Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have purchased the frame and hubs at this point. The following is what I am currently planning to place a complete order for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in terms of parts and/or colors, etc.

frame = Phil Wood SS (blue) w/ EBB
cranks = Race Face Atlas (Silver) w/ SS ring
fork = Fox F80X
hubs = Phil Wood Disc (blue) with quick release
rims = Mavic XM819 or DT Swiss XR4.1d
brakes = Hope M2
freewheel = ENO
chain = Wipperman 152
pedals = Shimano 959
seat = WTB Laser V Stealth
seatpost = Thomson (Silver)
stem = Thomson (Silver)
bars = Azonic Double Wall Riser (Polished)
grips = ODI Lock-on
headset = King (Silver)
tires = Blue Groove / Nevegal
seatpost clamp = Hope (Silver)
skewers = Hope (Silver)

And just maybe......Dangerboy levers and braided cables.

Thanks in advance!

FoShizzle
 

·
"Mr. Britannica"
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
FoShizzle said:
I have purchased the frame and hubs at this point. The following is what I am currently planning to place a complete order for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in terms of parts and/or colors, etc.

frame = Phil Wood SS (blue) w/ EBB
cranks = Race Face Atlas (Silver) w/ SS ring
fork = Fox F80X
hubs = Phil Wood Disc (blue) with quick release
rims = Mavic XM819 or DT Swiss XR4.1d
fork = Fox F80X
brakes = Hope M2
freewheel = ENO
chain = Wipperman 152
pedals = Shimano 959
seat = WTB Laser V Stealth
seatpost = Thomson (Silver)
stem = Thomson (Silver)
bars = Azonic Double Wall Riser (Polished)
grips = ODI Lock-on
headset = King (Silver)
tires = Blue Groove / Nevegal
seatpost clamp = Hope (Silver)
skewers = Hope (Silver)

And just maybe......Dangerboy levers and braided cables.

Thanks in advance!

FoShizzle
just pull the trigger already
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
roadiegonebad said:
just pull the trigger already
well....I thought I would ask the pros after all, this is a single speed forum and it is the last cash I will be using for a long, long time so i just want to do it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
FoShizzle said:
I have purchased the frame and hubs at this point. The following is what I am currently planning to place a complete order for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in terms of parts and/or colors, etc.

frame = Phil Wood SS (blue) w/ EBB
cranks = Race Face Atlas (Silver) w/ SS ring
fork = Fox F80X
hubs = Phil Wood Disc (blue) with quick release
rims = Mavic XM819 or DT Swiss XR4.1d
brakes = Hope M2
freewheel = ENO
chain = Wipperman 152
pedals = Shimano 959
seat = WTB Laser V Stealth
seatpost = Thomson (Silver)
stem = Thomson (Silver)
bars = Azonic Double Wall Riser (Polished)
grips = ODI Lock-on
headset = King (Silver)
tires = Blue Groove / Nevegal
seatpost clamp = Hope (Silver)
skewers = Hope (Silver)

And just maybe......Dangerboy levers and braided cables.

Thanks in advance!

FoShizzle
Gearing? Camarillo needs 42x16.
Colors? Anything but pink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,106 Posts
I've always had good luck with Mavic's so I'd lean that way.......

Do those braided lines you're considering have a protective cover on them? I'd be sure they do or that purdy P.W frame will be ate up quick.

Post some pic's when you get that bad boy built up & welcome to the club!!!!! :D
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DMFT said:
I've always had good luck with Mavic's so I'd lean that way.......

Do those braided lines you're considering have a protective cover on them? I'd be sure they do or that purdy P.W frame will be ate up quick.

Post some pic's when you get that bad boy built up & welcome to the club!!!!! :D
Thanks for that note. Forget the braided lines...that is just silly when i think about it. Perhaps the Dangerboy levers though.

Thanks for the welcome to the club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,106 Posts
No sweat!

