Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone commute with there pugs.... I think I'm gonna try it tomorrow morning if I'm not to lazy I hate cold weather lol.....my pugs is set up for a 1x9 and my commute is about 12 miles do you think this is doable or am I asking for trouble?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Without knowing anything about you or the ride it is hard to answer your question. The Pugs should not be a limiting factor. I have commuted a similar distance on a Fatback. Get good lights and wear bright clothes just like any other bike commute.

·
How much does it weigh?
1,169 Posts
I ride 3km to work and back every day Haha.

If I had to ride 10km.. I'd still do it if I had some nice trails to ride on the way there.

On the road though... I'd rather not, just because of the drivers around here. I do about 1.5km of trail on the way to work... which is not bad, the other 1.5km can be frustrating with people in cars who have to pass you just to get to that red light... only for me to pass them again in the bike lane mere seconds later.

It's just one section of road that bothers me on the way to work... no bike lane when I first get on the road... then the next block it's bike lane.. and I always end up passing the people who swerve around me a few moments later when they have to slow down for the red light.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I commute with my Pugs daily in WI. Just make sure you put on some long johns under your skirt and go for it.

Sorry just kidding the Pugs has put life back into cold weather commuting...Enjoy and it's not cold until your eyeballs fog up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i have been commuting to and from work a couple days a week on my Mukluk this winter. Its not fast, but it is comfortable and stable. I must admit my commute is only about 3mi each way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My commute is12.5 miles each way with a 1000 ft climb on the return ride. You'll burn through rubber on the fattie, but it's definitely fun. I'm 160 lbs and use 9-10 psi front and rear and the tires feel rock hard when rolling. You might have to adjust pressure if you're carrying a heavy load or enter races in the Clydesdale class...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am a commuter around Anchorage bowl, don't get to far away from my warm bed :) I like the ride of the Pugs for winter commuting, I do have two wheelsets.

My Pugs came with LM xc rims, and I have found these rims accept more tire sizes than I was aware when I started out,esp my Freddies, I call them my velcro tires for ice. I also have UMA 70's for the trails or when the plows haven't been out yet.

If I commute on the Pugs during the summer I will try Maxxi Hookworms or similar, cheaper that wearing out my endo's .

·
It aint gonna ride itself
585 Posts
I've done about half of my winter commutes on my 907 this year (the other half on my studded tire garage sale mountain bike.) We've had above-average snowfall this year, so the fattie was mostly ridden in the snow. Some days take me out on the lake and through the golf course...

https://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/70902900
Here's what the lake looked like that day:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I've done 30+ miles road / trail rides on the Pugs.
And my 'commute' is usually a 12+ mile mix of bike path and trail in the morning before I get in front of the computer (working from home...)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I did it, it was a blast my commute is all city street's. Made the 12 miles in 55 min not bad for taking almost all winter off of biking but my first race is may 1st so I need to get seat time in. The Pugs is a absolute blast to ride in any condition I have ridden it in I thought I would be more outta shape but not bad LOL... I pumped my tire's up to about 17-18 psi BAD idea I will be dropping them down for the ride home...

·
Registered
85 Posts
gomadtroll said:
I am a commuter around Anchorage bowl, don't get to far away from my warm bed :) I like the ride of the Pugs for winter commuting, I do have two wheelsets.

My Pugs came with LM xc rims, and I have found these rims accept more tire sizes than I was aware when I started out,esp my Freddies, I call them my velcro tires for ice. I also have UMA 70's for the trails or when the plows haven't been out yet.

If I commute on the Pugs during the summer I will try Maxxi Hookworms or similar, cheaper that wearing out my endo's .
gomadtroll, would you mind posting photos of your various tires?

I bought my Mukluk specifically to commute during snow events. My job involves municipal roadway snow removal. After a couple of decades of snow hating I thought it would put a bit more of a positive spin on the weather if I could at least bike to work. Now, nearly at the end of snow season, I am perplexed at being disappointed with our relatively mild winter. I did at least get to commute a few times on the Muk and thoroughly enjoyed it. I worry a bit about tire wear on the asphalt roads on my 13 mile round trip, though.

An unanticipated result of riding my fat bike around my burg is the looks and comments from passersby. Kind of puts me in mind of being a small, fast moving circus.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Zeitlupe said:
gomadtroll, would you mind posting photos of your various tires?
Okay, I compete with cars on the streets so I am pretty conservative, studs and helmet, a hi-vis vest, lots of lights ( generator hubs on the 29er extreme & on the UMA 70) & conspicuity tape (reflective)

I have the 100 front fork . I can run the 29er extreme from my Surly LHT on the front (currently), mostly because it has a generator hub.

Attachments

·
PUG U!!!
192 Posts
I've been pedaling to work on my Pugs for over a year now, and I couldn't be happier!! :D
Although, I do have my Pugs lit up like a x-mas tree!! :eekster:
You wouldn't believe the looks I get at 4:30 a.m. Lol
Better safe that a chalk outline on a city street!! :thumbsup:

Peace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use it for what it is or baby it?

So my fat bike is on order and I await it's arrival. I am also planning for for the winter's northshore fury and how to best keep my committment to year round commuting in Duluth MN. It is a 6 mile, 600 feet drop to work in the dark of the evening, a good climb home in the AM. Travel is mostly 2 and four lane town roads with some bike lanes. Right now my favorite ride to work is my Specialized tricross but as the cold rain and snow approach, I am making other plans.

This was one of the reasons I sold myself on the Mukluk2 and how I rationalized the opening of my wallet in the LBS. However, since making the downpayment and all the anticipation of my new ride, I began to question whether I wanted to be putting my 2k transport through the adversity of duluth snow, rain, salt and grime. I started convincing myself to saving the beast for just the pristine trails and the white and blue of snow and ice of northern minnesota. Dreaming of the Arrowhead 135 etc....

But it is a bike, right? Do you folks favor riding your fattie in the harshness of the urban commute in addition to the trails or do you let it be protected from the ill effects of winter road riding? I am starting to feel I should ride it in all conditions and do the best maintainence I can and savor it's utility. It is a tool for function. I would like to hear from other Fat bike commuters about their views.

Cwolfe

·
PUG U!!!
192 Posts
IMHO, use it for everything!!!
Dont 2nd guess yourself!!
You made the right call, and Enjoy the crap out of it!!!

We here in the northland have winter trails coming out of our you know where!! Lol
You'll chuckle at your self doubt come this winter!!!! ;)

Welcome to the FatBike cult!!!!!

Peace..........

·
It aint gonna ride itself
585 Posts
If you're going to commute by bike in Duluth, you should really check out Doug's blog. He's using a Cross Check and a Pugsley.

Should you baby it? I think so. I'll ride my 907 once in a while (see above) but I've been using mostly garage sale bikes for winter commuting. It usually takes about a season to destroy a drivetrain, but that might be because Madison tends to use a lot of salt...even on the bike paths.

Salted Rear Derailleur
Madison Brass Works

The steel bike I've been using for 6 years might go another season or two before the frame is shot (pretty serious surface rust right now). YMMV, but the math is likely to be pretty simple.

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
I commute on my Pugs most days - it's 4 miles each way and there is a dirt path running parallel to the pavement plus detours on to the beach if I have inclination (usually) and time (more often on the way home than there). A little slower but not enough to matter.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I commute on my Pugs all time time, even in summer! In the winter just keep up with maintenance. I store mine in the garage during the week (it doesnt thaw out in there), then bring it inside on the weekend to thaw out, get wiped down and relubed. Bike still looks new! Take care of it, and it'll take care of you.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts