Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
motoadve said:
Will the 0.45 difference be noticeable you think?
Yes! .. I have run both set-ups on 2 different but similar bikes and after awhile my knee can notice the difference. ;)
Something else to consider is the weight of the 36 rear cassette and the limited choices of them.
I have run a Q-ring as a small ring up front and that seemed to help alot with the dead spot at TDC...spendy though! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike is a Cannondale Jekyll ultimate.
It only comes with 2 rings and the combination is 26/36.
My bad knee couldnt take it in the steep terrain I ride.

Ideally I would like a 36/22 , my knee is not getting any better cartilage is worn out and ligaments gone (motorcycle accident) But love to ride and also need to, if I dont ride for a week, my knee gets very painfull. But if I pull strong gears I get pain too.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
motoadve said:
What is a Q ring?
This will be in a FSA SL-K BB30 is there a 22 sprocket for this setup?
Sorry, I didn't know how to paste the site but check out rotorbikeusa.com.
They site is kind of confusing. They sell a inner ring that fits the 64mm standard you should have..it's spendy at $57 and is a 23 but feels like a 21 at TDC. :thumbsup:
There are reviews on mtbr. check reviews check the letter r Q rings will show up at top of page!

http://www.cart32hostingred.com/cgi...NTSLLC-store?catid=256998670&prodid=153542180

Also you can do a 22/36 set-up up front...probably need to play with front derail tho!

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
motoadve said:
./.....But love to ride and also need to, if I dont ride for a week, my knee gets very painfull. But if I pull strong gears I get pain too.
Wow, I just read this! It's like looking in a mirror (metaphysically speaking lol)
As for Shiggy's and Akamp's math...you guys are right!....just seems like it would be a larger difference!
It then must just be psychological what my knees feel! :thumbsup:

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
AKamp said:
Actually shouldn't it be 22/34=.647
24/36=.667

So for a 26 inch wheeled bike every revolution of the crank will make you go 1.6 inches farther for the 24/36 ...
Exactly! ;)

It sounds like motoadve wants the lowest option possible, for good reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.