Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '90 KHS out on the trails 3 or 4 times now and each time i've had multiple people ask about it and tell me they really like it. I think the draw is that it's obviously old but also bright blue, yellow, and pink. People seem to really love this thing!

Anyway, do others get comments on their VRC bikes? Good stories?

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
I was talking to some dirt jumper type guys at the trail head a few weeks ago, and they couldn't believe I was riding a bike on the trails with no suspension at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yes - I've been out on my Saracen Kili Flyer a few times and every time somebody has asked me about it. It's an orange frame (853 tubing) with green rigid forks, singlespeed. Quite distinctive, especially with those hips.

This was an early incarnation with leftover bits - much better now (and with a taughter chain!).

·
He be a moose too.
2,173 Posts
IF52 said:
I got the finger from somebody today while taking a spin around the neighborhood on the Fat
Yesterday while on my '96 Klein, someone nearly ran me over and I caught up to them at a stoplight and said, "You passed me with only a foot to spare, that's way too close for safety." He then started *****ing at me, typical "get off the road" garbage. I just said, "Look, if you ever got out of your car....you might not have such a fat ass." Light turned green and I was off.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
People don't usually notice the subtle vintage. The all black P-23 or the Potts with no decals. They don't realize.

Now the Slingshot or the bright yellow GT with purple ano and Tension Disk...lots of looks and questions. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
my brodie gets lots of comments, especially about how people wanted one back in the day.

I really need to get a real ghetto machine for city riding.

My dekerf get comments too, especially since it is a 21 inch and looks even bigger.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
I think also it depends on where you live. There really wasn't a huge mtn biking community in this area when I lived in Cleveland in 1990. I think I can count all the people I ever saw on the trails on both hands for the entire year, and they were usually with me. Maybe that many more folks who claimed to ride trails came through the shop I worked in at the time. People did buy a few mtn bikes, but for street use in the neighborhoods. SO, the point is that not many folks would have a clue about what they are looking at around here.

This point is reinforced every time I try and buy parts at my LBS. When they ask what I am working on, they usually give me a blank stare when I reply. The one exception what a couple weeks ago when the owner of Eddy's Bike Shop seemed to be getting a nostagic rush when I mentioned that I mostly work on older bike and described some of my projects. He got all smiley and shook my hand when I was done ringing up my purchase.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
muddybuddy said:
Depends which finger.:thumbsup:
Hey, I didn't think about that. Maybe he thought I am #1.

No, it was a guy who almost ran me over as he started to blow through a stop sign at a 2 way stop. I glared at him, since I had the right of way and he almost hit me. He went around the block and came back by and gave me the finger.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Rumpfy said:
People don't usually notice the subtle vintage. The all black P-23 or the Potts with no decals. They don't realize.

Now the Slingshot or the bright yellow GT with purple ano and Tension Disk...lots of looks and questions. :D
Today I stopped in to an unfamiliar LBS to look around while riding my "shabby" Sling and the kid that was working the counter freaked. "Woah! Check this sh!t out Fred! What the eff is that thing man?" I thought it was kind of weird for a bike shop, especially in Michigan.

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
The only comments I get are, "WhoTF?" when I pass them. Most of my bikes are a dark color and missing decals so as far as they know they just got trumped by a Huffy. MY yeti fro has a 1950-60s Columbia head badge. I think it has the bullseye hub decals too but other than that. Plane jane. UNless someone has a set of 91 fro decals......

My favorite wtf moment was when I passed some dudes on their full sus. rigs flying down a fire road on my cbr cruiser. Good thing they did not see me trying to get that pig to the top though.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
jacdykema said:
Today I stopped in to an unfamiliar LBS to look around while riding my "shabby" Sling and the kid that was working the counter freaked. "Woah! Check this sh!t out Fred! What the eff is that thing man?" I thought it was kind of weird for a bike shop, especially in Michigan.
No bike shop in Michigan should have to ask what a Slingshot is. Shame on them. :p

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
ckevlar said:
My favorite wtf moment was when I passed some dudes on their full sus. rigs flying down a fire road on my cbr cruiser. Good thing they did not see me trying to get that pig to the top though.
Thats the best. Passing fullys on not only a full rigid bike...but one that is decades older. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.