Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
DarkDaze said:
Someone recently quoted that the DHX5 Air doesn't run as well as the RP23 on a Carbon Nomad.

Anyone else got an comments on this. Building up a new bike.
I'm building a new bike as well. If you read all of the posts in the dedicated Nomad C thread, you will come across many opinions on this matter. :thumbsup:

In saying that, I have heard that, once set up properly, the DHX works better. Seems to be a few different schools of thought.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you can get a dhx air with a low factory compression setting it will probably be fine. Unfortunately the frames come eith a high compression setting dhx air which means its great for climbing but feels like a pos for everything else.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm of the opinion that the DHX-Air works better for smaller (lighter) riders.
Complaints I've read about the DHX-A blowing through it's mid travel are usually from heavier riders. My wife runs a DHX-A (135#), I run an RP23 (210#) on my Nomad Mk2 and don't feel it lacks in any area. I've even done a couple bike park days on this setup without issue. Granted, we're talking buff, man-made DH trails.

Any reason you're not consdering some of RockShox's air offereings? The new vivid Air looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yippee_Ki_YayMF said:
I'm building a new bike as well. If you read all of the posts in the dedicated Nomad C thread, you will come across many opinions on this matter. :thumbsup:

In saying that, I have heard that, once set up properly, the DHX works better. Seems to be a few different schools of thought.
Seems people are recommending the DHX Coil. Actually more keen on it but feel it would be more prudent to go air for some of the trails around me.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I'll give you my very short opinions of each shock that I've tried. I have more detailed reasons for each one, but YMMV, MSRP subject to change, IMHO, IMO, etc. Just my take. My nekkid body weight ranges from 208 to 228 depending on how many cookies and beers I've had lately.

The DHX air that I have ridden were all aftermarket with the standard aftermarket tune. If you have a SC OEM one with the high compression this opinion doesn't apply to you:

The DHX-A is frigging' awesome on the stock Nomad2 and C. The linkage seems to play nicely with how the DHX-A works. The one thing that that might be lacking is the rebound could be a retuned a little better for stuff like the rolley's on Crank It Up. The shock is awesome for trail riding, and it's great on bigger hits (when set up correctly), but it seems to be really difficult to set up for most people. Not a set it and forget it shock - I feel like you have to tinker with it.

DHX-C - I hated this shock on the Nomad2. Don't want to go into details, but it rode like steamy poo.

RP23 stock L/L/175psi BV - pretty ficking great on the NomadC. If anything, it seems to be slightly over damped with the HSC and maybe a little spiky. Be sure to run plenty of rebound.

FloatR pushed with big hit kit - It handled extremely well but I couldn't ever use the last 3/8" of shock travel unless I cased a double or something really harsh. Could feel like I was bottoming out the bike when I wasn't. Push rebound feels like magic and makes the bike pedal even better

RC4 - feels pretty nice. Rebound seems to work better than the DHX-air for some reason that is probably too technical for me to ever understand. I think I'm 5 clicks from closed. Maybe it would feel even better with push linkage?

I also had a bone stock FloatR with low/low tune. That shock was absolutely the best compromise between the RP23 BV and the DHX-air. I sorta wish I had that particular shock back.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't say that DHX 5 air is a bad shock but on the Nomad, you always end up with a compromise.

You can't use much of the bottom out. The rp23 you can get with correct boostvalve and specifications, with less weight.

So really is better to by the frame with the rp23 if your concern is weight and propedal is important and them later by by a proper coil like CCDB or BOS Stoy, very easy to change depending on chosen track.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
gticlay said:
FloatR pushed with big hit kit - It handled extremely well but I couldn't ever use the last 3/8" of shock travel unless I cased a double or something really harsh. Could feel like I was bottoming out the bike when I wasn't. Push rebound feels like magic and makes the bike pedal even better

I also had a bone stock FloatR with low/low tune. That shock was absolutely the best compromise between the RP23 BV and the DHX-air. I sorta wish I had that particular shock back.
I have a Pushed Float R on my MK2 Nomad. So far I just love the thing. It will push the ring off the shaft every ride as well as supple on the small hits. I am still playing around with the SAG setting. I am still getting used to it so I am not sure if its blowing through the travel mid stroke yet or not. I know different bikes and linkage ratios etc. I suppose there's a good deal of difference between a Push tune and factory version? I have very limited experience on my buddy's DHX A. It was very active and he likes to get a lot of pop off the lip at the bike park so he doesn't run much rebound so it felt really bouncy to me. Over all it didn't feel as dampened as the Float R I am running.

