Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I bought a new commuting backpack - the Eddie Bauer bacon (mmmmm bacon)

Bacon Pack | First Ascent

The pack is light, but the material seems so thin, as do the straps and whatnot.......a search of the web suggests the material is rip resistant, but I was unable to find the thoughts of long term users.....it would be nice if the pack had a few more pockets.

Anyone got any commuting pack suggestions (I am not putting panniers on my bike).

This pack looked like it might fit my needs....

Oakley Snowmad 30 Backpack | Official Oakley Store | Canada

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Neither of those links work. My take on backpacks: they often cause large blind spots when looking over a shoulder to check traffic, etc. The packs from Osprey are fairly low profile, but still have issues when fully loaded.

Depending on your bike, a front rack may suit your needs. Have you looked into porteur racks and bags? Carrying a load on the front of a bike is more stable and causes less damage to the frame than rear panniers.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I set the thread up using my ipad - i apparently need to hone my skills with respect to copying links.....

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
last night I loaded up the Bacon with the stuff I'd typically be carrying on my way home and if I packed somewhat carefully, I'd have enough room for my lunch.

Pack was much lighter than my old one. I guess what is not sitting well with me is the seemingly flimsy fabric and thin straps. I'd sure like to get a first hand look at that Oakley pack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts