Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im writing a paper about commuting, and imlementing a federal program to deal with it balh blah blah.
problem is i cant find any decent info for an oposition. anybody that says that we dont need bike based commuter programs, anybody that has coem out and said that bikes suck to commute on, anybody that talks abotu that stuff.
i found plenty of good info for the pros, but no cons. and i dont want the classic "republicans, becuas they hate everythig good" or "big oil, cause they hate bikes". i already know that, i need articles now :)
anyways, thanks for any help,
keep rolling
joe

· Bike to the Bone...
8,281 Posts
Well, you should also reread your post. You do seem it black & white. Anyway, here's my take.

I think that bikes are an excelent alternative to transportation, but they're not 100% for everybody, everytime. There are many factors that make a bike impractical in a big city. Some factors may be used as excuses, but some are a real reason not to use a bike.

Some people take more than 2 hours (one way) to their jobs, and that's when there's no traffic. Ok, sometimes bike riding can be faster than cars on a rush hour, but sometimes it's just too long.

Another issue is road access. Sometimes there is just no safe way to ride from point A to point B. Some streets are just too narrow, too dark and there's not even the minimum attempt at a sidewalk.

Showers and changing clothes are another issue for businessmen. Maybe if everybody rode on lycra's, you'll start seeing designer lycra's, Giorgio Armani Jerseys, etc.. But as it is, a lot of people would need a place to bath and change to civil clothes. Then you would have riding licences.

Some people won't be able to ride (old people, sick, too young, etc.). Sometimes you do need the space, grocery shopping, bla bla bla.

So I just don't think a bike can totaly take over cars, but it can be a very good alternative to cars to some people most of the time, and some of the time to most people.

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
What he said and also that weather is not always benevolent.

Try conmutting in NYC in december (not that it can't be done but I bet it's not pleasant) or Arizona in July.

There are some other things.... for example, the only thing that keeps me from conmutting is my fear to be run over at night. No, I'm not worried about being visible... I'm worried of the idiots who see you but don't care anyway.

You need the infraestructure to protect bikers from drivers.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and that infrastructure is what im proposing, the whole program includes tax breaks for businesses that acomodate bikers, ie:showwers, dressing rooms, lockers, racks...
new bike lanes, converting car lanes to bike lanes, more racks, tax breaks to bike commuters stuff liek that

and articles with real official names, that way i can use them. off the wall ideas are all around, i have plenty of them, but i need stuff that been written by real people
joe

· Registered
519 Posts
Hey Bunghole....

I'm a Republican and haven't owned a gas powered vehicle in three 1/2 years. I've been bike commuting to work for seven years.

If you are going to write a paper; learn how to form your thoughts. And, to be objective, never start with your conclusion.

As a general lump-em-all-together observation; why are all of you liberals so negative about everything?

And why do you need a federal program for bike commuting? If you are dedicated to all the liberal agenda items; just [email protected] do and stop whining.

joewanderlust said:
hey, im writing a paper about commuting, and imlementing a federal program to deal with it balh blah blah.
problem is i cant find any decent info for an oposition. anybody that says that we dont need bike based commuter programs, anybody that has coem out and said that bikes suck to commute on, anybody that talks abotu that stuff.
i found plenty of good info for the pros, but no cons. and i dont want the classic "republicans, becuas they hate everythig good" or "big oil, cause they hate bikes". i already know that, i need articles now :)
keep rolling
joe

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
joewanderlust said:
and that infrastructure is what im proposing, the whole program includes tax breaks for businesses that acomodate bikers, ie:showwers, dressing rooms, lockers, racks...
new bike lanes, converting car lanes to bike lanes, more racks, tax breaks to bike commuters stuff liek that

and articles with real official names, that way i can use them. off the wall ideas are all around, i have plenty of them, but i need stuff that been written by real people
joe
I swear I'm not a virtual computer generated stuff... :p

I get your point though... I assume you already searched google.

