Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m new and recently bought a Giant Talon 2 (with a change to 2.8 tires). I ride single track at Mt. Ashwabay in Northern Wisconsin. This bike was a huge upgrade from what I had before but I’ve been told that I will quickly outgrow the upright geometry on this bike. Other than moving into a new bike... are there any other modifications I can make if I start to feel limited? Increasing stem length? Different seat post?

I’m riding a lot right now and will want to get more aggressive on our more difficult trails here eventually.

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
Your bike actually looks pretty well sorted for general trail riding.
Though I don't use one myself, I would suggest a dropper post as probably the best upgrade to help you get more comfortable on more technical terrain and/or for more aggressive riding. Also, if you haven't upgraded pedals yet, a decent set (along with dedicated MTB shoes) can make a huge difference.

Also, minor tweaks to things the position of brake levers and handlebar angle can make a surprising difference. Tire pressure too.

·
monster member
1,186 Posts
Don't listen to people. One of my favorite bikes for going downhill was my '01 Specialized Enduro. Yes, it was old geometry and had a 110mm stem and narrower bars but it carved turns BEAUTIFULLY to me. Just natural. I liked it so much that I never read any bike reviews or asked people's opinions about my old bike vs new, so I rode it happily for 16 years. The only reason I bought a new bike was because both ends of the suspension died, and they were old enough that repair kits weren't available anymore, and it wasn't worth $1000 to replace fork and shock of an '01 26er.

If you like your bike, just ride it. When you feel like spending some more money, get a dropper post if there's some steep downhills where you ride.

You can experiment with different stem lengths for very cheap if you're dying to test different feels. But the best way to improve your riding skills is to just ride.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,333 Posts
If the bike feels good to ride then tune the geo advice out.

You can do a lot with wider bars, shorter stem, and a dropper post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.