Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking around at getting a FS bike to go along with my hardtail. I've been comparing geometry on a bunch of different bikes. My hardtail has a bottom bracket height of 11.5 inches by the original specs. I was hoping to get a little more bb and pedal clearance on the FS rig, so I'm wondering what I need to shoot for. They don't really compare directly because of rear suspension sag and travel, right?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Wheel, if you compare the two you'll find that...

FS bikes generally run higher BB heights to begin with. That is to compensate for sag and suspension motion. Most FS bikes run between 12.5 (pretty low, but mostly on XC race bikes) and 14 inches, depending on the make, model, travel, etc. I would suggest that you look for something in the 13 to 13.5 inch range for a 4 inch travel bike, somewhere in the 13.5 to 14 or so for a 5 inch or more travel bike. For the most part that should give you sufficient clearance.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Squash

I'm looking at 4" or 5" travel bikes that are XC-raceable at a Beginner or Sport level. Most have bb heights of 12.5 - 13.0 inches. The reason I asked is because I like the look of the SC Superlight but the bb height is only 12.1 inches, and that seems really low. . .

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Squash said:
FS bikes generally run higher BB heights to begin with. That is to compensate for sag and suspension motion. Most FS bikes run between 12.5 (pretty low, but mostly on XC race bikes) and 14 inches, depending on the make, model, travel, etc. I would suggest that you look for something in the 13 to 13.5 inch range for a 4 inch travel bike, somewhere in the 13.5 to 14 or so for a 5 inch or more travel bike. For the most part that should give you sufficient clearance.

Good Dirt
I think your listed BB height numbers are on the high side for the travel ranges listed comapred to what is currently available.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Wheeldog said:
I'm looking at 4" or 5" travel bikes that are XC-raceable at a Beginner or Sport level. Most have bb heights of 12.5 - 13.0 inches. The reason I asked is because I like the look of the SC Superlight but the bb height is only 12.1 inches, and that seems really low. . .
SC bikes are notorious for their low BB height and constant hitting of pedals on the trail. I believe this is due to their origin and where they are used. Even the Blur with a 12.6"/12.8" BB is too low for a lot of people.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Gear, the figures I used are from manufacturers....

GearHead said:
I think your listed BB height numbers are on the high side for the travel ranges listed comapred to what is currently available.
Not off the top of my head. They are averages of solid figures. Actual BB height is TOTALY dependent on the manufacturer of course. I have found that most 4" travel bikes run in the 12.5 to 13" range, 3.5 travel bikes run in the 11.5 to 12" range. There are some with more than that but VERY few with less. Do some research, I think you'll find that my figures are pretty close with the few exceptions that always occur.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Squash said:
Not off the top of my head. They are averages of solid figures. Actual BB height is TOTALY dependent on the manufacturer of course. I have found that most 4" travel bikes run in the 12.5 to 13" range, 3.5 travel bikes run in the 11.5 to 12" range. There are some with more than that but VERY few with less. Do some research, I think you'll find that my figures are pretty close with the few exceptions that always occur.

Good Dirt
Which numbers do you want me to research? In your first post you stated that 4" travel FS bikes have a BB height of between 13" to 13.5", which is a little higher than normal. In the next post you state that 4" travel FS bikes have a BB height of between 12.5" to 13", which I agree with.

Bad Dirt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.