Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a similar post in the Giant forum. I have a allez sport and am in the market for a mountain bike, probably FS. How do the Pitch pro and Giant Trance x2 compare to one another? They are at similar price points. The trance has 5 inches of travel and is considered a trailbike. Is the Pitch more of a trail bike like the trance or closer to the all mountain side of the spectrum? Does one have a deffinite over the other or do they both have good attributes? At this point I don't really have any brand loyolty.....sorry to all the specialized lovers :D . I'm just looking to get the best bike for my $.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't speak for the Pitch but it does have pretty similar lines to the Trance X2 which I recently purchased. I tried a Trek Top Fuel 7, Scott Genius, Scott Spark and Anthem X2. All great bikes but I just found that when taking the bike itself, along with the price, into account, the Trance was a great all round bike. It is kind of cruisy which makes going up hills reasonably comfortable, especially when hit with a few big rocks or steps to get up but it also goes downhill with enough speed for me. The Pro-pedal on the back generally works a charm and the whole rig is nice and light. It’s not as racy as something like the Anthem or the Genius but the Pitch isn’t either so I guess that’s not what you are after. I don’t have a direct comparison to the Pitch but I don’t think you would be disappointed if you went for the Trance.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats about the best overview i've gotten about the bike yet.....what are you doing in the spec forum? haha....so you didn't ride the pitch in that group at all? I know the pitch shares the same rp2 shock as the trance x2 which is why i thought they may be comparable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two things, I was searching for something to do with the Trance and this came up and (like most of us!) am already dreaming of my next bike! None of my LBS stock Specialized and as they are close and have great reputations, I was always going to buy something from one of them. When I looked up the Pitch, it looks remarkably similar to the Trance and the gear on it is also pretty similar, I am sure that it is a great bike. Have you ridden both? The Pitch looks to be a little more expensive so I guess it becomes a matter of it feeling that many $ better to ride. The one thing I did with the Trance was get them to replace the Kenda tyres with Crossmarks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
daverh said:
Two things, I was searching for something to do with the Trance and this came up and (like most of us!) am already dreaming of my next bike! None of my LBS stock Specialized and as they are close and have great reputations, I was always going to buy something from one of them. When I looked up the Pitch, it looks remarkably similar to the Trance and the gear on it is also pretty similar, I am sure that it is a great bike. Have you ridden both? The Pitch looks to be a little more expensive so I guess it becomes a matter of it feeling that many $ better to ride. The one thing I did with the Trance was get them to replace the Kenda tyres with Crossmarks.
Well the msrp of the pitch pro is $2200 for the 2010 and the trance x2 msrp is $2725, both those prices are off the website. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get the x2 for? I'm trying to get a basis of reasonable prices to look for at the local shops around me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for anyone that may know....is it pretty fair to say the pitch comes somewhere in the middle of the trance x2 and the reign 2? It's kind of tough to compare bike across different brands

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in Sydney (Australia) so probably a little difficult to directly compare prices, especially as the A$ is pretty high at the moment which brings the price down a lot for us. My Trance X2 was A$2,800 and, from what I can see, the Pitch Pro is best price A$3,300.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope that is the case here in the US as well because I'm starting to lean towards the Trance x2......:) but that could all change when I get the chance to get to the shops and take them for a ride.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Those two aren't really comparable, and ride noticeably different. The Trance X2 is a 5" travel trailbike with steeper geometry while the Pitch Pro is 6" travel AM bike with slacker geometry. If you're looking at a Pitch Pro, the most comparable Giant would be a Reign 2 (not Reign X2) at $2150 MSRP.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have no experince about the Trace but,
I love my Pitch, it can take anything I dish out.
Like Bulldozer said it is more of an Agressive trail bike and can also take some light DH/FR.
This season im going to be doing alot of park riding so we will see how it holds up :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Giant Trance is equivalent to StumpJumper. Both have 5 inch travel and more for Trail/XC riding.

Pitch is equivalent to Giant Reign. Both have 6 inch travel and more for All Mountain/Light DH-FR riding.

Both bikes are a lot of fun but the Pitch will take more abuse for sure.

I do quite a bit of light FR in my Enduro SL and one of my riding buddies uses his Pitch. He is a big fella (100kg) and the Pitch takes the abuse nicely!!!

Choose the bike according to your riding! Good luck!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
or i guess i'm wondering how these two bikes in general compare to one another. I know they have different rear shocks and the forks have different amount of travel. Is the riding experience on these two bikes similar? I'm talking Stumpy Comp and Trance X2. I believe those are the two models at similar price point and comparability.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Both are made by fox?!!! :D Just kidding.... I don't know the difference between the shocks as I have never tried them. My comparison was made based on the purpose of the bikes. They are both Trail/XC with same travel.

They are both really good bikes but Giants have the reputation of better value for money in terms of components. You gotta remember both bikes also have different suspension systems (Maestro Vs FSR), so I think it will come down to trying both bikes and choose which one you like the most.

I had a similar dilemma when I bought my Enduro SL as I also liked the Giant Reign. I tried both bikes, played with all settings, blah, blah, blah and at the end, the SL always felt just great. I must say, the price difference was huge. The Reign was $1,300 cheaper and a very capable bike too but I just didn't like it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pitch Pitch Pitch.... by far

just to take a look...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5493661&page=4

first of all.... this bike is no ho... it makes you the... if you got game this bike has more, light, climbs like a raging RAM and decends like bombs on afganistan.... beast even with the stocl 140mm pike in front.... im getting the 160mm for a lil more plush in the overall ride.... but i really dont even need too.... it rides over rock gardens with easy.

not to mention... Giant didnt get number one here.... read it weap rainy days....

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/a...-reviews-of-09-24369?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRMTBHOME

and if that isnt enough.... the bike has reviews on MTBR... search pitch reviews...

MTB

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mtbswindler said:
just to take a look...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5493661&page=4

first of all.... this bike is no ho... it makes you the... if you got game this bike has more, light, climbs like a raging RAM and decends like bombs on afganistan.... beast even with the stocl 140mm pike in front.... im getting the 160mm for a lil more plush in the overall ride.... but i really dont even need too.... it rides over rock gardens with easy.

not to mention... Giant didnt get number one here.... read it weap rainy days....

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/a...-reviews-of-09-24369?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRMTBHOME

and if that isnt enough.... the bike has reviews on MTBR... search pitch reviews...

MTB
So you reccommend the pitch? Haha i'm only kidding. Choosing a bike is such a tough decision!!!! I have read the reviews on here on the bikes over and over. It seems to me as though both bikes got very good overall reviews on here. Thats what makes it even harder. It didn't seem like one had the distinct advantage over the other.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.