Try with stats that get along with the points exposed by rzozaya and me. Like info of fatalities at night, opinions of drivers on bikers, etc.... You will hardly find anyone defending the Not-use of the bike as it's kind of pointless.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ha, clark man, i was just screwing around, i didnt mean to offend you, jeesh.
the reason i think a program would be nice is that there are so few bike lanes, bike rack, bike friendly facilities, and i know that the majority of the peole are dumb, and wont do anything unless they can save a buck.
and dude, "all us liberals" if you must call me one(which im not) arent negativ,e everybody is negative. liberal, conservative, nhialist, anarchist, cristian, its all a buch o negative jerk holes.
dont lump me please, i was just joking around
joe

· Registered
519 Posts
Joe,

Starting out a thread with idiots mis-spelled was your first mistake. If you are going to ask for help on this board, or help in general, a few suggestions for you to ponder.

Ask nicely. And leave out any negative preconceived notions. You might consider this approach: For those of you that commute by bike regularly, what are some of the obstacles that you have over come. what benefits have you experienced. What sort of improvements could be made to bike lanes, facilities at your place of work etc.

And might ask people that do not commute by bike, but post on this board: what is preventing you from commuting by bike?

Now to provide a reliable source of information you may wish to probe the managers of this site and roadbikereview for the sort of data they use to attact advertisers. Just because info is posted here does not mean it is not, or can not be used in a proposal. What better source than a cycling community that has 40,000 plus thousand visits per day. I made that number up. I would imagine that the managers of this board have that data a click a way.

As far as Ferderal funding for bike lanes, I'd much rather see that money spent on trails. I have yet to ride in bike lanes that are any safer than riding near the curb. I have not seen any benefit to bike lanes. They are just lines on the street that are ignored.

· Banned
5,866 Posts
joewanderlust said:
keep rolling
joe
You're not going to find a specific "anti-bike commute" lobby. You're better off looking at all the factors that tend to leave bikes out of the mix, not through malice, but through simple self-interest. For example, AAA, isn't likely to support a bike path section of a transportation bill if it takes funding from highway maintenance. And even if highway maintenance isn't impacted by bike path funding, it's still not going to be on their agenda.

Bicycle advocates are too weak and scattered to make a real difference when you're talking about multi-billion dollar transportation bills. It's not that people are against it - it's just not on their agendas. Even when it is on the agenda, it's not a high enough priority to avoid getting cut at the negotiating table.

· Registered
11,766 Posts
I'd

Start with accident data. Then go on to how the actions of some plaque the efforts of others, And dont forget to mention that the operational aspect of traffic on city streets doesnt account for bikes while design wise the facility is there...

· Registered
1,592 Posts
"And might ask people that do not commute by bike, but post on this board: what is preventing you from commuting by bike?"

1) Safety of commute. The last two jobs I've worked including this one have simply not had a safe bike route and were in non bike frendly areas. In this point I am mainly dealing with safety sharing the road.

2) Crime. The area I am currently working in is a high crime area or I have to transit an area which is known for armed robberys and gang activity.

3) Distance ~20 miles this job, 12 last job. Possible but not exactly something you want to do then spend a 10-14 hour work day and then redo.

4) Weather. If you don't like the weather wait an hour or two.

5) Facilities to clean up? Mostly NOT avalible or remedial at best.

6) Ability to store the bike at work in a safe location. Last job I took it inside and parked it next to the desk when I brought it in on the rack for an afternoon or evening ride. This job we have a guarded parking lot but I don't trust that too far.

· Ride Instigator
3,230 Posts
joewanderlust said:
keep rolling
joe
Dang Joe...I hope you run that paper through spellcheck before you hand it in :rolleyes:.

· Registered
383 Posts
And!!!!!

The puncuation......wow! Writing a paper trying to imlement (lol) a Federal program and your typing looks like that......good luck.

However, my opinion is: Bicycle commuting should be in the minds of all city planners, not just automobile commuting. Those who oppose it, should not ride a bicycle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.