Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for sub 800 grams UST tires for my new bike. Also, I would prefer something larger than a 2.1.

I currently have the order as 2.1 Blue Groove UST / 2.1 Nevegal UST but did not realize how heavy they were and if they are in fact about 880 grams, i would rather go with something else.

My question is in regards to these tires which I am seriously looking at. These tires, on paper, seem to meet my needs but I always worry about actual size of the tire.

* Big Jim 2.25 UST (front tire candidate)
* Vertical Pro 2.3 UST (front? and/or back? candidate)
* Spider 2.3 UST (front? and/or back? candidate)

What are the relative actual sizes of these tires?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I've had all 3 in UST and that size and here is what I've found:
Big Jim- Best of them all. It's very tough and has excellent traction. They do wear kind of quickly but even when they are worn down they still ride good. As far as size goes it's in the middle of the 3. I'm on my 3rd tire on the rear with this one. They're pretty good up front as well but I like something bigger upfront.
Vert Pro's- My least favorite. The casings are very thin. I rode them for a month before returning them. I had a flat a day with these. I loved the traction and the weight but way too fragile for my taste. As far as size goes they are the smallest. They seem more like a 2.1 to me.
Spyder- I rode these for about 2 months before giving up. The traction was excellent but I had the same problem with getting flats as I did with the Vert Pro's. The casings are very thin. This is a big tire. The knobs aren't that big but the casings are huge. Too huge IMO. The tire felt too bouncy to me. I was pretty disappointed with these.

btw-
I'm a rider in the Northeast with lots of gnarly terrain. The stuff I ride could be labeled freeride light (because I'm too scared to do the "real" freeride stuff). I have a 6x6 bike that's about 32lbs. I'm very tough on tires. I ride the Geax Sturdy 2.25 UST up front and the Big Jim 2.25 UST on the back with a couple of scoops of Stan's.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woodyak said:
I've had all 3 in UST and that size and here is what I've found:
Big Jim- Best of them all. It's very tough and has excellent traction. They do wear kind of quickly but even when they are worn down they still ride good. As far as size goes it's in the middle of the 3. I'm on my 3rd tire on the rear with this one. They're pretty good up front as well but I like something bigger upfront.
Vert Pro's- My least favorite. The casings are very thin. I rode them for a month before returning them. I had a flat a day with these. I loved the traction and the weight but way too fragile for my taste. As far as size goes they are the smallest. They seem more like a 2.1 to me.
Spyder- I rode these for about 2 months before giving up. The traction was excellent but I had the same problem with getting flats as I did with the Vert Pro's. The casings are very thin. This is a big tire. The knobs aren't that big but the casings are huge. Too huge IMO. The tire felt too bouncy to me. I was pretty disappointed with these.

btw-
I'm a rider in the Northeast with lots of gnarly terrain. The stuff I ride could be labeled freeride light (because I'm too scared to do the "real" freeride stuff). I have a 6x6 bike that's about 32lbs. I'm very tough on tires. I ride the Geax Sturdy 2.25 UST up front and the Big Jim 2.25 UST on the back with a couple of scoops of Stan's.
Thanks again for your timely feedback!

It is helpful to know these relative sizes. Sure sounds like the front tire to beat is a Sturdy. I dont know why, but I am surprised to hear that the Big Jim is a good rear tire. I must have had it confused with the Albert which I do think is a front only type of tire.

Depending on what Larry tells me about weights of these tires, I may go with either the Big Jim or Kenda Nevegal as the rear tire.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The Jim and Albert treads both work well front and rear. I tend to like the Albert a bit better. The weight gain is because of the larger tread blocks. On the rear the Jim tends to "stick" better in the corners. The Albert will slip out a bit in a very predictable and controllable way I like.

I like the Spider 2.3 tubeless and do not find it bouncy. Mine are currently flat because of blackberry thorns. They show no sidewall or tread damage after being used in the rocks of Fruita and Flagstaff and the roots, logs and slop of Oregon.

Just weighed one of the Neve 2.10 USTs I got at Sea Otter: 806g.
Spider 2.3 Tubeless is ~760g.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
shiggy said:
The Jim and Albert treads both work well front and rear. I tend to like the Albert a bit better. The weight gain is because of the larger tread blocks. On the rear the Jim tends to "stick" better in the corners. The Albert will slip out a bit in a very predictable and controllable way I like.

I like the Spider 2.3 tubeless and do not find it bouncy. Mine are currently flat because of blackberry thorns. They show no sidewall or tread damage after being used in the rocks of Fruita and Flagstaff and the roots, logs and slop of Oregon.

Just weighed one of the Neve 2.10 USTs I got at Sea Otter: 806g.
Spider 2.3 Tubeless is ~760g.
Thanks Shiggy.

Given the dry conditions out here, I am actually at this point leaning towards the Python rear and Big Jim up front....I hope that is a logical choice for my new single speed. I want to keep my speed up as well and since I will be running a front shock (ie, not fully rigid where I would want more cushion), perhaps the Spider is overkill.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Thanks Shiggy.

Given the dry conditions out here, I am actually at this point leaning towards the Python rear and Big Jim up front....I hope that is a logical choice for my new single speed. I want to keep my speed up as well and since I will be running a front shock (ie, not fully rigid where I would want more cushion), perhaps the Spider is overkill.

Cheers
The Spider probably isn't overkill. They roll REALLY well. I couldn't believe how much better they rolled than other tires. The more time I put on the Spiders...the better I like them.

G

·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Anybody know where to find 2.3 Spider UST?
BTI & QBP are not showing them and they can't be found on any of the big electronic retailers.
If you don't strike a deal for the used Spiders, Universal Cycles has them for $35.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.