Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the SC website for these two bikes, the builds look almost (sans grips/tires) exactly the same (infact the prices are the same, $4799).

What's the difference between the two? Is it purely geometric?

I have a 2014 BlurTRc (medium) and am looking to upgrade to a 29er and do more XC type riding now than technical. I'm in NorCal (peninsula).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Geometry, weight, travel, 27.5+ compatibility. They're different bikes. Try to demo both. For what you say you're looking for I suspect the Blur TR might be the better fit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Geometry, weight, travel, 27.5+ compatibility. They're different bikes. Try to demo both. For what you say you're looking for I suspect the Blur TR might be the better fit.
They actually aren't terribly different.

With a 120 fork the geo is very similar between the two bikes (I had both for a period of time). They do ride differently though. The rear suspension of the blur is a lot firmer than the Tallboy, while the difference in travel is only 10mm, the Tallboy is a lot more plush than the blur.

I had both and kept the Tallboy since it was just about as fast, just about as light (frame weight is actually not hugely different), but it was a lot better on the super rough trails here in Tucson.

If I lived elsewhere I may have kept the blur. Both are good bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I demo'ed a Blur on the technical eastern trails I usually ride and was very surprised that I was able to fly through areas that usually caused me grief on my longer travel 5010. There is a lot to be said for light and fast and it makes you realized many of us don't need a lot of suspension travel. Speed is a great equalizer.

I've also ridden the current Tallboy so I can compare the two.

Yet, in the end, I'll likely end up with a new Hightower hoping all the travel will cover my poor riding skills.

·
Registered
21 Rocky Mountain, GT LaBomba DJ
356 Posts
I demo'ed a Blur on the technical eastern trails I usually ride and was very surprised that I was able to fly through areas that usually caused me grief on my longer travel 5010. There is a lot to be said for light and fast and it makes you realized many of us don't need a lot of suspension travel. Speed is a great equalizer.

I've also ridden the current Tallboy so I can compare the two.

Yet, in the end, I'll likely end up with a new Hightower hoping all the travel will cover my poor riding skills.
Interesting. I have a Blur TR with the fork extended to 120, did several demos on a Tallboy prior to purchase, and am about to pick up a 5010. I ride in AL on various types of trails and my experience is completely opposite. The 5010 makes things the most smooth to me, the Tallboy would be second and has benefits of both the 5010 and Blur.

The Blur is light and fast in many situations but has it's limits. It really is a XC race bike that is able to tackle a little more technical courses than a standard Blur and is able to ride most trails within reason and under control. As @Toddzilla said above with the fork at 120 the TB and Blur are nearly identical geometry wise with the wheelbase being a little shorter on the Blur.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Interesting. I have a Blur TR with the fork extended to 120, did several demos on a Tallboy prior to purchase, and am about to pick up a 5010. I ride in AL on various types of trails and my experience is completely opposite. The 5010 makes things the most smooth to me, the Tallboy would be second and has benefits of both the 5010 and Blur.

The Blur is light and fast in many situations but has it's limits. It really is a XC race bike that is able to tackle a little more technical courses than a standard Blur and is able to ride most trails within reason and under control. As @Toddzilla said above with the fork at 120 the TB and Blur are nearly identical geometry wise with the wheelbase being a little shorter on the Blur.
That's probably down to trail makeup, on the east coast your trail can literally be all rocks, and many times its a LOT of rocks scattered in a way with no flow, having a lighter bike with better rollover can kinda "float" over these sections better. We also have some steep rock rolls though where having a bit more slack front end and extra travel makes the sharp transition at the bottom easier, it's a tough place to find a perfect bike for.

·
Registered
21 Rocky Mountain, GT LaBomba DJ
356 Posts
That's probably down to trail makeup, on the east coast your trail can literally be all rocks, and many times its a LOT of rocks scattered in a way with no flow, having a lighter bike with better rollover can kinda "float" over these sections better. We also have some steep rock rolls though where having a bit more slack front end and extra travel makes the sharp transition at the bottom easier, it's a tough place to find a perfect bike for.
We have a lot of the same things here as most of the trails are in the foothills of the Appalachian's. The higher up you ride this is even more so true, on both of your points. Some of the lower trails are flow trails. The rollover and angle of attack do change things, as do the rollouts of the wheels sizes, which can make something seem easier overall.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The larger wheels on the Blur combined with the extra speed I could get out of a bike that was 5 or more pounds lighter then my 5010 V1 allowed me to float over rocks that could stop the forward momentum of a bike with smaller wheels and more weight.

I also had very good rides on the first generation Hightower, with and without plus tires.

The reason I went with the 5010 was it's ability to navigate the tight turns my rides involve. That and the fact that the Hightower had not been introduced yet and the Tallboy wasn't available because of the transition to Version 2. At that time, early to mid 2015, it came between the first generation 5010 and Bronson and after a bunch of demo rides, I felt the 5010 was the better choice.

As I originally said, the Hightower 2 may be what I'm looking for but I have to get some time on dirt with that bike and I am seriously interested in the Tallboy 4 due out in mid August which appears will be close to what the first Hightower was but that is only from what I've heard from the SC rep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.