- I think you'll be pretty stoked on your new rig.
My Phil SS is my 1st steel bike out of dozens of bikes I've had over the years and
I can't think of a better feeling, more predictable handling bike, it's telepathic I swear :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Foshizzle

I would consider the goodridge lines, I installed a pair on my juicys that larry sent me:
They do have a nice coating on them to protect the frame, easy to install and performance is a little better. Plus you dont have to mess with the olives anymore......

I went with the carbon, but I think you can get red or black as well.

Good luck with the build, I would go with the 819 rim too, worth the wait....
 

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
that sounds like a nice ride!
i would go with a cassette freehub style wheel with the EBB, but i understand that you are going with the PW theme... you can still get a PW hub with a freehub.
i find changing thread on freewheels very difficult, so i never do it. i switch gearing at the chainring, which is also such a pain that i almost never do it. maybe once a year for a long endurance event. maybe.
cassette style, on the other hand, is so easy. and you can get nice boone cogs!

just my opinion.

that frame is super nice. a guy at a campsite near ours for a 24 hour race had a yellow PW SS and it was swift. he passed me on a morning lap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
cranks

Atlas cranks are considered "all-mountain" and are therefore somewhat burlier than what you likely need.
I would suggest the Deus cranks instead. They are lighter and very nearly as strong (certainly stong enought for trail riding on a SS).

I have both... Deus on the SS and an Atlas on the FR rig.

My $0.02
 

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
Joined
·
1,709 Posts
i'm with jh!

jh_on_the_cape said:
that sounds like a nice ride!
i would go with a cassette freehub style wheel with the EBB, but i understand that you are going with the PW theme... you can still get a PW hub with a freehub.
i find changing thread on freewheels very difficult, so i never do it. i switch gearing at the chainring, which is also such a pain that i almost never do it. maybe once a year for a long endurance event. maybe.
cassette style, on the other hand, is so easy. and you can get nice boone cogs!
or, for the price of one Boone, you can get 2 sizes of Endless Kick Ass Kogs. super good stuff.
i wouldn't ever want to deal with removing a freewheel again, even if it is as nice as the ENO.

the cranks are burly- did you consider the Deus (as mentioned elsewhere)?
the blue and silver sceme is right on. who cares what's "in"... if you love it, do it. color is so subjective anyway.
how bout an H-bar by the inimitable Mr. Jones?! :cool:

can't wait to see it built!
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for the great advice.....I am now glad I posted.

As far as the hubs, I did not think the Phil Woods came in other than freewheel version. I am more than happy with that as the hubs were part of the package.

Also, thanks for the advice regarding wheels...I will wait till the 819s come in.

I now only need to finalize the crankset.

Cheers and thanks again
 

·
A hopped on pop.
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
OneGearGuy said:
or, for the price of one Boone, you can get 2 sizes of Endless Kick Ass Kogs. super good stuff.
i wouldn't ever want to deal with removing a freewheel again, even if it is as nice as the ENO.

the cranks are burly- did you consider the Deus (as mentioned elsewhere)?
the blue and silver sceme is right on. who cares what's "in"... if you love it, do it. color is so subjective anyway.
how bout an H-bar by the inimitable Mr. Jones?! :cool:

can't wait to see it built!
i agree with jh and one gear guy...

eric, try to GO WITH A CASSETTE STYLE HUB from pw. you can get two endless cogs and maybe sandwich a spacer in between or just run a single cog like a majority of us do.

if you do frequent gear changes, look at the dos eno freewheel.

the other thing i'd change in your specs....GET A JONES H-BAR!!!

i was running a 26" wide custom ti seven bar with a 8* bend and have had two rides on a jones bar with the curved extensions (picked it up in the classys)....really great stuff!!! funny...it's made me a faster ride!!! i can't wait wait to try it with a rigid fork!!!

i gotta track down some fat foam grips and get the bar taped too. i also just got a slightly longer stem in today....should work out perfectly.

cheers!
 

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
I say you need one of these... totally old school springer. That should top everything off nice! :D
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top