Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Great suggestion by tanen but I use and highly recommend Performance's Illuminite Commuter jacket. I scooped it up for 70.00 and it's been worth every penny. It came in red, blue and Hi-Vis yellow. I don't see it on the website right now so hopefully they haven't discontinued it.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been somewhat shocked to see that many of these jackets at REI average over $100, even the REI branded one. I'd assume that in order to get the breathability factor that jump must be made: from a $30 jacket to a $100 one?

·
Registered
173 Posts
You sir, are correct in your observations. However, if you really dig around the internet sites like Ebay, you could score a very nice jacket without paying the retail price. Jag410's find is good testament.

·
Wierdo
3,183 Posts
Here in the wet northwest, Showers Pass is a popular choice. I like the Double Century because it's lightweight, but at the same time it has good waterproof and breathability characteristics. If you ever go to a randonneur event, you'll see Showers Pass jackets everywhere. Expensive, but if you ride a lot, worth it. I've got three years and hundreds of rides on my Double Century and it's still going strong.

www.showerspass.com

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
abmtnbkr said:
You sir, are correct in your observations. However, if you really dig around the internet sites like Ebay, you could score a very nice jacket without paying the retail price. Jag410's find is good testament.
Mine still had the tags with it, it was a $120 jacket when new. There are plenty of cycling jackets on ebay, but also check craigslist, local bike swaps, and various bike forums. Chainlove and bonktown have deals too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here in the not-quite-super-wet Northeast, I love my Gore Cross jacket. The Paclite material is fantastically wind and waterproof, but without zips is not terribly breathable. As its name suggests, it packs down so small that I leave it in my pannier literally every day - rain/sun/etc. I'll opt for a windproof/breathable jacket or vest most of the time, but on days when it's raining and <45f, I loooove this jacket.

That said, I don't wear a rain jacket every day - so in the last year of ownership, I've only worn it maybe 30 or 40 days. Durability seems good, but no can say.

I also owned an older Nashbar Premium Rain jacket - it fit like a trash bag, and felt like some seriously old technology - like a CB sports ski jacket from the 70's, or the team-issued warmup jackets from my high school track team. The mesh netting on the inside catches on your hands/jersey when you put it on...ugh. I bought one and wore it roughly ZERO times before sending it back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.