Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am debating on abandoning my mkiii before it breaks and one of my options is switching to a 2009 spec. enduro. i haven't ridden one, but i won't have a chance to before my opportunity comes and goes. what i am wondering is if anyone has tried both suspensions and has any feedback they'd like to share. i hold my mkiii dear to my heart but i cannot live with the fact that it will inevitably fail.

·
glassphisheye
335 Posts
I've tried both and believe it or not the DW tracks much better. The FSR is a great design but the DW is amazingly plush. I was on an azonic B-52 FSR patent bike and switched to a Ironhorse 6.point. The difference was noticable. If your going XC though, Specialized has always fit the bill and they will still have warranties if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
198 Posts
IMO DW is much better suspension and I've had really good FSR bikes to compare (Spec Enduro 04, Titus Moto Lite, Turner 5 Spot).

I'd consider Giant Trance X instead (cracking bike, ride it now) or, if you want something bling, things like Ibis Mojo, Turner DW Spot and Pivot Mach 5.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I've been on most major suspension designs. I didn't like the specy fsr compared to the mk3.

Outta everything I've road, the best feeling ones were....

other dw bikes!
vpp2 on a blur ltc blur lt2 tracer
marin! the five inch and six inch bikes.
maestro!
and supposedly i drive by GT but that's the one I haven't actually been on.

The maestro is damn near the same as dw, scary the same.
The vpp2 doesn't seem to handle the super small bumps as much but tracks much better through the faster, bigger stuff....like downieville.
The marin actually surprised me, they're pretty cheap cost wise! With propedal on one, it climbed just as good as my dw mk3, but was more solid than compliant and absorbing like dw. It was butter on the dh tho.

Hope that helps man! Me personally, I like the characteristics of DW, and when my rear tri breaks again, I'll be shopping dw again. It descends great, it climbs great, it climbs well even unseated and mashing. It's everything I like in a bike.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Andrew Evteev said:
IMO DW is much better suspension and I've had really good FSR bikes to compare (Spec Enduro 04, Titus Moto Lite, Turner 5 Spot).

I'd consider Giant Trance X instead (cracking bike, ride it now) or, if you want something bling, things like Ibis Mojo, Turner DW Spot and Pivot Mach 5.
the tranceX is kinda weird. You only have one rear shock option and it's through fox, so you can't really mess around with your rear suspension like you can with other bikes.

Other than that though, they climb JUST like dw.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
If you're thinking about getting an FSR after riding a DW Link, you might as well buy a hardtail. Last FSR bike I had was in 2005 and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Tried everything including an uber plush Roco coil and nothing could make that suspension feel right. Sure, it climbed like a monkey but it was super rough on anything down.

I've owned, ridden and raced almost every type of suspension (with the exception of the Delta link) and the DW Link is worlds ahead of the rest. Even though my Mojo only had 5.5 inches of travel, it felt as plush as the Turner RFX I had the year before with 6.5 inches of travel. And my Sunday...that bike was beyond words.

Every bike and every component is going to fail at some point. Just because some people are vocal about their broken MK3's on this website doesn't mean yours is going to break. There are plenty of people with old MK3's that are still going strong, they just don't post on this website. With any bike or component you're going to have the problem bikes being more vocal on here when the guys who's bikes are doing fine not posting up because their emotions aren't all a wreck because their bike's broken.

MK3's are hugely popular over in the UK and I still see them showing up in Dirt Mag UK magazine and other online sites frequently.

Ride it until it breaks and if it doesn't don't worry about and be glad you have a DW Link bike and the other guy doesn't.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
DW to FSR... that's a BJ compared to a kick in the nuts.

I can't think of any situation were FSR worked better than my IH (spend a year and a half on a FSR bike thinking it was the best out there, and concluded I'd rather ride a hardtail). If you were asking FSR vs a single pivot, then I could see debate (without a clear winner), compared to DW link I think you'll be severely disappointed.