I had the RP23 on my BLT and after riding the Fox Float R I don't miss it.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
wilsonblur said:
I have very limited experience on my buddy's DHX A. It was very active and he likes to get a lot of pop off the lip at the bike park so he doesn't run much rebound so it felt really bouncy to me.
Sounds weird to me. I feel like to make a bike have some pop it's gotta be more damped so it doesn't 'squish' off the lips. So it rides more hardtail like, not less. Like I said above - YMMV, JMO, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some food for thought here. Think I will go with the RP23 and Maybe get the DHX Coil at the same time and swop them over when needed.

How easy is it it to switch them over?
Is there another coil to consider?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
DarkDaze said:
Some food for thought here. Think I will go with the RP23 and Maybe get the DHX Coil at the same time and swop them over when needed.

About 30 seconds easy once you have the shock set up how you like it.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
gticlay said:
Sounds weird to me. I feel like to make a bike have some pop it's gotta be more damped so it doesn't 'squish' off the lips. So it rides more hardtail like, not less. Like I said above - YMMV, JMO, etc.
gitclay,
This isn't a knock on you or your assessment, but it seems you come from a more XC background?
To POP off an air: if you use...say, a 400lbs spring and load it up on the face of the jump, that spring will take your 180lbs, load the energy up in its 400lbs coil (from the g-loading of the in-run) and release that energy at 400lbs like a force multiplier, and spring (pop) you off the lip. Your right tho in that it'll feel bouncy because of the minimal rebound damping. But it's that pogo stick effect ppl associate w/ pop. And if rebound is completely off, the ass-end of that bike will want to come over the top of you when you come off the lip of an air. Air spring or coil spring behaves the same w/ no rebound damping.
What you're talking about w/ a stiff rear shock is not "pop" but more of an uncontrolled ricocheting off of successive hits (too high of compression damping if shock isn't compressing, too slow of a rebound if the shock is packing up). Either case, the rear of the bike will skip around like a rabbit on crack. Remember the days of hardtails on washboard corners... Again, either case, the bike will be in the air more than on the ground. However, in the case of washboard corners w/ very little rebound, the bike will want to POP off of every successive hit and you'll get the same effect of uncontrolled rabbit on crack.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
DarkDaze said:
Roco WC Coil. Look for 'em, they're coming in cheaper than the DHX-C, AND can be sent in to Avy to have Craig do some voodoo to it to make it custom. I did it to an old 5th for my MK1 Nomad and it's an amazing transformation to the bike! Just calc your spring weight correctly...the TF Tuned calc is good: http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Pau11y said:
gitclay,
This isn't a knock on you or your assessment, but it seems you come from a more XC background?
To POP off an air: if you use...say, a 400lbs spring and load it up on the face of the jump, that spring will take your 180lbs, load the energy up in its 400lbs coil (from the g-loading of the in-run) and release that energy at 400lbs like a force multiplier, and spring (pop) you off the lip. Your right tho in that it'll feel bouncy because of the minimal rebound damping. But it's that pogo stick effect ppl associate w/ pop. And if rebound is completely off, the ass-end of that bike will want to come over the top of you when you come off the lip of an air. Air spring or coil spring behaves the same w/ no rebound damping.
What you're talking about w/ a stiff rear shock is not "pop" but more of an uncontrolled ricocheting off of successive hits (too high of compression damping if shock isn't compressing, too slow of a rebound if the shock is packing up). Either case, the rear of the bike will skip around like a rabbit on crack. Remember the days of hardtails on washboard corners... Again, either case, the bike will be in the air more than on the ground. However, in the case of washboard corners w/ very little rebound, the bike will want to POP off of every successive hit and you'll get the same effect of uncontrolled rabbit on crack.
Sure. Like I said, YMMV. IMO. JMO, I was talking about pop off a jump, not recocheting off successive hits :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
gticlay said:
wilsonblur said:
I have very limited experience on my buddy's DHX A. It was very active and he likes to get a lot of pop off the lip at the bike park so he doesn't run much rebound so it felt really bouncy to me.
You know how it is when you are using another riders descriptions of things it can lack clarity and detail. I was just quoting my buddy not necessarily evaluating his accuracy. I didn't include that he reduces SAG to about 12mm when he is jumping. I am not sure its so weird. I guess its how you define pop. When shocks are dampened they move slower as you know and with it the PSI jacked up it absorbs and rebounds quickly giving him some sense of "pop" however he's using it. With the way he's running the shock at the bike park its the same cumulative affect as what you are describing a firmer shock loses less energy on the lip. So I am in agreement that his bike rides more like a HT. We are always chiding him for running his shocks so hard on the trail. I just couldn't believe how bouncy it was compared with my Float R or my RP23. Mostly because of how little sag he runs.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
DarkDaze said:

It's an easy switch. As for coil options, nothing comes close to an Avalanche coil shock. I have a Woodie on my Jedi (after having tried an Elka, and ROCO) and that thing is amazing. Craig is a genius with suspension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.