Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did a lot of searching before posting this because I didn't want to be the guy that asks the question that was answered 6 minutes ago in the thread below but the more searching the more I got lost. I'm turning to you guys for some real world advice.

I have a new 2008 Comp DS on the way, couldn't be happier with the setup except just a bit too heavy. I've been reading and the number one thing recommended to make the bike lighter but most importantly "feel lighter" is to lighten the rotational weight. (Wheelset/tires)

Does any one know what the stock wheelset on the 08 Comp DS weighs?

What is a good wheelset upgrade for this bike, mainly for heavy trail riding? BTW I weigh 180lbs.

Any other recommendations for weight loss?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have these on my HT right now and am switching them over to my Elite DS when I get it...

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=719

I really like them and at 1790 grams they're light for the price,When I researched wheelsets I found that if you want anything significantly lighter you'd have to spend a lot more.Pair them up with some Panaracer FireXC Pro tires with the folding bead and you're in business.

G

·
CRed: Is your HT using disc brakes??? I've always been afraid of a 2x with so few spokes, but no real experience. [I've read that the spokes are stressed much more with disc and to use 32 3x]

Great find for the community by the way, good looking wheelset.

G.

·
Registered
700 Posts
****** said:
CRed: Is your HT using disc brakes??? I've always been afraid of a 2x with so few spokes, but no real experience. [I've read that the spokes are stressed much more with disc and to use 32 3x]

Great find for the community by the way, good looking wheelset.

G.
Thanks and it is a pretty nice looking wheelset.

They are built for XC so I wouldn't use them for DH/FR or anything like that,but they should be able to handle some AM.I have disks on the front right now because the rear wasn't disk ready on my frame,but I don't see how having disks will make that much difference.I'm sure it does put more pressure on the hub maybe,but I don't think you should have to worry about the spokes.

Anyways,as mentioned if you want anything lighter you're looking at a $400-$500 wheelset and even then it won't be much or they may even be heavier so they're an excellent deal!

Chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Change the tires and tubes first. My 07 model Elite DS had really heavy tires and tubes. I put IRC Mythos XC on mine with cheap lightweight tubes and saved about 2 pounds. Also if they still come with the Ritchey Severe Conditon bars change those, mine were 440g. The seat is also heavy and to soft. I would actually not change any thing until you ride it for a while then the tires and tubes first.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
What type of riding do you plan on doing? The Vuelta XRP team wheels are great XC wheels that are relatively cheap ($280) and are light ~1600 grams. I liked these wheels so much on my Fly that I bought a pair for my Jamis. They seem pretty darn strong given the lightweight. But I wouldn't do any serious hucking on them.

The bike comes with Speedisc wheels which are probably around 2200 grams a pair.

·
Registered
700 Posts
ljsmith said:
What type of riding do you plan on doing? The Vuelta XRP team wheels are great XC wheels that are relatively cheap ($280) and are light ~1600 grams. I liked these wheels so much on my Fly that I bought a pair for my Jamis. They seem pretty darn strong given the lightweight. But I wouldn't do any serious hucking on them.

The bike comes with Speedisc wheels which are probably around 2200 grams a pair.
Not bad,not bad at all!Yeah those speeddiscs are heavy sonofaguns aren't they?

Couple more suggestions to lower weight.Get a new saddle,like an WTB Race or some kind of Selle Italia.As far as seat posts go,try these out...

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=15283&page=U.S.E.+ALIEN+CYCLOPS+RIGID+SEATPOST

Very light and very nice looking.I have one combined with an San Marco Ti saddle and as a combo they're lighter then most stock saddles or seat posts on their own,385 grams total!

Another cheap upgrade is the stem,I have a Titec Pluto carbon that weights 125 grams.Not a ton lighter the others,but at around $70 another cheap way to save some weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.