Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Comparo thoughts on Stan's rim VS A/C MTB 350 rim?

Anyone out there have a chance to get some good miles on these rims? Any input would be appreciated on comparing either of the two.

Thanks

-T

·
Whatever
583 Posts
About 2 months on Stan's rim on front only, no problems

TomFL said:
Anyone out there have a chance to get some good miles on these rims? Any input would be appreciated on comparing either of the two.

Thanks

-T
I've got about 2 months (2x/week) on Stan's rim for front only. Also one very technical XC race. On my Maverick frame / fork setup. Works very well, and noticeably lighter than my other front which is a Mavic X3.1. I'm debating buying one for a new rear wheel, to complete a race wheel setup. What other light rims should I consider (besides Mavic 317 or whatever the new # is)? FYI I use Stan's setup with regular tires and Stan's rimstrips.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
AC makes stuff?

Max said:
aren't stan's rims manufactured by Am Classic?
I was under the impression that AC actually didn't do any manufacturing. Chin Haur made their first ISIS BB.

Rim extrusion requires very expensive machinery, and there aren' that many companies actually making them. Anybody know who besides Weinmann makes rims in the US these days?

Ole.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
In an email reply to me, Stan said that the rims were mfr. in Cali for him.... but not by who...

When i looked at 'em, they looked to be a little less refined / finished than the AC rims..... but for disk, doesn't matter! As long as they are round and straight....

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Ole said:
I was under the impression that AC actually didn't do any manufacturing. Chin Haur made their first ISIS BB.

Rim extrusion requires very expensive machinery, and there aren' that many companies actually making them. Anybody know who besides Weinmann makes rims in the US these days?

Ole.
You're correct, Stan's rims are not manufactured by American Classic. AC does have everything made overseas.

I would guess that there are 100s of companies in the US that can extrude aluminum, a rim is nothing more than another extrusion to them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts