this bike and iit was 30 pounds, that's not bad consiidering all the heavy compoents.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3692452910&ssPageName=MERC_VI

I also found some user reviews on thisi product.
http://www.dirtworld.com/COMMUNITY/generalmtb/treplies.asp?message= 1929

Here's a bit of info i found out about the bike. It seems it won some kind of award. Go figure.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...le.com/articles/ta9.html&type=jpeg&no=8&tt=12

Tell me what you guys think

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
buy it

those hodaka fasttrax bikes on ebay are the absolute best bargains going if you wanna get a nice complete parts group for cheap.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would buy it, but they don't have any hardtails, and i don't want a full suspension. I was thinking about just buying the bike for the parts to sell. But i am not sure if that will be economical, nontheless a great buy, for some of you folks out there.

Is the frame good though, how much do you think it weighs. I know Scandium is a good material, but is that a high quality frame ?

and, Dee Eight, ii took a look through your site, and found some parts that look interesting, you said you sold saddles thhough, how come i don't see any in there. Those brake levers look nice and light though

·
Registered
163 Posts
scandium is great, but i wonder how well they use it. i.e. tube manipulation to cut down on unnecessary weight in the frame. interested in hearing how much it weighs -- let us know!

·
Registered
163 Posts
sorry about my last post -- didn't see that the weight was 30 pounds. and actually that's not such a great weight. if it has an SID that means the fork weighs less than 3 pounds!!! my rockshox pilot easily weighs two pounds more than the sid (including dirt, that is hehe). and it has v brakes and not discs, so 30 pounds is pretty chunky.

my bike with discs, a 7 pound frame, rockshox pilot and deore components weighs about 31 pounds.

my guess is that the frame, though made of scandium, is probably in the 8 pound range given the rest of the component setup. i'd buy the bike and resell that stuff though. you could probably profit that way.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Seems heavy - Hardly weight weenie worthy. Whilst it may appear to be good value, I wonder in reality is it really worth spending $600.

What is the ride quality like?
Suspension on the bike? Plush? Wallower?

I don't think I would bother.

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
like someone said before..

buy it and strip it, then try to sell the frame for like 100 bucks.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
I so rarely update the list of my website of what's for sale. Think the last time I did was like 6 months ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts