Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How often do you ride to work, store, etc.

• Neither rain, nor sleet, nor shine or snow will stop me!

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • 99 % of the time weather doesn’t bother me, but sometimes I take the car.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • As long as it’s not raining and the sidewalks have no snow on them.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Nice weather only.

Votes: 8 17.8%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, just for curiosity sakes I was just wondering for those that commute to work via cycle just how often you do that. Does weather affect your decision? How far is you commute? What's the terrain like? (hilly, flat, trails, road?) does doctor appoints and such affect your ride to work?

·
Registered
230 Posts
dedicated but not religious about it...

I generally always ride to the store and for errands around town. Except for my monthly Costco run, for that I take the truck. Maybe I should try doing it with the B.O.B next time...

As for commuting I haven't been doing so hot the last couple weeks, but generally manage 3 or 4 days per week of a 15 mi. commute. The days I don't ride are either 'cause I slept in (I'm definitely *not* a morning person.), or 'cause I've got something planned for after work and don't have the time to ride home (ironically the "something planned" is usually a ride).

Weather in SoCal generally isn't much of a factor, but I'm still not sure what I'll do the next time it rains. The last time I commuted home in the rain I hit a car that didn't see my headlight (it was still light out, I put it on anyway 'cause it was raining) and pulled out directly in front of me. That was no fun. CA drivers are complete morons in anything that resembles "weather" so I'm not sure I'll be willing to brave the rain again on my commute.

-Trevor

·
Banned
824 Posts
cruise

crashedandburned said:
OK, just for curiosity sakes I was just wondering for those that commute to work via cycle just how often you do that. Does weather affect your decision? How far is you commute? What's the terrain like? (hilly, flat, trails, road?) does doctor appoints and such affect your ride to work?
It's only 3 miles, mostly bike path and a nice cruise through downtown. I get to drop down a pretty big hill on the way in, but at 0-dark:30 have to ride back up it. I ride whenever I feel like it, though I haven't missed a commute this year since mid-May.

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
3 times a week...

Or as much as possible. Depends on my work schedule & work loads. I love to ride my bike to work. It makes me start my day right. My commute is around 6 miles w/ some crazy Los Angeles drivers thrown in the mix to add flavor:D It gets crazy when i commute back on a weekend because everyone heads to the beach and I get a lot of the kids yell & laugh at me when they drive by. Ahhh, such is life.......

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If its raining or not raining but the streets are real wet

i usually wont ride and take the bus. But it realy depends on the weather forecasts and daylight hours. Other than questionable weather the only other time i dont ride is to take a rest day..

·
Registered
411 Posts
I commute on week-ends for a 2 hours round-trip, which is about 15 miles one-way. I began 3 months ago and intend to ride year around. A few years back I was commuting for a 40 mn ride, 4 times a week regarding of the weather and did it for 4 years before getting a transfer in another store (I work food retail).
Now a 1/3 of the commute in the streets but at 5:30 am I don't see a lot of people! The other 2/3 is along a canal, on a paved multi-use trail that is about 40-45 miles long.

·
Wolf nipple chips
504 Posts
another question...

what bikes do you guys use when commuting? obviously a road bike is the most efficient and comfortable, but do you all have a commuting-specific bike that is really inexpensive, or do you ride your nice road bike and lock it in your office? i am curious as to what types of bike people use, and how they store them.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
crashedandburned said:
Like most polls, there is no response that accurately reflects my situation. I bike commute 99.999% of the time. HOWEVER, I only ride a few blocks. I carpool into downtown with my wife and son, park the car in the parking garage near the daycare, and ride the rest of the way (only seven blocks). Once the boy's in regular school, I hope to start biking the whole way - around 10 miles each way.

To answer someone else's question, I ride a frankenbike I built up from a $30.00 Nashbar clearance MTB steel frame and a bunch of spare components I had lying around.

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
my commute is..

I ride in every weather - I do not own a car, so I don't have a way to back out.

My commute, at its shortest is 6.75 miles one way (uphill on the way there, down on the way home). I usually take the short way in the morning. In winter, I take the short course both ways, in summer I meander and the ride home can be anywhere from 7-10 miles.

