Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clicked on the Turner Sultan Ad at the top of the home page and voila! "The product you are looking for is no longer available, but they may be interested in the available products in that brand." Hmmm....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If its a good deal, maybe they sold out of it? If they did, then why wouldnt they recommend something similar? Seems like good business to me.

Did you actually call them and talk to somebody or are you just clicking around their site and then coming here to flame them in the "good deals" section of this forum?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Thats happened with many, many retailers on this website. I don't even go to the (non-forum) hot deals section of this site anymore because of it. The ads are obviously created and aren't updated often or not dynamic with their product.

Competetive Cyclist often has great blowout prices and sell out because of it. Not standing up for them, but I'm not surprised. I agree with above its not a reason to flame or boycott them though. If you do, your loss.

If you actually bought something and they sent you something similar instead, then you have all the right to gripe and complain (if they didn't correct it)

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I may have scored the last of those Sultans - there certainly was at least one.

From what I've seen, Competitive Cyclist only does those deals when they only have a couple left, and they price it well enough that it goes quick.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,184 Posts
This is marketing 101 stuff... all retailers (online or otherwise) play the same games.

They have a "very limited" number of a particular item (more often than you think; just ONE) at an incredible price. I've tried ordering more than one of countless items that I've come across at really good prices and I typically get a call from the retailer after placing the order, saying there is only qty1 of the item or I got the last one. Timing is everything for these sorts of offers.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
even if they had 30 in stock, there are thousands - tens of thousands of people here who see the same had and thousands who see it elsewhere. their goal is to show an ad and clear out stock. they suceeded/

·
Registered
92 Posts
definitely not 'bait and switch'.....

As others have mentioned, they simply sold out of the item.

I have dealt with the guys at Competitive several times, and they have been awesome. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Aside from frames:

2010 Mavic Crossride UB/Disc Wheelset $89 HOT
2010 Shimano SLX SL-M660 Rapidfire Pods $26 SOLD OUT HOT
2008 FSA SL-K Lite Carbon Crankset w/MegaExo Bottom Bracket $69 SOLD OUT HOT
2010 Campagnolo Record 11 Rear Derailleur $139
2010 SRAM X.0 Trigger Shifters $109
2011 Crank Bros Cobalt Headset $25 SOLD OUT HOT

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Yeah, none of us (until alanchan) even bothered to check the website.

The sultan is still there for sale. The ad link may be dead, but the frame is still on special if you just click twice, with a lot of others on sale also.

·
Registered
269 Posts
grrrah said:
Yeah, none of us (until alanchan) even bothered to check the website.

The sultan is still there for sale. The ad link may be dead, but the frame is still on special if you just click twice, with a lot of others on sale also.
Here is a place where I posted the sales in details and updated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.