1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
217 Posts
Up I-29 , we had our blizzard last week.
This week , it is just cold . Like right now.
Sioux Falls SD
0 °F / -18 °C
Light Snow Showers
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: -4 °F / -20 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.59 in / 1036 hPa
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2100 ft / 640 m
Scattered Clouds 3500 ft / 1066 m
(Above Ground Level)
Snow Depth: 9.0 in / 22.86 cm

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Madison, WI

Currently, 0 degrees F.
Wind Chill, definitely below zero
About 4-6 inches of accumulated snow over the weekend

Weapon of choice:

1999 Giant Eddie Bauer Comp
Rockshox Jett T2 fork
Bontrager 9 spd crank
8 spd sram cassette
Sram chain
Alivo RD, FD, shifters, levers
Promax V's
Front tire, WTB velociraptor (original tire)
Rear tire, Bonty Connection
Rear & front fender
Wheels? not sure

This bike has like a bazillion miles on it, been thru many winters since '99. Been thru many trails, jumps, drops, crashes and still going strong. A bike I will keep forever.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
yeah, it's cold here in Madison. but supposedly it will warm to ~30f by saturday and early next week. at least the bike paths are clear.

weapon of choice...mine... 1988 Raleigh Tanknuim "Olympian" single speeded.
.............................the wife's..1992ish Bridgestone RB-1 (behind it)

the others are hung up for the winter...

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It was the wrong weapon LOL! :D

I rode the MTB this morning and for the type of snow (dry, fluffy and deep) it was the perfect choice. It was better to float than try to cut through! The disc brakes were especially appreciated after my reminder last night as to why they are an upgrade. My canti's were about worthless.

Ended up with 10" of accumulated snow. It was 5-6 below on my way in this morning.

SUV curling season has officially arrived! :D

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
grrr. been in the single digits here (norhtern colorado) the last couple days. i work nights, and my commuter/crosser is down at the moment. not going to ride my good road bike or mtb in, so........i've been driving. my coworkers are shocked.

i've been getting the question: "wait, you actually own a car???????"

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
scrublover said:
grrr. been in the single digits here (norhtern colorado) the last couple days. i work nights, and my commuter/crosser is down at the moment. not going to ride my good road bike or mtb in, so........i've been driving. my coworkers are shocked.

i've been getting the question: "wait, you actually own a car???????"
LOL I live in Snowmass, and just started a new job in September. I guess the people had never seen my pickup. I got the same question.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Anonymous said:
LOL I live in Snowmass, and just started a new job in September. I guess the people had never seen my pickup. I got the same question.
i'm normally good to ride in into the teens, but once it gets into the single digit territory, i wuss out. body stays fine, but the cold just hurts too much breathing. my commute is only about 3 miles at the shortest, so my car isn't even warmed up much by the time i get here. and in the time it can take to get windows scraped, warmed up abit and so on, i can already be here on the bike.....

i think i only drove half a dozen times last winter. i'm already up to half that this year, damnit!

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,898 Posts
Co workers can be so funny LOL...

I'm riding in the above picks also. Don't you just hate the snow on the sidewalks after the plowtrucks pack the snow? So I got very thoroughly questioned today by one of my coworkers. She simply couldn't understand my riding to work like some kind of crazy loon (which of course I am but snow riding is so much =} ). It was along the lines of...

"So do you own a car?"

--Yes

"Do you have a valid license?"

--Yes

"Is your car working?"

--Yes

"And you actually ride in the snow?"

--Yes

"Do you still remember how to drive?"

--Yes

"So you really can drive legally and everything?"

--Yes

"Wow. You just astonishment me. Do you ride to everything? What about picking up a girl for a date? Do you "pull" up on your bike? (Yes.........LOLOLOLOLOLOL)

--After I got done laughing, no comment.

She pulled up beside me ten minutes after I left work; seems she did to.

"Do you want a ride. It's sucks riding in the snow?"

--NOPE (actually I was thinking [email protected] NO. I'm having fun)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.