Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a single speed 29er to use as an all weather commuting bike. I chose that bike because i was thinking there are less parts to get ruined by rain snow or what ever else would get thrown at me. Does that make sense?

Jack

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
on the one hand: yes, fewer parts = less damage . depending on how far you have to go, the terrain to get there, and the speed/amount of effort you want to expend, maybe not. for commuting i like gears, unless it's a shorter distance, that i'll rarely be in a hurry. maybe look into friction shifters for seriously low maintenance gearing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now its only a 2 mile commute. Do you think it would be worth building the bike or buying something like the raleigh cause i really want disks but not all 29ers have them or the mounts for them.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
You should look around the commuting forum.

Do you want a pure commuter bike, with racks and panniers, maybe even fenders? Do you want a cheap bike you cn leave outside and maybe neglect? Or do you want a singlespeed that you can commute on as well?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
For a flat 1 to 25 mile commute, with the odd fly-over, I always loved SS. Get the gear right and the conditions will offer you some variation in workout level and style.
My best times for the various commutes I've done, were mostly on SS bikes. The mental state that spinning brings, seems to help keep the speed up.
Having low gears available to crawl up the fly-overs usually got me lazy and possive about my riding, slow.

I liked 42x16 and 42x17 for use with 29x2.0 and 2.35 slick tires. Between out-of-shape and racing-winning shape, for most wind strengths, that worked out great.

I convinced a few friends to convert their POS commuting MTB's to SS, and they also got to like it a lot. Much lower maintenance. No high-tech parts required. Cheap Shimano 44t ring and $4 forged steel 3/32" DX cog do the trick, for easily a whole year of commuting in foul whether.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Pricepoint has Monocogs for $219 - frame and fork - that would be a solid commuter! You can add what you need for fenders/racks, etc. You can run discs or Vs... and it is fun to ride!
S

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
jcufari said:
I am thinking about getting a single speed 29er to use as an all weather commuting bike. I chose that bike because i was thinking there are less parts to get ruined by rain snow or what ever else would get thrown at me. Does that make sense?

Jack
Yeah, single speeds and fixed gear bikes make a lot of sense for commuting, for sure. The lack of things to break is great. How far is your commute? You might want to not run 2.0 wide 29er tires if you're commuting long distances. I tried running 2.0 big apples on a 44x20 setup on the weekend, for a little trip down to Toronto. It was okay, but I think it would be a bit much to do a long commute somewhere with those tires all the time. I bet 700x32's would probably be where it's at.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I run a SS Karate Monkey as an urban bike and it is perfect. I run 32c flattest proofest tires I can get with a 44x17.

Neat thing is that bike has been a full on Mtn bike with front suspension, a SS mtn bike-rigid and suspended run with discs and now with canits.

You won't find a more versatile or pleasurable bike. Just ask someone who owns one. Or better yet ask the guy who sold his, only to feel the terrible regret and unimaginable mental torture of letting go such a faithful companion!
I bought mine used outa the mtbr classifieds for 150 with all sorts of scratches and dents, but she's still my cherry bike!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
bobbotron said:
Yeah, single speeds and fixed gear bikes make a lot of sense for commuting, for sure. The lack of things to break is great. How far is your commute? You might want to not run 2.0 wide 29er tires if you're commuting long distances. I tried running 2.0 big apples on a 44x20 setup on the weekend, for a little trip down to Toronto. It was okay, but I think it would be a bit much to do a long commute somewhere with those tires all the time. I bet 700x32's would probably be where it's at.
Please offer your arguments for that? Longest road ride of my life was on 2.0 slicks, and I was glad I didn't go narrower. Alpe d'Huez on another ride went fine on fatties too.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I've been commuting year round in Wisconsin for a few years. Discs brakes are nice because you have good stopping in all conditions. SS is low maintenance, but it still has its drawbacks. The freehub is the biggest issue. If you run a WI freewheel you'll probably be fine. I have had freehubs get gunked up easily in all the snow and salt. I've also had problems with the prawls not able to engage when it gets to be -20F. Now I run a fixed gear with a little wider tires, about 35c's (basically whatever I find in the junk piles behind the bike shops). Zero problems. Keep the chain lubed and use a stainless steel drivetrain.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm running a Surly Karate Monkey, fixed with a garment bag pannier and laptop pannier. I also have fenders, blinkies, a cheapo light, etc. It works great for my commute of a similar distance. The gearing is 42x16 and the combo of the heavy bike, rolling hills and fixed gearing make it a good interval workout. My tires are Panaracer commuter tires 700x35 I think.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rig commuter

My GF Rig is my winter XC bike, but:

Right now I have it set up as my commuter with a Bonty Switchblade rigid fork. I use a 44t XT big ring (XT cranks) with a 16 t cog in the back. WTB Pathways, 700x38c are the tires I'm using.
My 17 mile commute (one way) has me on single track that I've made through some woods owned by farmers, gravel roads, and eventually to the bike lanes that take me into town.
It's generally a flat/rolling commute. I try and use this bike twice a week ... switch it up with my road bike the other couple days. I've really been enjoyng this spring on my 29er ss set up this way.
I'm now considering turning my Xcaliber into a geared commuter (It's being replaced by a Dos Niner soon). I've bought a 9 speed Tiagra cassette that should be compatible with my SRAM twisties and then I'm off and running!
I love the versatility of my 29ers. Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I had the same idea, a dedicated 29er commuter. I'm in the process of assembing the parts. I'm starting with a rigid fork, if I don't like it, I'll order a shock fork. 9 speed internal hub, dynamo hub running 12 Watts of LED lighting, fenders, Surly rack, aluminum frame (no rust). Still haven't picked a paint scheme :D

Here's some of the critical components:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
pursuiter said:
I had the same idea, a dedicated 29er commuter. I'm in the process of assembing the parts. I'm starting with a rigid fork, if I don't like it, I'll order a shock fork. 9 speed internal hub, dynamo hub running 12 Watts of LED lighting, fenders, Surly rack, aluminum frame (no rust). Still haven't picked a paint scheme :D

Here's some of the critical components:
Sweet. Been thinking about one of those Moto Outcasts as a commuter as well. Throw on a multi position bar, slicks, rack and panniers, and your ready to go for around $5-600. Keep us posted on your build (with pics once complete).

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Best commuter....

Second to none....

Surly Cross-Check. Does it all. With a set of, what now seems to be discontinued Mutanoraptor 700cc tires, you can do it all. Blacktop, trail, fire road, winter. Fenders, geared, SS, DT shifters. Perfect commuter.

Anyone know where the 700cc Mutano Race can still be found? THE true do-it-all tire.

Discs are great for trail but for road they are way overkill. You only need enough brake to lock up a tire and the tires you'll use on the road won't require discs. Even the Vs I have on my Cross Check are almost too much.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Chester/Rohloff Commuter...

...is another option.

Just put on a set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 700x40. Great tire on the road, pretty good on gravel as well.

This is my current commuter, would be doing it fixed but the BB is way to low to run fixed with the 190mm cranks I use.

Berthoud bag on the back is nice as well, easy access, carries enough.

Wouldn't leave this one chained to the lightpost, though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.