Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried the DT Swiss XRC100 and can you tell me how it performs compared to the other more mainstream forks? I know there's a couple guys using this fork but they haven't said much about it on the boards.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm using the DT Swiss EXC 150 and I LOVE it! Although I've only been out on a few rides so far, I do think the Launch Control works amazingly well. You can lock it out at any height for climbing and when you hit a big bump it goes active. Unfortunately the XRC 100 does not feature launch control, but if you go with the XMC 100, it does. I know you are looking at the XRC100, but I figured I'd give my two cents on the EXC 150 & XMC 100.

Attachments

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
iClique said:
I'm using the DT Swiss XRC 150 and I LOVE it! The launch control which is also on the XRC 100 works amazingly well. You can lock it out at any height for climbing and when you hit a big bump it goes active.
Hmmm... wonder how much the previous poster has actually ridden it since the bike was just completed per his post on another thread? IMO it's a little early to give a fork review isn't it, lol. Plus the fork that the OP's asking about isn't the EXC150; it's the XRC100. The lockout doesn't work quite like you mentioned either on the XRC100. The XRC forks don't have launch control; just a lockout at the top of travel. Only the EXC and XMC forks have launch control FYI. This would be the actual fork the OP is asking about. I hate misinformation. ;) :

I have one and am very pleased with it. I played with the air pressure for quite some time on a handful of rides before finally settling on 135-140 psi to support my roughly 175 lb carcass the rest of the summer and fall. I like the bar-mounted lockout. Between that and the NRS rear suspension it is nearly a hardtail when I want it to be. The rebound adjustment has a very wide range and takes some experimenting with to dial in. I've read where some claim that multiple smaller hits pack it up compression-wise but I have yet to see that. At least on any trails I've ridden thus far. The bike for a very short time had a Reba WC which I loved, but it was a lighter weight build that I wanted and thus sold the Reba. I rode a '99 SID XC on my old XtC DS1 and it probably isn't a fair comparison seeing how far the SID has come since then. All I can say is this: thus far I'm very pleased with the DT fork and have not had a single issue with it. It's stiff enough for me riding hardpack with a fair amount of tree roots on some trails, and any flex present appears to be the steerer tube/crown area as I highly doubt you're going to flex carbon fiber lowers. Hope this helps at least a little!

Edit.... you may try to see what Jeff Kerkove has to say since he's been on a Durin for some time now as a sponsored rider with Topeak/Ergon. He's a fellow Iowa homey too. :)

Edit 2. I guess someone finally visited the DT Swiss website to find out about their fork lineup and what they actually are. Nice edit, lol:
iClique said:
I'm using the DT Swiss EXC 150 and I LOVE it! Although I've only been out on a few rides so far, I do think the Launch Control works amazingly well. You can lock it out at any height for climbing and when you hit a big bump it goes active. Unfortunately the XRC 100 does not feature launch control, but if you go with the XMC 100, it does. I know you are looking at the XRC100, but I figured I'd give my two cents on the EXC 150 & XMC 100.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I can't speak for the DT Swiss front fork.....as I have not ridden it. But I can tell you that the Durin Race and Durin SL are the stiffest and smoothest forks I have ever ridden and raced. I am comparing this to Fox and the Cannondale Lefty.

Last year was my first year on the Magura Durin. As with any new product, I was curious as to how much better it would perform. It is light...and durable. I rarely had to replace air in the air...and never had it serviced. It work straight out of the box.

I am a fan of the Race over the SL. The SL is similar to the Fox platform valving....so it is not as smooth.

Here is the Durin Race 100mm in action on some random forest service road outside Ft Collins, CO....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not exactly single track in that video! Seeing videos like that makes me appreciate swooping through the trees on the trails in Oregon. Sometimes I really hate my how wide my handlebars bar, like I wish you could fold them on the fly. Idea?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
KERKOVEJ said:
I am a fan of the Race over the SL. The SL is similar to the Fox platform valving....so it is not as smooth.
I'm sure knocked out at how the Durin Race 100mm fork smooths out a trail, it quite literally feels like you're in a wheelie all the time, but you can brake and steer. Plenty stiff for steering and braking, even compared to the 100mm SID Team on my other bike, which exhibits a bit more vibration and flex under braking than the 80mm SID Team. The 100mm Durin Race is more supple and smooth riding than the new SID Team at 100mm. I suspect that the SID Team and Durin SL likely feel more similar in terms of damping since both are optimized for race oriented performance.

My Durin Race is part of the early production recall for the fork arches, but I'm sure looking forward to getting it back and getting back on the bike.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
AScott_user said:
Gorgeous bikes and forks. Wish i can afford that. Haha

Anw, any comments about the new 2009 SID fork?
2009 SID Team, light, stiff and well damped. You'd never need the lockout on 80mm travel forks. The 100mm version has noticeably more front/rear flex and vibration under braking than the 80mm version, but still better than the old skinny legged SID and still almost as solid as a F100 Fox.

Easy to tune with the dual air. Not plush, but very well behaved. Like the fork everyone wanted the Reba to be for XC use.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
KERKOVEJ said:
I can't speak for the DT Swiss front fork.....as I have not ridden it. But I can tell you that the Durin Race and Durin SL are the stiffest and smoothest forks I have ever ridden and raced. I am comparing this to Fox and the Cannondale Lefty.

Last year was my first year on the Magura Durin. As with any new product, I was curious as to how much better it would perform. It is light...and durable. I rarely had to replace air in the air...and never had it serviced. It work straight out of the box.

I thought team Ergon Topeak was/is sponsored by Manitou.

·
I'm a cutter
37 Posts
KERKOVEJ said:
Here is the Durin Race 100mm in action on some random forest service road outside Ft Collins, CO....
I love this video! I watch it all the time....great perspective.

I have the Durin SL, great fork.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.