For a long time, I was commuting entrirely on my full suspension scwhinn mesa, but then I'd switch back and forth to my raleigh SS road bike (garbage pick bike). Once in while I' ll ride the Redline Dually, but it's more set up for urban/jumping than urban/cruising.

In light of my forthcoming trip to st geroge, i've riding the DBR XTX3 to work and back, to get used to it, and to get in shape. That bike is unlawfully heavy, but it's getting easier finally....

But if f I'm just going the carryout or gas station for supplies, I'll take the 93 Kona Hahannah, that I finally re-built and converted to single speed. Speaking of that, anyone else commuting with 2:1 ratio? do you find it too easy?

I'm running 34-17 and while it's keen on the uphill, I spin out at about 21mph going downhill. if I sit and pedal in a circle, I might get 24 or 25, but that on a good day. This is on the mtb ss, by the way...

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Cabin Fever said:
what bikes do you guys use when commuting? obviously a road bike is the most efficient and comfortable, but do you all have a commuting-specific bike that is really inexpensive, or do you ride your nice road bike and lock it in your office? i am curious as to what types of bike people use, and how they store them.
I have a 10 - 12km ride, depending on route, and I ride most days all year round, and it gets figgin cold here - sometimes -20deg. cel or colder. if there's real cold (~-20 or colder) for an extended period of time and I take a couple days off so I don't get pnuemonia(sp?) or something. I'm sure there a a lot of people who look at that as being a puss-out, but a whole lot more that think anything like that is both crazy and impossible.

When I can't be bothered to suffer any more I take the bus or stay home. The car is for places we take the baby.

My bike is* a Frankenbike(nice term:)) - VeloSport 10sp frame with 27" wheels swapped out for 700c for better tire clearance; bmx freewheel and no derailleurs, painted wih blue Tremclad rust paint (very shabby flame job) and the word "RUSTY" written down the side with vynil letters, full fenders, brackets for lights that no longer exist.

*My bike was - my bike was stolen!!! from in front of my building three weeks ago.

I will be doing the ride this winter with my old Cyclops (Canadian custom builder of decades past) with fenders and a rack. I just got a new really nice packsack with a vented suspension system to hold it off my back, but I am thinking about getting panniers.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
weekend mornings..

VTT said:
I commute on week-ends for a 2 hours round-trip, which is about 15 miles one-way. I began 3 months ago and intend to ride year around. A few years back I was commuting for a 40 mn ride, 4 times a week regarding of the weather and did it for 4 years before getting a transfer in another store (I work food retail).
Now a 1/3 of the commute in the streets but at 5:30 am I don't see a lot of people! The other 2/3 is along a canal, on a paved multi-use trail that is about 40-45 miles long.
Have got to safer except for maybe an overnight drunk of two. For weekend road rides i like to roll out as early as i can. The streets are so peaceful....

·
Registered
402 Posts
When it gets stoopid cold and you have to ride, I found that wearing a fleece neck/face warmer worked great. The trick to avoiding pneumonia is to pre-heat the air you breathe in (so I was told anyway) so breathing into the fleece, then getting a warm air back in seemed to work really well. Also hurt my throat alot less. ;)

And it never gets 'cold' here, only -5 celcius. About 10F. But it's wet cold. Sucks the heat straight out of you. Which explains why I wear a goose down jacket, fleece hat and neck/face thingy, thick trousers, wool socks and boots and thick gloves and still don't overheat. In fact, it's quite nice to be able to push really hard and not begin to cook.

Oh yes. Ice and man hole covers are not nice... ;)

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
jhazard said:
I ride in every weather - I do not own a car, so I don't have a way to back out.

My commute, at its shortest is 6.75 miles one way (uphill on the way there, down on the way home). I usually take the short way in the morning. In winter, I take the short course both ways, in summer I meander and the ride home can be anywhere from 7-10 miles.

For a long time, I was commuting entrirely on my full suspension scwhinn mesa, but then I'd switch back and forth to my raleigh SS road bike (garbage pick bike). Once in while I' ll ride the Redline Dually, but it's more set up for urban/jumping than urban/cruising.

