Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a favorite bag? I am leaning toward a pack style intead of a bag. It is important to carry a laptop, clothes and little else.

Thanks for any insight.

Enjoy your Sat.

Craig

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
I have had a Large Timbuk bag for ten years, and another one before that. (It got so grimy, my wife retired it. It would still be fine after a trip through the washer.) They are great bags. I use it 5-6 times a week.

Best part is, I got to pick the colors and I went with orange / blue (think Eddy Merckx) for this one. Looks cool. If it's raining I have to put stuff that has to stay dry in zip-loc bags, because some rain can get in the corners. That's only if it's pissing rain.

Morgan

·
Registered
406 Posts
two messengers for laptops.
first was a timbuk2 commute xl (for laptops). got a good deal at powermax.com. high quality; no complaints.
also got a crumpler horseman (crumplerbags.com). i think the quality is even better than the timbuk2, but its expensive. its a unique bag. i think ebay is your best bet for prices on those.
ive had some cheap bags. they kinda fell apart after a while. and i didnt trust them for my laptop.
if you can get around price, id recommend crumpler.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
I got this one. http://www.chromebags.com/metropolis.php I go to work with my lunch and big Stanley thermos and after work I change out of my work clothes ( i have a dirty job) into my skool clothes and go to school. So I recommend this bag. It fits my lunch, thermos, laptop, a change of clothes, and my skool books plus other knick-knacks and it fits perfect, no back pain what-so-ever. Plus it is made in the good ol USA.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Bailey Works
Awesome bag, and the lady that helped me pick mine out is one of the two who actually makes them! :thumbsup:
**link**
I have a medium 253, I carry my widescreen laptop, half size sets of construction drawings, files, nalgene bottle, etc. on a typical day.
-dan

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well it may not be as cool as a messenger bag, but I use an old school backpack from REI with a small case to cover the laptop. Not sure about anyone else but the fit of a backpack seems more comfortable to me, especially when adding extra miles to the commute. Messenger bags always seem to move to much for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Commuter bags

I was a messenger for a number of years and used both a backpack and a Timbuk2 Tag Junkie w/ a couple of custom modifications. After my messenger years passed I continued to commute with various packs. What follows are a few of my impressions.

Messenger bags are fantastic for the job. They are easy to access and adapt to a different package sizes; simple and durable. The down side is that the weight is distributed over the hips and only one shoulder. For a while, I was a "bulk" messenger and carried lots of hearvy/abnormally size objects. It was particularly fun, but it was tough on the weight-bearing shoulder. You can switch shoulders, but this felt awkward and uncoordinated. The messenger bag was less useful for commuting. Pack the bag, ride to work, and unpack. There's less need to get access the bag frequently.

I've used multiple backpacks. One from REI took an incredible beating, and REI replaced the zippers and some straps for free. Now that bag is almost see-though, but it served my commuting needs well. Having two straps and a padded back made it very comfortable for hauling a combination of lunch/clothes (sometimes w/ additional shoes)/computer. Backpacks leave your back sweatier, but you could get something fancy from Deuter to almost alleviate this problem. I use one of their smaller packs when I don't have so much to carry. Its super comfortable.

Finally, I'd like to endorse the best messenger/backpack company in the world. Its not an opinion. Its fact. Check out www.reloadbags.com. They have stores in Philly and Seattle. They built a super backpack for me, and I can't say enough about the bag or their service. Nice folks, too.

Hope this helps. Now that I look back on how much I wrote, it makes me think maybe I've spent too much time thinking about this topic. Still, there were many years of work/riding to provide some experience.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bags

so after several months I can give you my feedback. I bought a Patagonia 1/2 mass bag. Got a good deal on it from a friend.

It is not my favorite piece of Patagonia stuff, but I like it.

When I leave my laptop at work I carry my clothes in a Golite 24. Otherwise I use my 1/2 mass.

Now that said I have screwed up and left both bags at work, and needed, wanted to ride to work the next day with out work clothes there. I borrowed my son's bag. He / my wife has a green Sherpani bag. Now maybe it is lighter because no laptop, but I love it! If I was a chic or I didn't work at a high school this would be my everyday bag!

Nice work Sherpani!

Craig

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use an Osprey Transit, the largest of their messenger bags. It's got a waterproof zipper, laptop sleeve, enough extra pockets, two spots to slap a blinkie on, and is semi-rigid which means that clothes stay somewhat un-wrinkled. Interior is light colored so you can see what you're lookin' for. Comfy straps, hasn't been overly hot against my back. Pretty sure they also make something every similar in a backpack variant.

·
Registered
540 Posts
During my 20+ months of being a low-paid pack mule:

** R.E. Load - best made bags out there. Custom stuff. The price was waaaayyy to rich for my blood.
** BaileyWorks - My favorite, but again could never afford one when I needed one.
** Chrome - Great bag and now it is the "It" bag for hippsters.
** Timbuk2 - It's the best bang, or bag for the buck.

Crumpler is an Aussie brand that is also great. You can find them on clearance at: www.reioutlet.com

Myself, I have a Kelty backpack that is 15yrs old that works great. I think the model is the Ricochet?? I also have a 14yr old Timbuk2 Classic Large. It's still going strong and I think it originally cost me $65.

My laptop has a neoprene sleeve.

·
my fun has a hurting
658 Posts
LOOOOOOVE my timbuk2 extra larges.

one is from back in the day when i was a messenger so its pretty beat up and has a few holes at the corners (wear it outside rain or shine all day every day year round in the northeast for 10 years and it will happen) i decided to retire it and got a new custom bag last year. i was amazed at how many changes they have made, large and small to what seems like such a simple design. one big change is that there is a large zip up internal pocket that will hold up to a 15" laptop perfectly. it also has to open pockets sewn inside the large zip up that are just right for a mouse and power brick. with the extra large i can carry everything i need to go on an epic ride(tools tubes pump rain gear arm/leg warmers glasses phone), design/build a website, a couple changes of clothes, my locks, some snacks, and still have room to buy groceries for the week on my way home.

i could not survive without that bag!

chrome bags are really nice as well but that seat belt buckle thing sits in exactly the wrong spot on my chest and it drives me nuts...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.