FSR was state of the art when 40mm of travel was a downhill bike, and hasn't changed since.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
see, i knew the result was going to be in favour of dw-link. i knew that because i love it. i was thinking maybe the extra 20mm of travel would make a difference, but i guess not. now i head over to the specialized forum to see that they'll all be in favour of fsr.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
My two cents: ride your MK3 into the ground and then throw all your components on a new Mojo or Mojo HD. Ibis warranty is second to none-believe me I had to use it and they went above and beyond the call of duty-no questions asked, no delays, no attitude.

I had a problem with my Mojo's rear triangle last spring, sent them an email on a Sunday with a photo and explanation and had a brand new replacement triangle by Wednesday. I just had to ship the broken triangle back to them in the same box. None of this ship the broken part to them, wait for them to get around to check it out, then maybe send out a replacement part.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
saturnine said:
see, i knew the result was going to be in favour of dw-link. i knew that because i love it. i was thinking maybe the extra 20mm of travel would make a difference, but i guess not. now i head over to the specialized forum to see that they'll all be in favour of fsr.
Of course they'll be in favor of the FSR. But my guess is most of them haven't ridden anything else except for maybe the rigid hardtail they learned on.

I think Specialized makes a quality bike, but if you're comparing suspension schematics it's old tech that relies heavily on platform assisted rear shocks (Brain Tumor or whatever they call that ugly thing sticking off their shocks). Compare that to a DW Link or even a VPP bike and that platform assistance isn't needed. You can run a Float R without the ProPedal lever and not be without a great riding bike-both up and down.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i only have this question because i've been offered a 2009 enduro frame for $700 CAD which is a great deal for that frame.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Sure the specy forum is gunna be biased like we are, but the poster above you, and myself, have both spent time on fsr bikes, and we know the suspension comparisons. DW is better, hands down.

Give an fsr guy an ibis or an mk3 and they'll say the dw is better as well. Ride the two back to back and you really get a sense of just HOW good dw bikes are. It's pretty awesome really!

That sounds like a great deal on that enduro man, but still...I wouldn't do it. Where are you located? Post in your local forum about test riding one from a shop or meet someone at a trail with one and give it a try. Then decide for yourself. I've done this and the dw bike came out way better.

Good luck though man! I'm kinda in the same boat, on my replacement triangle now and starting to look at other bikes. I personally think the marin's are hard to beat. The short dual link suspension works pretty damn close to maestro/dw in terms of feel, and you can find 08/09 5 or even the 6 inch bikes for like 350 bux for frame/rear shock.....NEW!

If budget isn't an issue, hop on a turner or an ibis. You don't see many turners for sale used, but there are ALOT of mojos being sold to make money for an order for an HD. 1100-1500 for a slightly used ibis mojo frame is a steal imo. Just gotta get over the whole carbon fear! :) Yuba expeditions in Downieville, CA was blowing out brand new ibis mojo frame+rear shock for like 1675!

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
budget is kinda tight right now. i would absolutely buy a 6point if it didn't require getting a new wheelset and cranks and fork

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
slx doubles are what...130 if you shop around?

dt swiss 5.1 wheelset with hope pro2's is...280? shipped looks like brand new and hand built, but doesn't show if they're using the 5.1s...

grab a new rs rev, or even a used lyrik and you're good to go!

That'd be a pretty sweet build, shouldn't cost too much!

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just bought a 2010 rev, but the fork is so tiny that it would be out of place on a 6point. it almost looks like one of those walmart forks.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
out with the old

in with the new

the geo is pretty similar with a few exceptions, most noticeably the head angle. it's at least 2 degrees slacker. bb is higher and wheelbase is obviously longer. ETT i think is within a quarter inch. frame feels as light, if not lighter. the mk3 tubing felt a little more solid (except in the rear triangle as we all know). it feels the same just sitting on it, except the shock sucks. i won't have any ride time to really compare because it's winter. resale should be pretty good if i don't like it which would help towards a turner or ibis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.