Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm browsing the other day and run across these:

Nashbar Brake Light



Cyclepro Flashpoint Indicator



Setting aside for the moment brand name and build quality, does anyone out there really think that motorists are paying enough attention to us that the semiotics of a change in light intensity is something they'd pick up on and react to (or trust enough to react to, given that it is coming from a bike)? Let alone the turn signal notion, which I can't recall seeing on a tail light since I was a kid and you could pick up something cheap at KMart which would do this.

Same goes for the trail -- I guess I'm expecting my headlight to give me more info about how fast I'm approaching the bike in front of me than this brake light thingy could do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Had one of those...

when I was about 7-8 years old... don't think it would matter much now. The main thing is to have a very bright light that has a pulse/flash --> that will get people's attention! The VistaLite Total Eclipse is a good option... (hopefully) keeps me from getting hit by semi's when riding in the dark to/from my favorite trailhead. Lots of reflective clothing and a strong HID headlight help you standout too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,688 Posts
Yes,,

hmann_48823 said:
I'm browsing the other day and run across these:

Nashbar Brake Light



Cyclepro Flashpoint Indicator



Setting aside for the moment brand name and build quality, does anyone out there really think that motorists are paying enough attention to us that the semiotics of a change in light intensity is something they'd pick up on and react to (or trust enough to react to, given that it is coming from a bike)? Let alone the turn signal notion, which I can't recall seeing on a tail light since I was a kid and you could pick up something cheap at KMart which would do this.

Same goes for the trail -- I guess I'm expecting my headlight to give me more info about how fast I'm approaching the bike in front of me than this brake light thingy could do.
In some instances ive noticed that they are drawn to it and as a result steer towards it. Kinda like when you stare at something on the trail and end up inadvertenly steering towards it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
agree

I sometimes wonder if my tail light has some sort of hypnotizing effect on cars approaching from the rear - it's why I ride as far to the right as possible when on the road. The other strange phenomena I have encountered all season is that about 25% of the cars the approach me from the opposite direction turn their brights ON when they see me... do these idiots actually think they're helping? When it happens, I flash 'em with my high beam which normally gets my point across.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Big K said:
I sometimes wonder if my tail light has some sort of hypnotizing effect on cars approaching from the rear...

This is why I always use the flashing mode on my rear light. The steady mode makes it look too much like a car light from far away. A blinking light lets the driver know that something other than an automobile is ahead.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
agree

ctxcrossx said:
This is why I always use the flashing mode on my rear light. The steady mode makes it look too much like a car light from far away. A blinking light lets the driver know that something other than an automobile is ahead.

Chris
It was actually on this forum where somebody enlightened me on the flasher concept... I only use that mode now. Nice side benefit is your batteries last about 8 times longer.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top