Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I think its about time that we have a thread, sharing our simple tips and tricks, that makes our commuting life a little easier.

I have my bike set up with both racks/panniers - and a handlebar bag. The handlebar bag is always on the bike, and I ride about 50/50 with the panniers, depending on weather and status of changes of clothes at work. The handlebar typical holds bike-lock/tools/battery and lights. -The essential. The hassle of a setup like this; when using the pannier - I prefer to have the handlebar inventory in the pannier - so that I don't leave all my accessories on the bike, while doing groceries on my way home. And the pannier snaps off/on. When not using the pannier, and also using the bike to work meetings around town, I haven't been comfortable leaving the accessories on my bike...

The simple solution to all my logistics trouble, and my commuting tip of today is - a bag in bag solution. Its probably an obvious solutions to all experienced commuters out there, but I had been commuting for quite some time before I saw the solution.

My bike, with the Rockegeist handlebar bag.

My nomad bag-in-bag, that now lives the pannier, handlebar bag, into cafe´s/store and to office/meetings.(This was actually sown by office neighbour how is product developer for a backpack company, but any toilet bag would do:

And the inventory of the bag

What is your great little tips/tricks that makes the commuting life a little easier, more comfortable or efficient?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I used to use the "bag in bag" method too when I was still using a rear pannier bag without any compartments inside. I had a tool bag at the bottom, office clothes on top of that, and then a hip bag with my wallet, keys,etc.

The toolbag is still in use, but I now have an Ortlieb office bag with several pockets inside for everything else.

And in general my best tip is always the Contigo thermal mug, that fits pretty nicely in a standard bottle holder ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The contigo mug looks awesome! Do all the different models fit well in the bottlecage? -and thanks @DrDon for the compliment on the klein/trek:) it is a very pedalefficient frame👍 And together with a strong but lightweight carbon wheelset and the raceking tires, with extremely low rolling resistance i guess, at this point, its my ultimate dream bike, for me being both tall and heavy with multiple back surgeries😍😍

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I made a few pics once and they are still there. It doesnt fit perfectly in terms of shape, but my SKS Topcage bottle holders hold it firmly. I use it on almost every commute for 6 years and it never fell out. I also never dropped it when taking a sip while riding. I usually have something warm in it in the morning, and mostly cold water when it is hot outside on the way home. On very hot days I put a cold drink in it and put in some icecubes, that keeps it cool inside for a while. For how to have coffee along the way there is a dedicated thread somewhere here in the commuting section:

I was thinking that @bedwards1000 woiuld chime in here too. I believe he has so many bikes that he has 1 toolbox but a saddlebag with a spare tube for that specific bike on every bike. You cant take a single tube for both TT and fatbike.

I wonder why no one else chimes in here?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warm coffee on the commute, seems wonderful! I haven't even considered that as an option... @cyclingdutchman I must buy a cup like that, heck I even cycle pass a gas station were I have free refills on a "coffee plan" in the start of my commutes in the morning...
I guess the lack of response and good tips is probably du to Covid-19, and home offices that keeps people from the normal commuting routine?

My next tip of the day, the most cherished investment on my bike, is the PNW Coaster dropper post.

When I initially sat up the bike, I never thought that I would need a dropper... But man.. Cycling in traffic, and all those situations were you need to put your feets to the ground. One morning I almost kicked a fellow commuter when lifting the foot over the seat, to get off... In addition to serve as a dropper, the PNW coaster has built in suspension. Its quite stiff, even for me (about 280lbs), so it doesn't "wobble" when pedalling, and it does not absorb small bumps. But for those bigger bumps its perfect! And with only 120mm drop, I wouldn't use it for my MTB - But for my commuter Ill give it 5 stars any day....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm also a big fan of coffee, especially in the morning before work, I get used to brew coffee in my coffee machine 9 Best Coffee Makers with Timer [Spring 2022] – Detailed Reviews #2 here, because I don't have time to go to a coffee shop on my bike, and I suppose using my own cup (instead of plastic or paper cups) is more environmentally friendly. But I was looking for a cup holder so all the coffee wouldn't be on my shirt by the end of the trip. Thank you @cyclingdutchman for the recommendation! Do you have a link where I can order SKS Topcage bottle holder online?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.