Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been helping a beginer friend to look for an entry level full-suspension x-c bike. I have narrowed down the candidate bikes to the following 3:

Specialized FSR
Cannondale Rush

and,

Santa Cruz Superlight

The Specialized and Cannondale are about the same price at aroudn $1200 while the Santa Cruz is $1600. Obviously, the SC has better componentry. But that's not my question.

I'd like to know how they ride

This is for strictly x-c.

I'm pretty happy with the Superlight myself, and I'm sure she'll be thrilled. But I'd like to know what she'll be missing, if at all, by getting the either the Specialized or Cannondale. And how those 2 compare. $400 extra (for the Superlight) is quite a bit for a beginer. I do wonder if she can tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
All pretty nice rides.

The Superlight and C-Dale are single pivots. The Spechy's a 4 Bar, might make a difference to some, not as much to others.

Biggest thing will be how well does the bike fit? That'll make the biggest difference, if she's comfortable on the bike - it only helps to inspire confidence.

Make sure she test rides 'em and gets the one that feels right. The one she wants to ride is the right choice, which may not be my choice, but it's not my ride either, eh?

JmZ

abc said:
I've been helping a beginer friend to look for an entry level full-suspension x-c bike. I have narrowed down the candidate bikes to the following 3:

Specialized FSR
Cannondale Rush

and,

Santa Cruz Superlight

The Specialized and Cannondale are about the same price at aroudn $1200 while the Santa Cruz is $1600. Obviously, the SC has better componentry. But that's not my question.

I'd like to know how they ride

This is for strictly x-c.

I'm pretty happy with the Superlight myself, and I'm sure she'll be thrilled. But I'd like to know what she'll be missing, if at all, by getting the either the Specialized or Cannondale. And how those 2 compare. $400 extra (for the Superlight) is quite a bit for a beginer. I do wonder if she can tell the difference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, it's the one that fits.

Trouble being, most shops aren't anywhere near any trail. For that matter, not ever near any dirt. So, the only "fit" she can test is cockpit fit such as standover and reach, which I WILL have her test out.

Most brand these days don't advertise their bike weight any more. I'm kind of curious if there's any difference in those 3. I know the Superlight is around 25lb for a small, which is really very good for an entry level bike. But it's the also the most expensive of the 3. I know the Specilized isn't as light as the superlight, but don't know by how much. And I had no clue to the weight of the Rush. Not sure it matter though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.