Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time to buy new tires for the steed, but I have a bit of a dilemma. Eventually I am going to buy another bike for downhill/AM and make the current one into a daily commuter and light duty XC bike (Bike: 1997 Schwinn Moab 2). This bike will have to serve my MTB needs until the winter and then it will become a dedicated commuter with a mix of urban trails and street riding expected.

I need a tire that has a low rolling resistance but still affords some grip on the trails. What do the tire gods of MTBR recommend?

Thanks
Shorty

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wish I could offer a tried-and-true solution, but I can say I'm doing the same calculus (although more like 60-40 trails/commute ratio with moderate rather than light trail use) and have read many threads here. Based on those recs, I'm considering something like a Conti Vert Pro, WTB Mutano, or Kenda Blue Groove up front and a Specialized Roll X (a 70a, with up to 80 psi for commuter use) or Maxxis Crossmark in back. Might also consider Specialized Resolution in front and Roll X in back. Finally, if budget allows, I might even try a Schwalbe Nobby Nic up front, although not sure about wear, especially if going all-commuter with it later this year.

In any event, you might check those possibilities out and see what you think. Maybe at least replying and bumping your thread up will get some other responses. Good luck and take care.

·
Lurker
192 Posts
What tires do you use? Iam looking for something that i can commute to work with and then hit the trails after (med-light) with out having to switch tires

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right now I am still using one of the stock tires and a hand me down Kenda. I have never really purchased tires for a bike as I have the attitude of "rubber stays down + air stays in = tires ok" but I have noticed the rolling resistance lately between under-inflated tires and properly inflated ones and thus extrapolate that I will notice the difference with proper tires for the application.

Anyway, thanks for the input and I will look into those tires mentioned.

shorty

·
almost there!
341 Posts
get the Hutchinson Python, these tires are good for riding on the road, and a lot of people race these tires when the course is dry

and they are cushy, the tire when mounted is 2" wide and 2" tall, unlike a lot of other 2.0 tires, so this tire absorbs the small bumps really well, and they are light.

I use them on my commuter bike, which I also use to hit the trails with too.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'll 3rd the python airlights. they do wear a bit fast on pavement, but that's gonna be true of pretty much any tire like this that you're looking at. They're also very light for their high volume. I haven't tried the newer style.

I've also used some ritchey & bontrager semi-slicks in the past that held up well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.