In light of my forthcoming trip to st geroge, i've riding the DBR XTX3 to work and back, to get used to it, and to get in shape. That bike is unlawfully heavy, but it's getting easier finally....

But if f I'm just going the carryout or gas station for supplies, I'll take the 93 Kona Hahannah, that I finally re-built and converted to single speed. Speaking of that, anyone else commuting with 2:1 ratio? do you find it too easy?

I'm running 34-17 and while it's keen on the uphill, I spin out at about 21mph going downhill. if I sit and pedal in a circle, I might get 24 or 25, but that on a good day. This is on the mtb ss, by the way...
Depending on terrain, you might consider going fixed at 34x16 or 34x15. Fixed commuting is a great way to improve your overall efficiency and pedaling skill.

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Depending on terrain, you might consider going fixed at 34x16 or 34x15. Fixed commuting is a great way to improve your overall efficiency and pedaling skill.
I will note those gears... my next project (over winter) will be a fixie. The Raleigh is about dead, but has decent enough parts to transplant... Thanks !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do a split

I have a 25 mile one way commute, so I'll drive in with the bike on Monday morning, then ride home Monday afternoon. Ride in Tuesday morning, drive home Tuesday afternoon. Then I do it again Thursday/Friday.

Works well for me.

·
Registered
520 Posts
clarkgriswald

I don't own a car. So I commute everyday. I now live about 10 miles form work. Last winter the commute was only four miles. Not sure if I'll try to commute everyday this coming winter though. Unplowed snow more than four inches deep is bear to ride through. My primary commuter is a Titus Quasi-moto. I do ride my road bike when the Quasi is in the shop. I lock either one to a light pole near one of our entries to the building. Been crless for close to three years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been bad this year

I usually commute 3-4 times/wk April/May - Oct/Nov (here in N. VT); 25mi round trip, mostly busy 2 lane road through a couple of town centers. Traffic not too fast. I have a carpooling out that I"ve been leaning on a lot this year.

I use 1 of 3 road bikes: a Cannondale Cadd 4, usually if I'm running late: an old Fuji sport tourer fixed gear with fenders for wet days; and an old Team Panasonic fixed gear the rest of the time.

When we switch the clocks back to EST, I use a NiteRider system with tail light. These things are amazing - you can't ride behind them - they're blinding. Drivers give me more room at night than during the day. I've had a number of strangers actually stop or slow down and roll down the window to tell me how amazing the tail light is. Spendy, but worth it to me.

Barry

·
Registered
125 Posts
the options on the poll don't really seem to classify me (too extreme) so I'll just mention my bike commuting experience:

got a new job in mar of this year, started bike commuting on a old 21 speed mountain bike from college (slow, lol, I can't do better than like 17 mph on the flats working pretty hard and I'm in decent shape), and I've been commuting since June, about 3 or 4 times a week.

I wouldn't dream of riding in the rain due to the greater chance of a mishap with a car. I also play softball or have errands to run that necessitate I take my truck or mustang.

nobody asked but it's just under 8 miles each way, and doesn't take quite 30 minutes with several traffic lights that can exceed 2 minutes each. Commuting via freeway can be about 16 minutes ideally, or 30-40 minutes worst case. Taking surface streets is around 20 minutes.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I ride my 12 km commute unless the temp is below -15 C (about 5 F). I have 2 old Norco MTB's set up with fenders and racks and have a set of studded tires for snow work. I use panniers to carry my stuff. In spring, summer and fall I also ride my road bike or mountain bike using a sports bag on my back (messanger bag style) to carry my stuff, depending on if we're roading after work or going MTB'ing. I just picked up an old VeloSport touring bike and have been using it the past week or so. Still not sure about riding it all the time, I think the MTB's are better for me.
One thing about winter riding, it sure beats the crap out of the running gear of your bike. It gets all crudded up with sand and salt. It's a good idea to rinse it off every day if you can.
I don't go overboard on clothing, breathable water proof stuff and GoreTex are what you need for both cold and wet days.

·
dolce
81 Posts
missed 3 days last year

and walked in. Takes about 10 minutes to ride in and 30 minutes to walk in. In 10 years of commuting I've gone thru 3 bikes, generally the road salt eats/welds everything into a fine mess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts