Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it's schools holidays here in AU, and two of my three sons have been riding with me lately, I have been able to make some interesting comparisons between the performance of the 29'er and 26'ers which they are riding.

Both boys [10 and 15] are good riders, especially the 15 year old. They are very fit and can just about ride my legs off.. :)

We have been mostly riding on the local home trails because boys nowdays are very busy with important things like computer games and girlfriends, as any dad knows.. :)

Watching these young fellows tackle obstacles is an education to me. The youngest one goes at them slowly, if he can't make it over he is off in a flash and pushing.

The older one is amazing in what he can do, and there is very little that can actually stop him. He is an athlete and an A grade soccer player, so is very fit. He goes at obstacles flat out and beats them into submission. He never crashes, he just leaps off the bike from seemingly impossible situations and somehow survives without a scratch.

I have observed that both of my boys have problems riding over some obstacles on their 26'ers, things that I clear without too much effort. My youngest son crashed three times today on our ride because his smaller wheels dropped into holes or hit a rock that he couldn't get through or over.

Even the 15 year old has much the same problems, the small wheels dropping into stuff and hanging up so that he stalls and has to jump off.

However, riding up steep long hills puts me back in my place, because at the top when they are barely breathing hard, I am panting like an old horse...:)

I dare not let my 15 year old on the 29'er. If just once he gets a taste of the advantages of the big wheels he will want one.

Us old guys have got to keep these cheeky young kids in their place...lol.. :)

R.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 6 year old recently upgraded to 20" wheels (and 5 gears). He is out pacing and more adventurous than my 11 year old on bigger wheels. The little one just loves to ride, and will repeat a little circuit for an hour if let go. He was also doing some rough fire roads on his 16" wheeled single speed before upgrading to the "Big Wheels". At this rate he may be on a 29er by the time he is 10... ;)

Sit vis vobiscum Rainman, and one day Imus ad magum ozi videndum, magum ozi mirum mirissimum.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
dgdixon said:
My 6 year old recently upgraded to 20" wheels (and 5 gears). He is out pacing and more adventurous than my 11 year old on bigger wheels. The little one just loves to ride, and will repeat a little circuit for an hour if let go. He was also doing some rough fire roads on his 16" wheeled single speed before upgrading to the "Big Wheels". At this rate he may be on a 29er by the time he is 10... ;)
threadjack - DG - nice to meet you quickly the other day. How were the conditions back there on Coastal/Green Gulch? When was that, Saturday?

How old was your 6yr old when he began riding? My son is 3 and change, and I'm thinking of getting him his first bike.

Brian

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Tamjam: continuing with the threadjack, my son turned 3 on Thanksgiving and he's been riding bikes (with training wheels) for about 1.5 years. I got him a dinky (like 10" wheeled) bike Spring 2004, then got him a nice Free Agent 12" bmx bike for christmas last year (X-Mas 2004). He can ride about a mile with me walking with him, then I make him take a break and get a drink of water, etc. The training wheels will be coming off this coming Summer I'm sure. You'll be amazed how fast the kids pick it up.
p.s. I'm still crying tears over losing the auction for your Slingshot, but maybe a Redline Monocog 29er will start to mend my broken heart.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
el-cid said:
Tamjam: continuing with the threadjack, my son turned 3 on Thanksgiving and he's been riding bikes (with training wheels) for about 1.5 years. I got him a dinky (like 10" wheeled) bike Spring 2004, then got him a nice Free Agent 12" bmx bike for christmas last year (X-Mas 2004). He can ride about a mile with me walking with him, then I make him take a break and get a drink of water, etc. The training wheels will be coming off this coming Summer I'm sure. You'll be amazed how fast the kids pick it up.
p.s. I'm still crying tears over losing the auction for your Slingshot, but maybe a Redline Monocog 29er will start to mend my broken heart.
Man, you could have bid $100 higher and it still would have been cheap considering what I paid for it... :rolleyes: What was it, 2 weeks before Christmas? Not the best time to be trying to get top dollar on ebay I suppose.

My 3yr old has been on a Like-a-bike for a little over a year (picured in my avatar) so I'm not in a huge rush to get him on a real bike yet, since the likeabike is supposed to teach them enough about balance that they don't have to use training wheels once they move to a real bike. But he is beginning to show some interest, when he sees other kids around his age on their bikes. Definitely by the summer though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
tamjam said:
threadjack - DG - nice to meet you quickly the other day. How were the conditions back there on Coastal/Green Gulch? When was that, Saturday?

How old was your 6yr old when he began riding? My son is 3 and change, and I'm thinking of getting him his first bike.

Brian
Good to meet you also Brian, and yes it was Saturday, the last day and ride of the year. It was a mudfest most everywhere that day once we left Westpoint Inn, and it did not help (or maybe it did) that we stopped at the Pelican Inn for a few Newcastles before leaving Muir Beach. We had a great group, and had a blast, even getting back after dark without lights.

I think your son could definately be riding at 3, and I think my son gave up his training wheels before he was 4. He was also making it to Tennassee Valley beach (up the hill) before he was 5 on the little single speed. Having an older brother to try and keep up with has definately pushed him into it sooner than some of his friends

See you on the hills,
David

And in keeping with Rainman's latin theme, Nunc est bibendum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts